Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 16:40   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Stuffing Box Leaks

Mine is so tight against the hull you just can't really get anything in there but a hammer and a punch, and I hate doing that
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 16:40   #17

Boat: Outremer 50S

Thank's Stu for the article. I was hesitant to suggest going for the Full Monty to the OP since it's his first time, but eventually we all have to go there.

Marvin, there are numerous times I've completely replaced the packing while in the water. You cut the rings in advance (using the shaft outside the box as a guide) then open, tear out the old, and replace. Follow Stu's notes if you want to go that far. I haven't tried his drywall screw trick (but will next time I do this), I use a dental pick. The ones the hygienists use to scrape tartar. Nice sharp, but slender hook at the end. Reach in, grab the packing, yank it out.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 20:49   #18

Boat: Glander Tavana 33'

Great information! I have confidence to proceed now. Would like to get some of that dripless green goop stuff but will check at WM to see what they have. While I was down there I found the manual bilge pump 2" hose had a large hole in it. I will fix it first so I have that big build in pump available. I am thinking of repairing the bad part with a piece of 2" pvc pipe clamped into the existing good hose. When that pump, as well as my 12v one, is working I will fix the stuffing box. Thanks to all.
marvinjansen50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:27   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
No, she left.
WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Mine is so tight against the hull you just can't really get anything in there but a hammer and a punch, and I hate doing that
Yea... But sometimes we just don't have a choice... Kept well lubed, it shouldn't take much for subsequent visits... You can cut yourself a custom spanner out of flat stock... Easy Peasy, and ya don't have to make it look like Snap On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Thank's Stu for the article. I was hesitant to suggest going for the Full Monty to the OP since it's his first time, but eventually we all have to go there.

Marvin, there are numerous times I've completely replaced the packing while in the water. You cut the rings in advance (using the shaft outside the box as a guide) then open, tear out the old, and replace. Follow Stu's notes if you want to go that far. I haven't tried his drywall screw trick (but will next time I do this), I use a dental pick. The ones the hygienists use to scrape tartar. Nice sharp, but slender hook at the end. Reach in, grab the packing, yank it out.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinjansen50 View Post
Great information! I have confidence to proceed now. Would like to get some of that dripless green goop stuff but will check at WM to see what they have. While I was down there I found the manual bilge pump 2" hose had a large hole in it. I will fix it first so I have that big build in pump available. I am thinking of repairing the bad part with a piece of 2" pvc pipe clamped into the existing good hose. When that pump, as well as my 12v one, is working I will fix the stuffing box. Thanks to all.
Great plan Marvin... You'll getter goin' yer way!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:23   #20

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

If you're worried about water coming in when you loosen the stuffing box get a strip of rubber from a bicycle inner tube and wrap it tightly around the shaft log. This will stop the little bit of water that usually comes in.

Stuffing box wrenches are easily available. The pic is from Amazon. I picked up a couple of Model T wrenches from a flea market and they work fine.

Tags
leaks