Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2022, 14:37   #1

Boat: Bali 4.3 43'
TwinDisc Technodrive SP60 Won't reverse

So me and my pier mates are a bit confuddled. We're looking for an authority on the Technodrive SP60; not obvious in our region. Anyway, I've adjusted the lever throw so that it goes a full 1.5" in both directions. At the end of the throws it cams out slightly by 1/4". However, it's only engaging in forward, the reverse won't. So forward and neutral work just fine. If the lever seems to throw properly front to back, anyone have any ideas, even of internal potential problems, would it be the drive group assembly or would it be the cone clutch or what could it be?

We're going to haul out to replace the lower drive seals so that we can open the drive while in the water, but it could be nice to work on it on the hard if I can get some ideas, or better yet a good engineering contact that can walk me or a sail drive mechanic through it.

Frank
SailinTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 20:59   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: TwinDisc Technodrive SP60 Won't reverse

First, welcome to the forum. Can you disconnect the cable off the lever and manually engage reverse?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 21:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
First, welcome to the forum. Can you disconnect the cable off the lever and manually engage reverse?
I can't get the pin out, but I did loosen to the point the cable was loose to find the end of the travel by hand. It did not engage by hand either. If it needs more push to get in gear I'd be surprised since it moves so easily from neutral to forward and back, wouldn't expect a major difference for reverse.
Old 04-04-2022, 01:51   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Frank.

What Celestial said.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:08   #5

Following
mark maulden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 15:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark maulden View Post
Following
Have you had a similar issue or have an SP60?
Old 04-04-2022, 19:19   #7

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Beta Marine is now supplying sp60s as their saildrive package. Perhaps they can give you some data or at least point you to someone in your area that could be helpful.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 20:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Beta Marine is now supplying sp60s as their saildrive package. Perhaps they can give you some data or at least point you to someone in your area that could be helpful.
Thanks Captain Bill, I actually bought the lower seals from them (quite helpful). I have the drawings and even service manual but can't wrap my head around why it would go in one gear and not the other. being stuck in gear I can understand since the clutch gets stuck, but why it prevents only reverse boggles me. Once the lower seals are redone ill feel better about opening the top to look at the clutch assembly or removing the drive shift lever assembly without worrying about a small water leak turning into a big problem. I was just hoping for likely part or issue guidance.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:26   #9

Boat: None

First, try removing the cable and shifting by hand. If that does not show proper engagement, there is a simple adjustment that can be made to the shifting mechanism. It is described in the work shop manual. Or call Beta.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2023, 13:41   #10

I have the same problem with my Twin Disc SP60, it won't reverse. Last summer, the entire sailing and boating season was ruined for me because of it. How to solve the problem. Captain Bill suggested some simple adjustment of the shifting mechanism described in the Service Manual, but I could not find that procedure in the manual. Apart from that, it is unclear to me exactly what the shifting mechanism is because such a part does not exist in the nomenclature of SP60 parts. What exactly needs to be done, does anyone know. There are not many nautical seasons ahead of me and I want to use every moment and health as much as it still serves me for good sailing. Coronado 35 kech, Serbia and Montenegro, best regards, Goran
gr.gorran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2023, 15:03   #11

G’day Goran, it’s worth pointing out that your saildrive is only a Twindisc because the venerable US company bought into an Italian company called Technomarine. It’s a cone clutch type gearbox and the service manual is translated from the original Italian so if you can make any sense at all out of it, well done. It has good photo’s and all the setting dimensions though but very little about the cones or shift mechanism which is probably where the problem resides. Being in the vicinity of Italy could be a huge advantage, they make em there so it’s not impossible that you might find a mechanic that knows em well in your area, or just send the top box across to Italy to the factory or dealership. Did I mention “check the type and viscosity of the lube oil”, it’s the starting point for the troubleshooting.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind