Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2018, 08:44   #1

Unmaintained Saildrive? Am I asking for it...

I recently looked at 1984 Wauquiez Pretorien that has sat in a marina for a number of years. Researching the boat, it seems its been unmaintained and just floating in the marina for possibly 7 years. The owner is no longer around and just wants the boat off of his hands. After a quick search, it looks like saildrives have a very strict maintenance schedule and if not followed, death and destruction are imminent. Seriously though, am I asking for trouble if I purchase the boat? When I brought it up to the broker, he said that there was already an accepted offer on the boat, but the mechanical surveyor failed the motor. He said that the surveyor was well known to harshly survey mechanical systems in order to generate business for himself. He then said that their mechanical surveyor looked at it and said just change the fluids and its fine. I'm far more inclined to believe a purchasers survey than I am a brokers. If we did purchase the boat and it the motor was junk, what are we looking at for a replacement cost? If it was serviceable, it looks like just changing the bladder is going to cost $4k, not to mention fluids, belts etc. Typically I would do these myself, but in this case I think I would rather have a trusted professional do them so they can also closely inspect it given its history. The engine a 1984 Volvo, MD11D FW cooled.
Wandering Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 08:59   #2

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia
Re: Unmaintained Saildrive? Am I asking for it...

Are you looking out for the Seller? That is sooooooooooooo sweet!

Since you will be the one who pays for what ever is wrong with the engine and drive, suggest you look out for the Buyer ( that's you) and assume the worst, since the Broker and Seller wont open their wallets to help pay for what needs to make it run.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 09:28   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

The engine isn’t the saildrive.

Chances are the engine is fine, but the saildrive May be shot. Replacing only the lower unit of the saildrive is still expensive, but not the end of the world.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 10:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
The engine isn’t the saildrive.

Chances are the engine is fine, but the saildrive May be shot. Replacing only the lower unit of the saildrive is still expensive, but not the end of the world.
Thank you. I assumed the engine was specific to the sail drive. So the engine can either be used for either a conventional shaft drive set-up or sail drive. Its just the lower that varies between them. I'll have to check out whats involved with replacing the lower unit.
Old 29-03-2018, 10:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Are you looking out for the Seller? That is sooooooooooooo sweet!
No, hence hence why I'm trying to figure out WTF is going on and if its worth me buying.
Old 29-03-2018, 11:17   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"He then said that their mechanical surveyor looked at it and said just change the fluids and its fine."
Then he would have no problem giving you a written guarantee stating that he will pay fully and promptly for any repairs, breakdowns, or collateral damage caused by an engine failure for the next two years.

Oh, wait, he won't put it in writing?

Saildrives are known to be foul tempered, more so than camels, if they don't receive proper anti-corrosion maintenance. And old Volvos can and do eventually wear out. On some models, salt water rots out cooling passages over time, and spares stop being available after enough years. Forty year old powerplant with seven years of no maintenance in the water?

IF you can find an authorized Volvo shop, or a highly praised independent mechanic, ask them what it would cost to tear down and overhaul that engine "worst case". Now tell--tell, do not ask--the seller that if he can put that much in an escrow account, to be used to any necessary repairs within 90 days, that you'll consider buying the boat.

Unless the boat is already priced so that the engine is "valueless" to start.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 11:30   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800

It's impossible to know what sort of condition the saildrive is in without inspecting it. The main concerns would be exterior corrosion on the housing and water ingress causing corrosion of internal components. Either of these by themselves can be reason to replace the whole thing.

You might want to get a bid on the cost of replacing the entire drive. I would guess $5k-$10k. Due to the nature of saildrives, it is likely you will have this done at some point, even if not right away.

Good luck.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 07:47   #8

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

34 year old motor and saildrive. If it has been in saltwater and does not have closed cooling, the entire system is fully depreciated. Plan on remove/replace engine and saildrive with new and get prices for the work before you make offer.

If she hasnt been used or hauled in 7 years, odds are all the other systems, control cables, pumps, electrical are in poor shape and will need repair.

Remember, a boat is a hole in the water into which one throws money.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 08:33   #9

Boat: Privilege 435

Your main concern with the saildrive is corrosion. It's aluminium and therefore the softest metal on the boat underwater. If there is no proper galvanic protection on it, there's a good chance that the whole leg is eaten away. The bottom part of the leg will set you back just over $2k but it's definitely a DIY job. Nothing complicated at all.

As far as the upper gearbox on the drive is concerned, and the engine itself, it's a bit of a generalization but the chances are that if you change the fluids, everything will be just fine.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 09:08   #10

The recomendations from cat charter co is haul out every 6 months.
Oil change and zincs, zincs, zincs.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 09:19   #11

Boat: Victoire 1122

If the boat has been in a fresh water marina thing may not be all that bad. For slt water it depends but if water did enter the mechanics then assume a total loss on the saildrive. A new one goes about 4-5k Euro. You may be lucky and find a used one but be aware of the gear ratio that may differ.
Saildrives are not as bad as many people want you to believe but do take some care. There is only one way to tell and that is a haul-out. If the outside is good and the oil is not milky (water in oil) you have a good chance the drive is still sound. If the engine is raw-water coolded I’d be worried if on salt water.

Arno
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 09:44   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Dixie View Post
Seriously though, am I asking for trouble if I purchase the boat?
Perhaps, perhaps not, which is why you will have the yacht surveyed out of the water before buying.

Quote:
When I brought it up to the broker, he said that there was already an accepted offer on the boat
Of course there is an accepted offer on the boat and you need to buy it quickly or it will be gone, said the professional seller who only eats by selling boats

Quote:
it looks like just changing the bladder is going to cost $4k, not to mention fluids, belts etc.
How much How much do Volvo want for a sail drive seal?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 10:11   #13

It's probably been sitting there for the last 7 years because of the motor problems ! Buyer beware !
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 10:39   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

I think you have assume the sail drives are toast underwater at least. Depending on the hours it maybe cheaper to replace the whole thing. I think I paid about $3500 each for mine. There’s a thread about my experience if you search for it.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 12:47   #15

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

A boat in salt water...sitting for seven years with no maintenance...OMG...so many factors affecting the sail drive. I would be shocked if the zincs haven't been eaten alive in that time. Corrosion is no joking matter. The Saildrive is one thing...That is probably close to 8k with labor...or more. But if that boat has been sitting for that long of time with no attention...my goodness...please do yourself a favor and spend the thousand dollars or so to get a good sea trial and pull that sucker and have the meanest baddest most critical sob you can find to go over that engine and saildrive.

Maybe you know or don't know....but a survey is a general bill of health. If i were seriously interested in this boat I would want a mechanical survey. They ain't the same thing. I know the price of the boat has tempted many an unexperienced man before. But there is a good reason that price is so low for a once nice boat....you could be eaten alive financially if you swallow that hook.

All the electrics....cooling of the engine while engine is under load...and i don't mean a 15 minute spin around the marina...I can't imagine what the interior of that motor might be in with that length of neglect. A whole new engine with drive could easily cost you 15-20k installed.

Be calm and be smart about this boat. I'm not saying run for your life. I am saying be patient and pay good money to get the right people to survey the boat. I am pretty sure you will find out this boat is full of gremlins. If you can get a price that covers all of these neglectful things that are put right...then it might be of interest....but then you have lost time as another aspect ....plus the frustration of all the things that don't go quite the way you expect. Nothing goes easy when it comes to boats....well...the money certainly goes easily out of the wallet.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, saildrive