Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2012, 09:40   #121

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: The Blonde Zinc Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Hi artM. Well I do have lots O extra zincs. But the blonde chic forgot to get more screws, well allen head screws for the thing. Really need to add that to my spares list.

Its actually not easy installing a zinc on the prop or prop shaft without some means of breathing under water gear. Lets just say that that zinc replacement underwater is a Blue Job. Because I would drop the zinc, or screw or both before I had them connected on the shaft. I have tried and its just not going to happen. Plus I'm currently in the boonies of the Cali delta where getting a diver to make house calls is tricky...

Sailinman: we're Cool ;-) besides I like an argument now and then. Keeps me on my toes...
I just installed a couple shaft zincs underwater. Took a few dives (and hyperventilating before diving) to start getting used to the idea of how to do it.

There's no rush, so if you can get the zinc in place and a single turn on the screw in one dive, you can take the rest of the day to finish screwing it on. I put a lanyard on the hex key.

I was pretty darn proud of myself when I got it done.

Sounds like you're better at most blue jobs than I am (and my domain is supposed to be the blue jobs, in theory). Maybe this should be a personal goal...
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 09:59   #122
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinman View Post
as i mentioned previously, the reason for certification is for the laywers and courts... it is easy to say that you have 'certified' equipment on board and present manufactures info, or you can prove that your equipment meets the requirements.... I for one would rather have the burden of proof on others, rather then myself... just one less thing to worry about...
As a reformed lawyer, this is really a lot of worry about nothing.

It would be pretty easy to just take a duplicate LED light it up, and take some pictures from 2 miles away as proof it is visible. And certified doesn't mean that much. If the light in question isn't visible from 2 miles, that is what's going to be called into question.

As I think someone mentioned, I would be looking at the last time the lense was cleaned, if the lense was cracked, or abraded, diminution of the brightness over time, ect... A certified or non-certified light would just be part of the question.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 10:08   #123
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have a trusted dive service do mine--or a good friend...and i get the update on condition of hull as well as cleaning and zincs changed out. all for one dollar per foot.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 10:09   #124

Boat: Taswell 49

Quote:
i understand that point but want to avoid two scenarios, one is the over zealous coast guard type, and the other is an accident and the subsequent insurance and lawyer situations...

following the laws to the letter seems to be the way to go...., it may not avoid the accident and lawyer situation but at least you can say you followed the letters of the law...

i have seen and heard multiple stories on getting citations for anchor lights... one from a family that was on deck, with multiple white rope lights strung all over the boat, cabin lights all lit, but not anchor light on top of mast....

others had lights but coasties stated it didnt meet regs, for distance viewability... not sure how they tested it or how to present evidence to support or deny that ability,. except to have the mfg state it was tested under that configuration and approved..

i am currently in an approved anchorage, but 'this anchorage' still reqs anchor lights, even though the harbor is lit up pretty well with ambient lights from all around, so the chance of collision seems rare.. and of course about 75% are not using their anchor lights, unless alerted to an upcoming inspection...

Is this REALLY true? I have NEVER heard of someone getting a citation or being hassled by the coast guard over their anchor light or lack of one. Where specifically did this happen? I want to make sure I never go there. I frequently see boats all over the place anchored with no lights. Not saying its a good idea just surprised that the coasties have time a resources for this sort of stuff.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 12:39   #125
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
I just installed a couple shaft zincs underwater. Took a few dives (and hyperventilating before diving) to start getting used to the idea of how to do it.
My problem is I'm, hum...a bit more bouyant in certain areas. So its way too much fun getting to the prop and staying there long enough. OK I probably need a weight belt.. another thing on my list.....

I've not paid to have the bottom cleaned in almost three years. I find that just moving the boat is enough to get most of the soft growth off, what little there is. OH I do scrub the water line, that gets a little messy now and then.

Costs $2.50-$3.00 a foot in the bay area for a diver. $20 to change the zinc which I have on hand...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 13:00   #126

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34

My problem is I'm, hum...a bit more bouyant in certain areas. So its way too much fun getting to the prop and staying there long enough. OK I probably need a weight belt.. another thing on my list.....

I've not paid to have the bottom cleaned in almost three years. I find that just moving the boat is enough to get most of the soft growth off, what little there is. OH I do scrub the water line, that gets a little messy now and then.

Costs $2.50-$3.00 a foot in the bay area for a diver. $20 to change the zinc which I have on hand...
Yes, I did use a weight belt. I'm still slightly buoyant, but my hull is fairly flat by the prop, so I just float up against the hull and that helps me stay in place
Old 27-07-2012, 13:10   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

ah, My boat has a rear overhang too, so it slopes up. I did find that a toilet plunger helps, but then one hand is trying to keep me in place.....Not my element I'm guessing...
Old 27-07-2012, 13:16   #128
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
Is this REALLY true? I have NEVER heard of someone getting a citation or being hassled by the coast guard over their anchor light or lack of one. Where specifically did this happen? I want to make sure I never go there. I frequently see boats all over the place anchored with no lights. Not saying its a good idea just surprised that the coasties have time a resources for this sort of stuff.

if the area is an official anchorage, then lights arent required, unless stated differently...

the area I am referring to is Marathon, FL...

I have heard that the local officials, come thru the harbor 2-3 times a year and perform sweeps.... they look to see that the wye valves is secured/loced out, and that you have proper anchor lights, and safety gear... they start with the boats that arent lit up at night first...

again, this is hearsay as I have only heard the stories, and the stories have been 'both ways'.. some say it is a problem some say it is ok to hang a light from a halyard or from the rear stay...
sailinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 13:19   #129
cruiser

the info I found on the shaft zincs state that the screws are held in place by imbedded nuts / washer / retainer somethings..

as for the lanyard on the allen wrench, that is a good idea, I was thinking of gluing the allen wrench into the head of the allen screw until you get it tightened and then just break/wiggle it out....
sailinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 16:17   #130

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Sorry girl talk.... blue jobs are for guys,, Pink for girls. Though ok I do alot of blue jobs too. Welll all of them so far but the *&@##$% prop zinc.
I found several possible definitions for the term. I assumed this is the meaning you intended.

My next comment was going to be that some would consider Engineering to a "Blue Job".

Not me though...
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 18:06   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, still not that many women in engineering, but more now then 33+ years ago. Really I started out as a draftsperson.

That whole engineering thingy was sort of an accident, I read alot. So on lunch breaks way back, I pretty much went through all the engineering books/manuals (ashrae, aspe, nec) plus all the building and fire codes. then all the manufacturers catalogs. Once I finished that I read the computer books and taught myself C/C++, VB and some assembler just for fun.

Well one thing lead to another and one day I found myself with a PE and the senior manager designing high rise buildings (well among other things).

It sort of just happened that way, just because I like to read a bit...

So thats the short brief on the whole engineering thing.
Old 27-07-2012, 20:44   #132

Quote:
It sort of just happened that way, just because I like to read a bit...
I have a 16 year old daughter who likes to read. It does not appear to be leading her toward an engineering career!

I've heard it said that men like sailing and women don't because it's very technical - basically an extended exercise in engineering and mathematics.
Old 28-07-2012, 09:35   #133

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
if the area is an official anchorage, then lights arent required, unless stated differently...

I have heard that the local officials, come thru the harbor 2-3 times a year and perform sweeps.... they look to see that the wye valves is secured/loced out, and that you have proper anchor lights, and safety gear... they start with the boats that arent lit up at night first...

again, this is hearsay as I have only heard the stories, and the stories have been 'both ways'.. some say it is a problem some say it is ok to hang a light from a halyard or from the rear stay...
To help continue the thread drift This is like an anchor thread

Marathon is (sort of) a different planet. Crowded with lots coming and going, including CG traineeeees whom (who?) have their interpretations of "regulations". Not sure they all know how to read the same.

No offense meant to the CG.
Old 28-07-2012, 14:11   #134

Boat: Taswell 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy

To help continue the thread drift This is like an anchor thread

Marathon is (sort of) a different planet. Crowded with lots coming and going, including CG traineeeees whom (who?) have their interpretations of "regulations". Not sure they all know how to read the same.

No offense meant to the CG.
I have heard nothing good about marathon from cruisers. Crazy fees no anchoring derelict boats. I have no plans of ever cruising there for this very reason. It's a shame because as a kid I lived aboard for a year and we spent a few weeks there anchored. Was a great spot I'm sad to hear it has been ruined. As for an anchor light I still have one I bought thats battery operated and meant to be hung. Even has a photo cell. I guess it's illegal in marathon...
Old 28-07-2012, 22:32   #135

Quote:

I have heard that the local officials, come thru the harbor 2-3 times a year and perform sweeps.... they start with the boats that arent lit up at night first...
In that area (meaning So Florida in general), there are a lot of derelict boats - that may be their main purpose - using lighting regulations to root out abandoned and powerless vessels in populated areas.