Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2022, 22:36   #1

Boat: Baltic 43
Solimar upper rudder bearing issue

hello,
this upper bearing is on a baltic 43 that had a seized lower bearing that was discovered during survey when i was purchasing the boat. marina shipyard in long beach did the work, had a jeffa lower bearing installed per agreement with seller and we left the upper bearing alone, just greased it. the boat went to ensenada mx, for a new deck and interior. been nearly two years and i just brought her back up towards home sf bay. in long beach i gave her a wash and then found my victron mulitiplus not working. looking into the quadrant area and found it like a rain forest. discovering the upper bearing somehow is allowing water to go through the bearing.
i'm not sure, but i found the large slotted bolts were free spinning, i tightened them down and actually added sealent around the flange edge. still water passes through if fill cavity with water.
is the rudder stock not mated correctly? or is there a gasket or something that could be missing?
for other reasons and work performed at marina shipyard in long beach, i wouldn't have them work on a old dinghy of mine.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3688.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	261104Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3687.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	261105
Silver_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder