Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2019, 07:39   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Sizing replacement prop

Have a Tayana 37, and hoping all you T37 owners will chime in.
If you have read a previous post you will know that I discovered my current prop is a right hand prop, but I need a left hand, thus the reason for replacement. The current prop is 17" 13 pitch, however I'm trying to find out if is the correct one, other than it being the wrong turn direction.
I have a Perkins 4108 which specs call for 47hp @ 3600 rpm. Transmission is Borg Warner Velvet Drive with 1:91-1 ratio.
Any other owners with same set up that can tell me what prop they are using? Have checked with several prop sales stores and getting different results.
Thanks for any input.
Ken
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 14:21   #2

Boat: None
Re: Sizing replacement prop

Why do you want a left hand propeller? The Borg Warner gear in a 1.91:1 ratio with a left hand input rotation would use a right hand propeller.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 15:02   #3

When the transmission was removed to rebuild there was a bracket on the cable that didn’t seem to belong. When reinstalled the bracket was removed and now the boat goes in reverse when shifted into forward. The mechanic is convinced the removed bracket was used to reverse the shifting mechanism so that the prop would turn in the proper way. He examined the rotation for a long time.
It seems that when looking at the front of the engine, it is rotating clockwise, which would then be opposite (counter clockwise if looking at the prop from the stern, thus a left hand prop is needed. At least that’s the prevailing theory.
Are we wrong?
Old 20-06-2019, 05:17   #4

Yes.

Take the model number and serial number off the transmission tag and call an actual marine transmission repair shop that specializes in Borg Warner Velvet Drive gears. Or call or email Velvetdrive.com in Liberty SC and discuss this with them.
Old 20-06-2019, 05:22   #5

Ok, thank you
Old 20-06-2019, 06:07   #6

Boat: Norseman 447cc

Another good source to get a sense can be found here.
I've used this to figure out the correct pitch for my Max Prop and their calculators are pretty much dead on.
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 07:34   #7

Thanks
Old 20-06-2019, 12:58   #8

OK...talked to a repair shop and they did confirm that the right hand prop is correct. He believes that the bracket on the trans cable was used to reverse the linkage from what it is now. He obviously suggested replacing the bracket.
What confused us is that the transmission runs the opposite rotation of the engine.
Again, thank you for your input. This is another fine example of why dummies like me utilize this forum and it’s many knowledgeable members.
Old 21-06-2019, 05:31   #9

Many reduction transmissions reverse the rotation of the input shaft as output. But not all. Some of the Borg Warner units do, some don't. The 1.91:1 gears do.

No matter the unit, you have to know your correct model and gear reduction to figure it out. The fact that a right hand propeller was used for so long and did not destroy the clutch is a good indicator. Borg Warner gears do not like to have the reverse clutch pack used for forward propulsion.

On most BW units (but not all) the pump can be rotated to change the input direction. However this does not change the designed output rotation which is relative to the input rotation for that particular model.

Blue skies & fair winds to you!
Old 21-06-2019, 06:34   #10

What you have said above is much of what the shop told me. I appreciate your input. Learned something new...again��
Old 21-06-2019, 06:44   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

So do you still have the bracket?

If not the throttle control box on some models offers the option to have either push or pull cables. So reversing the cable mounting points inside the control box and not using the bracket is another option.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 07:08   #12

I do have the bracket although we really don’t know how it was attached. Unfortunately, my mechanic is going out of town for 3 weeks and I can’t fit into the space to work on it. Mechanic did suggest that it might be possible to switch things in the control box.
Meanwhile I could just put the thing in reverse to go forward. No docking necessary so don’t have to worry about screwing that up..
Thanks Pete

Tags
men