Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 18:06   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Skeg effect on prop efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDog View Post
Don't yell at me, I'm very sensitive. I know what you are thinking and yes it's true...I am crazy. I like to break all of the unwritten rules at one time, sight unseen,ad
Hi, don't worry, I won't yell. A disclaimer from the start... Everyone on this forum who knows me knows this isn't my sort of boat.

I don't think you, or anyone should buy this boat sight unseen because there severe problems with it that only you on the ground can decide if you want it or not.
The interior needs a lot of work and some replacing... Even then there's more work before it becomes a Chic Magnet.
Have a look the interior photos and see the mismatching of wood, the poor finish of it. Look at the port hole in one of the photos, either the whole thing is warped or just the surround, I can't tell.
There's plenty of internal furnishings that arnt there, the galley needs a big job done on it, by the looks.
It looks like cheap pine board inside, and that might not be good in a marine environment, I don't know... For all I know it might be maple, but hey.
Remember these photos are the best of the boat. None of the crappy bits are photographed.

It may be just what you want... But also it maybe you will lose every cent you pay for it, so its important to make the right decision. I doubt if anyone, not just you, but anyone could make a decision on this boat sight unseen.

There's a myriad of things that ring alarm bells... Starting with the build year of 2002 when it was started about 1987 and launched in 2007.
For one thing that could mean all the electronics were bought inn1987 not 2007... These things need investigating... Not just asking questions but more like a forensic investigation.

Finally, from me, is who is the guy who built it and why did he take 20 years? Because he was great at his job? Or because he was a nutter? That's what you need to work out and that takes you to get on board and sniff about. A surveyor can't do what you need to do... Work out if its correct for you.

All the best.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:09   #17

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24

From Gayle at Glen-L

Kevin,
There is no photo, but it's hard to get a perspective from a picture. I'll just tell you what the plans call out. There are two skeg versions for the Reliant, a performance or cruiser skeg. Both are about 5" wide, but the performance skeg is tapered at the aft end to about 2". I hope this helps.

Gayle Brantuk
Client Services
Old 10-01-2013, 23:29   #18

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I bought the boat. I wasn't planning to buy a project boat but you know how it is...I'm sure a couple of weeks work, some elbow grease and its off around the world we go..."NOT!"
I am an electrician by trade with a background in electronics as well. I have always worked on my own cars, trucks and backhoes and I've built my own house as well as doing a complete renovation on one. I'm a blue collar guy so the interior trim (Ash) is not the most important factor for me. If I decide to upgrade it, I will take it south to where good hardwoods and craft labor is cheaper. Eventually I will probably sail it to Panama, or possibly Costa Rica since we are currently based out of Playa Zancudo near Golfito. I hate the idea of paying Costa Rica import tax though...
I am paying cash for the boat and am budgeting $30000 to refit and finish her. Her sails are like new and her rigging is good. The engine has 181 hours but has been sitting for a long time (last reported start was last year, but it has been on the hard for much longer). I plan to go through every electrical circuit and mechanical system and inspect/repair as required, finish the punch list on the systems and equipment, do a bottom paint job, install a nice cabin sole, and do some shake down cruising locally, while keeping her in the current location in Florida. I have no time schedule except that I will spend at least a few months full time there starting in December or January. I will be there in May to stabilize its condition and plan the project.
Mark J asked if I was prepared to lose all the money I paid for it and the answer is yes, though I don't expect to have that happen. It may never be a high end sailboat but I think I can make it safe, functional and comfortable, and a boat I can be proud of.
I appreciate all the feedback I got, both positive and negative. Time will tell if I should keep the current name "Garden of Edien" or rename it to something like "Ship of Fools" or "Tilting at Windmills"
Old 10-01-2013, 23:43   #19

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

How about Iceburg keeping in line with your forum name.

Based on Bob (of Bob and Connie) recomendation, I reckon you will be OK, he said he had seen it and he has been around.

Good sailing.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 23:49   #20

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
It appears that measurement "C" may not be large enough. Hard to tell from picture.

Steve
Some would say its not required

Canoe stern style hullshape for example has the trailing edge straight up and down, no weird cutouts

Old 11-01-2013, 00:44   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
How about Iceburg keeping in line with your forum name.

Based on Bob (of Bob and Connie) recomendation, I reckon you will be OK, he said he had seen it and he has been around.

Good sailing.
I like it! The Ice=Antarctica, my favorite place, and Burg = a place to live.
S/V Iceburg...hmm!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:55   #22

When I get to Florida in May, I plan to check the prop dimensions against the drawings so kindly provided here. If I need to make changes I will make it happen. I will certainly be watching it carefully once I start doing sea trials. I think that both skegs are different than plan but the comparison skeg may be more out of plan than the one on Garden of Edien (though perhaps for good reason).
Also in reading through the Gougeon brothers book, I can see what Bob and Connie are talking about the "Stout" construction. The stringers are close together to help produce the correct hull shape but they seem almost square in shape instead of being laid on edge,and certainly substantial in size. It should be a strong hull anyway...