Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2022, 16:42   #1

Techniques for sanding propeller blades

Any ideas on efficient ways to sand propeller blades?

I have 3 blade fixed propeller. In the spring I spray with a couple coats of Petit Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier and then paint with Petit Hydrocoat Eco (which is copper free). Seems to work well enough for the summer season in our New England waters.

Before spraying, I like to remove the prior year's paint which has usually become a bit "pockmarked".

I've been using 80 grit 3M Cubitron sanding discs, to sand by hand. It works but takes a bit of time and effort and is difficult to get into the "valleys" near the shaft.

Wondering if anyone has found other powered tool setups that work well. (Besides using a sand blaster which is what prior boat year did, and works great, but only if you have a that equipment)
BristolRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 17:25   #2

Boat: 41' yawl
Techniques for sanding propeller blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolRI View Post
Any ideas on efficient ways to sand propeller blades?

I have 3 blade fixed propeller. In the spring I spray with a couple coats of Petit Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier and then paint with Petit Hydrocoat Eco (which is copper free). Seems to work well enough for the summer season in our New England waters.

Before spraying, I like to remove the prior year's paint which has usually become a bit "pockmarked".

I've been using 80 grit 3M Cubitron sanding discs, to sand by hand. It works but takes a bit of time and effort and is difficult to get into the "valleys" near the shaft.

Wondering if anyone has found other powered tool setups that work well. (Besides using a sand blaster which is what prior boat year did, and works great, but only if you have a that equipment)

Huh. I just use sandpaper, and it takes about 15 minutes. Also a 3 blade prop, in an aperture. Definitely not one of the springtime jobs I worry too much about!
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:07   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Techniques for sanding propeller blades

Try a cup brush on a grinder, with some qualifications:

If you are going to paint, sand lightly after brushing because a wire brush leaves a very smooth surface.

A brass brush is preferred, so you don't leave tiny bits of steel in the propeller. Such as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Elitexion-Thr...l%2C524&sr=1-3

Tags
propeller, rope, sanding