Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2017, 21:14   #1

Too many barnacles. ..best way of preventing

Greetings to all,this being my first posting after many years of reading the wealth of interesting articles and the helpful suggestions of members I am now seeking help with an annoying problem.
We are currently in a marina on the East coast of OZ, where the current movement is very sluggish and the water is constantly fairly warm, around 24 cent.
Within 2 months of arriving here, my previously clean ss prop and shaft have become covered by a thick layer of very sharp barnacles. These I scraped off clean, with the boat remaining in the water. One month later the problem was nearly as bad again. I cleaned it all again.
As I was informed by the locals that the bay/harbour is frequently visited by bull sharks which I have no desire to meet,
I'm now looking for solutions that don't involve staying in the water for too long.
I'm thinking along the lines of placing a plastic bag over the prop and shaft and sealing light and fresh seawater out.
Also perhaps placing something in the bag that inhibits marine growth.
Has anyone any useful suggestions?
I have at different times used anti fouling, propspeed, but nothing seems to adhere to stainless steel.
Hauling out is not practical at this stage and the boat will remain in the present location for the next three months.
I would appreciate your suggestions.
Petros13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 21:33   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Too many barnacles. ..best way of preventing

Do as you already thought,

Clean it once more, bag it, with a light line around the base of a knot tied in one corner of a big trash bag, and squeeze most of the water with its nutrients out of the back, and rubber band it down. With most of the water gone, there's little nutrients for anything to grow, and it will do you for 3 months. Then, use the line to pull the bag off (won't have to go in the water for that.

I would try the prop speed again, we've had better success with it than prop gold. The timing is super important for getting the coat on after the primer.

Ann
Old 30-03-2017, 21:37   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, clean it and bag it. You can take a light line around the base of a knot you tie in the corner of a large trash bag back to the boat with you. The bag will exclude any more nutrients. Use light sewing thread to secure the bag as far up the shaft as you need/ or can do it. It'll be good as long as it's there, but remember to remove it before turning the props! The time we did it, it worked well, but I don't remember if the time was over 2 months.

Ann
Old 31-03-2017, 04:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Petros.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 08:32   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Is anyone using the system that uses vibration to keep critters from getting comfortable below the waterline?

How Ultrasonic Works to Prevent Growth - UltraSonic Antifouling LtdUltraSonic Antifouling Ltd
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 09:26   #6

Pull your prop off and clean it down to bare metal then paint it with cold galvanizing paint.Nothng will grow on it for over a year.
Old 31-03-2017, 09:28   #7
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker37 View Post
Pull your prop off and clean it down to bare metal then paint it with cold galvanizing paint.Nothng will grow on it for over a year.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 09:31   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

My first inclination would be to ask other boaters in the marina what they do to slow growth on their boat bottoms and running gear.

I suspect they hire a diver to clean their boats and you will probably end up doing the same.
Old 31-03-2017, 09:31   #9

just bought one 1200$ will sea how it does
roberthowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 09:32   #10

Don't put the boat in salt water....problem solved.
Old 31-03-2017, 09:36   #11

I had my striker sportfish in sebastian and the barnicles there grow so fast.I painted both my props with cold galvanizing paint.After a year in the water there nothing grew on them.We also painted the prop on another boat that has been in the water at sebastian and it has been 3 years with nothing growing on that prop.So it does work so dont knock it till you try it.
Old 31-03-2017, 09:38   #12
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
So it does work so dont knock it till you try it.
Yeah, I have cleaned many, many boats that use it. And while it is better than nothing (and certainly cheaper and easier to apply than Prop Speed), it sure as hell doesn't go a year with nothing growing on it. Not in this neck of the woods anyway.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 11:53   #13

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

Hey Striker !
I have never heard of the 'cold galv. ' treatment. However, i'm about to slip and will certainly try it out on one prop.. This is Coral Coast Australia and i'll report results in about 3 months time.
A Diver cleaned them last few days , in the Brisbane River . He confirmed the Bull Shark threat but uses an electronic device to keep sharks at bay. However, he told me that the electronic pulse is v. similar to the vibrations put out by a female Croc . in season.!! He is v. cautious during the Croc. breeding season !!
Cheers, Bob
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 13:15   #14

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Works for a month or so, at best, on the southeast US coast. Less if the prop spins from time to time.
Old 31-03-2017, 13:59   #15

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Well, plastic bag used as previously suggested, with the addition of, say, a dozen or two copper screws or nuts, would probably take care of things as long as the bag remained reasonably well sealed, and maybe longer. I do not see damage to the prop -or the shaft- from the copper, but it might stunt the growth of any barnacles that managed to stay alive long enough to consider sticking around and growing. Would this offend the local environmental police? I do not know.

Tags
barnacles