Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 21:10   #1

Boat: Privilege 482
Thoughts on how to straighten a bent strut?

Hello all-

We recently bent our port side shaft strut when hitting a log in Indonesia. The strut (which supports the prop shaft about 30 inches after the shaft exits the boat, and is only a couple of inches in front of the prop) has been bent sideways at an angle of about 20 degrees. The strut is glassed in to the hull of the boat. There appears to be no structural damage to the hull. By all accounts, getting the strut out is a very intensive and destructive endeavor, so we'd like to first try to straighten it in place.

The "thin" part of the strut is about 7 inches long (dimension running perpendicular to the hull) and 4 inches wide (dimension running fore/aft) and 3/4 inch thick. The "thin" part then flares out into the casing that holds the cutlass bearing (bearing is 45 mm x 120mm, sized for a 30mm prop shaft). The strut is solid bronze.

Anyone have any thoughts or tactics on straightening the strut out? We will be out of the water when we try and do this. My thoughts have included pushing with a hydraulic jack or perhaps attaching a line and pulling it with a pulley or windlass system. But I'm not an engineer or a metallurgist, so they may be a heap of concerns of which I'm not aware....

Cheers- Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1637.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	160410  
Old 11-12-2017, 23:09   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Thoughts on how to straighten a bent strut?

I wish you luck but I don't think you could ever bend it back to a point where it would be on center sufficiently to allow for normal shaft alignment methods to have your shaft spin true.
I think you're looking at a replacement project.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 00:36   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Are you sure that the strut is only glassed and not also bolted?
Old 12-12-2017, 00:54   #4

Boat: valiant 40

I have a friend who strightened his ,he said it was not as difficult as he first thought, apparently he tapped it over and the used a bar to a just alignment. I've not looked but utube is a gold mine for such things.
best of luck
Old 12-12-2017, 00:59   #5

Boat: Privilege 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Are you sure that the strut is only glassed and not also bolted?
Yes, glassed in. I've talked to some other Privilege owners who've had to work on theirs. Some models do have thru-bolts, but not mine, unfortunately.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:33   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
Yes, glassed in. I've talked to some other Privilege owners who've had to work on theirs. Some models do have thru-bolts, but not mine, unfortunately.
In that case I'd take the First do no harm approach. No point in tearing up the glass base if it is not damaged now.
Could you build a steel jig that clamps to the strut base and then comes down below the strut and across the bottom, connecting back at the base. Then drill and tap a hole at the level you want to push the strut back into line. Thread a large bolt through and try straightening. This would only put pressure on the metal strut, not the glass base.
I'm sure any welding shop could create one.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:12   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

In addition to the strut being bent, I suspect your shaft is bent as well. Hopefully you're in a locale where you have have that straightened if not replaced.

As for the strut, if the locale has someone that can weld, and some pipe available, you can make a Slide lever pretty easily. Essentially nothing more than a pry-bar with a T-Top that bares against the side of the strut at the hull and an L shaped bracket, also with a T-top that bears against the off-side of the strut, welded to a collar--a short length of somewhat larger pipe that can slide over the lever are and engage the strut. (NTS sketch follows I hope!). With this, you can "gently" coax the strut back into alignment without stressing the hull.

Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Strut Slide Lever.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	160415  
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:19   #8

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

I would contact a guy who specializes in marine shaft straightening: Keith Fenner.

TurnWright Machine Works | Let's Repair America One Project At A Time!
TreblePlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:46   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreblePlink View Post
I would contact a guy who specializes in marine shaft straightening: Keith Fenner.

TurnWright Machine Works | Let's Repair America One Project At A Time!
Ah... I think you missed the part about the OP being in Indonesia, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:36   #10

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Ah... I think you missed the part about the OP being in Indonesia, eh?
No. Getting a real expert's advice via phone or email can save a lot of headaches ...
TreblePlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:06   #11

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

You are getting some good ideas here, I think it would be worth a try, you have nothing to lose. The main thing is to bend the strut without putting strain on the attachment area. (Hull) A hydraulic jack should provide all the force you need, you just need to create a fixture that will concentrate the forces on the strut itself. Good luck.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:36   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Just a caution... a friend had a slightly bent strut straightened on his monohull. Looked good until it sheared off at the hull several hundred miles later. Fortunately his stuffing box held up.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:12   #13

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Some Greek guy once boasted that if someone gave him a lever he could move the world.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:26   #14

Boat: Moana 33

With most metals, it's a good idea to apply heat while straightening (to help avoid the type of brittle failure described above). Then again, too much heat could damage the fiberglass if not done by someone knowledgable. Good luck.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:25   #15

Boat: Tartan 37

Following, There's a guy at Elizabeth City Shipyard, who's now a surveyor and travels all over the world. I'm not saying that he comes there to fix it. But the guy is amazing. His yard is at the end of the Dismal Swamp ditch and he has straighten more things than anyone. I know a boater who hit a log in the ditch, had a huge vibration, went into his yard. Lloyd lifted the boat, got this big old mallet and starting beating away. Dropped the boat back in the water. Friend said the boat, never ran smoother. I would ask him, about the approach you're thinking. I known Lloyd for years and would trust his opinion, as he knows more about boats than most I know.
Phone: +1 (252) 335-0171
Fax: +1 (252) 338-5188
722 Riverside Avenue
Elizabeth City, NC 27909
AICW, Pasquotank River 51.2 mile marker
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote