Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2021, 14:37   #1

Stuffing Box Hose and Cutlass Bearing

Due to a propeller failure, I'm going to lift my boat out (a month or two earlier than planned). I intend to also replace the cutlass bearing and the stuffing box hose. I have some questions because I want to be prepared and not spend unnecessary days on the hard stand:
  1. Where in Australia can I get good stuffing box hose? I haven't had any luck with Google!
  2. Regarding the cutlass bearing, I'm assuming I need the shaft size (1 inch), and the P-bracket length and inner diameter - something I intend going underwater to measure before booking my haul-out... are these standard sizes? Is there anything else I need to know regarding the P-bracket before ordering the bits and pieces?

Finally, I've managed to get an old bronze Autostream 3000 feathering prop in reasonable condition. Seahawk were great in supplying instructions from their archive, but noted they no longer sell parts or anodes for that model. Any tips on where I could source a new anode. As you can see from the photo, this one is pretty well done!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aHSFNJDgfk2gvFHdA

Cheers. Alan
alanfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 16:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Stuffing Box Hose and Cutlass Bearing

Can't help you with a direct source but google for an Australian supplier for Buck Algonquin. They make the proper hoses for this application in the US.

Regarding the zinc, I have read several boaters that made special size or shaped zincs when the original was unavailable or ridiculous expensive. Zinc isn't too hard to work so if you can't buy the right one, get one that's over sized and grind it down.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 17:27   #3

Don’t know about the shipping costs to Oz, but Boatzincs.com claims to have your anodes. No affiliation, satisfied customer.

There are some pretty general common dimensions for cutlass bearings. Measure the strut/P-bracket and you’ll likely find it is a common size. All you really need is ID, OD, and length. FWIW, my personal preference is phenolic/composite shell rather than brass, I find them easier to remove later, but that’s a personal preference and you’ll likely find brass shell more available. Exalto’s website will give you a good idea of the common dimensions.

The Buck Algonquin recommendation is a good one, but if I had to guess I’d guess that a large percentage of boats have stuffing box hoses that started life as exhaust hose.
PippaB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 04:44   #4

Boat: Savage Nautilus with Yanmar 2qm15 inboard diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Can't help you with a direct source but google for an Australian supplier for Buck Algonquin. They make the proper hoses for this application in the US.

Regarding the zinc, I have read several boaters that made special size or shaped zincs when the original was unavailable or ridiculous expensive. Zinc isn't too hard to work so if you can't buy the right one, get one that's over sized and grind it down.
I agree about Buck Algonquin, it's good quality. I got mine from the US along with a heap of other stuff I bought at the same time.

As for the zinc anode. I made my own anode because I couldn't buy one the size and shape I wanted.

I first made up a mould using the contents of some tubes of a particular silicon sealer. I can't remember the name of it but it was red in colour and had a very high heat resistance. I then bought a 1 foot x 1" square stick of pure zinc which I cut into small pieces. Using an LP gas torch I melted the zinc pieces in a metal container and when I had done enough (about a third of the stick) I carefully poured it into the mould. When cooled I cleaned it up, cut it into two halves to go over the prop shaft, and drilled and tapped them to suit the screws I was using.

When finished it looked like a home made one, but it did the job it was made for.
bony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 04:49   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

QUOTE "I’d guess that a large percentage of boats have stuffing box hoses that started life as exhaust hose."

Yeah, and nothing prevents your building your own from wire reinforced hose of several types. As long as you're using the good stuff, find the right diameter and go for it.
Old 14-01-2022, 05:03   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bony View Post
... As for the zinc anode. I made my own anode because I couldn't buy one the size and shape I wanted.
... I then bought a 1 foot x 1" square stick of pure zinc which I cut into small pieces...
Zinc anodes are not, typically, pure Zn.
According to ASTM -B-418-95a Type I [used in seawater], and Type II [used in soil] standards:
Type I consists of: 0.1-0.5% Aluminum, 0.02-0.07% Cadmium, 0.005% max Iron, 0.006% max Lead, 0.006% max Copper, and the Balance Zn.
Type II consists of: 0.005% max AL, 0.003% max Cd, 0.0014% max Fe, 0.003% max Pb, 0.002% max Cu, and the Balance Zn.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 16:56   #7

Boat: Savage Nautilus with Yanmar 2qm15 inboard diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Zinc anodes are not, typically, pure Zn.
According to ASTM -B-418-95a Type I [used in seawater], and Type II [used in soil] standards:
Type I consists of: 0.1-0.5% Aluminum, 0.02-0.07% Cadmium, 0.005% max Iron, 0.006% max Lead, 0.006% max Copper, and the Balance Zn.
Type II consists of: 0.005% max AL, 0.003% max Cd, 0.0014% max Fe, 0.003% max Pb, 0.002% max Cu, and the Balance Zn.
Your wasting your time sharing your fancy figures with me. Like I said in my reply above "it did the job it was made for.".
bony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 20:19   #8

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Whilst no doubt that exhaust hose has been used many times for stuffing boxes, a comparison with the "stuffing box hose" from Buck-Algonquin will show the that the exhaust hose has fewer plies of cord in it, sometimes a lot fewer.
Wire insert/reinforced hose is not a good application for a stuffing box.
The wire helix retards the ability of clamps to squeeze the hose without using undue clamp pressure.
In fact, unless you MUST use wire insert hose for some special application, you're better off staying away from it for anything on a boat.
It's the devil's brew.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 01:48   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bony View Post
Your wasting your time sharing your fancy figures with me...
Thanks for your concern.
I don’t feel my time was wasted, if the information helped dissuade another DIYer from choosing a sub-optimal solution, when better options [actual anodes, new or reclaimed] are readily available.
Perhaps, I should apologise for wasting your time, since you don’t seem to value accurate information, that doesn’t reinforce your judgement.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 04:47   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

"Cutless" a brand name for a shaft bearing.
"Cutlass" a naval sword.