Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2018, 01:28   #1

Stuffing box seal

There must be a better way for a conventional style stuffing box than flax cord and dripping

This was recommended on another post, but no info other than this pic and the Manufacturers response for more info was to see a Dealer. Not helpful when one is not in the USA

https://catalog.hydrasearchrecreatio...l150?plpver=10

I don't have room for a PYI style shaft seal, and in any case am at a loss as to why they are so expensive?

What are the modern methods of stuffing a stuffing box?
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:36   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Stuffing box seal

These things are about 4" long and a copy of the slightly more expensive Volvo seal, but at £63 a really good bit of kit that just does what it says on the box.

https://www.asap-supplies.com/propel...ng-box-91872-1

I fitted the first one 10 years ago and we are now just about to fit number 3. The first one lasted 7 years and could have gone on further but it was convenient to change it at that point. The second lasted 3 years because the engine alignment changed and caused the seal to wear on one side without me realising. However, the leak even then was only one drip a minute.

We have dry dusty bilges which are polished occasionally to make the boat smell nice :-)

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 14:38   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

HH, on our previous boat we had a conventional stuffing box seal. I repacked it with a teflon based material sourced from West Marine. It came with some special "grease"which you applied during assembly. The combination allowed you to tighten the seal to the point where it did not drip at all. Still ran cool and did not score the shaft in the 15 years or so that we used it. Also didn't need frequent adjustment.

Good stuff... wish I remembered t he manufacturer!

Jim
Old 08-05-2018, 14:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
HH, on our previous boat we had a conventional stuffing box seal. I repacked it with a teflon based material sourced from West Marine. It came with some special "grease"which you applied during assembly. The combination allowed you to tighten the seal to the point where it did not drip at all. Still ran cool and did not score the shaft in the 15 years or so that we used it. Also didn't need frequent adjustment.

Jim
It 'tis called Drip-less Moldable packing, and is sold by Western Pacific Trading. An excellent retrofit. Just follow directions carefully. My experience with it was excellent.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 20:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
Must be this stuff:
Shaft Packing Kit - "Drip Less" Moldable - Shaft Bearings & Glands - Engine Systems - Downwind Marine

Same stuff I referred to in post 1, and I now have a description and supplier.
Will give it a go!

Instructions say it must be backed up with a rope type seal, so I will go with a belts and suspenders approach using a modern backer rope:
GFO Packing | SG Group Div of MGP Systems Inc.

Seems to me that a modern material re-stuffed, stuffing box is a lot simpler to maintain in the long run than either a lip or rotating flange style shaft seal. If a stuffing box does go out, it is not a big hole in the boat gushing water, but rather a faster drip.
Cheap, safe, and simple - KISS

Hopefully it will be a long time before I worry about this again
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 21:14   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
Must be this stuff:
Shaft Packing Kit - "Drip Less" Moldable - Shaft Bearings & Glands - Engine Systems - Downwind Marine

Same stuff I referred to in post 1, and I now have a description and supplier.
Will give it a go!

Instructions say it must be backed up with a rope type seal, so I will go with a belts and suspenders approach using a modern backer rope:
GFO Packing | SG Group Div of MGP Systems Inc.

Seems to me that a modern material re-stuffed, stuffing box is a lot simpler to maintain in the long run than either a lip or rotating flange style shaft seal. If a stuffing box does go out, it is not a big hole in the boat gushing water, but rather a faster drip.
Cheap, safe, and simple - KISS

Hopefully it will be a long time before I worry about this again
Actually, what I used was not the moldable stuff, but a teflon coated (?) square "rope", coupled with the special grease.

If you must add some conventional packing to the moldable stuff, seems kinda complicated... apparently works though!

Been using a ManeCraft dripless seal on the current boat. Smaller than a PSC, simpler, and in Oz, slightly less expensive (but still dear for what it is!). Got 13 trouble free years from the last one, replaced last year.

Jim