Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2021, 11:22   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 45 build #005
Send a message via Skype™ to stevec195
Vetus Rim Drive Thruster

New to me boat is having trouble with a less than year old Vetus rim drive Vetus RD160. Thrusting operation became suddenly intermittent, then only one one direction and now nothing at all. Highlights are:
1. Divers down twice to check for fouling and damage-blades in fine shape, but prop will not manually turn. Prop Assy cannot be removed in the water.
2. Removed thruster terminal cap and measured voltage while thrusting was commanded and got a nominal 52vdc with no drop off during command. Audible rhythmic clunking heard during command.
3. Wiring, fuses all solid
4. Reset control module-no help

I’ve been in touch with technical rep, who I’m going to have another talk with Monday, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with a rim drive. I don’t see any way that something could have contaminated whatever bearing surface lives in there since there really is only fractional clearance between the rotating shroud and the rest of the drive assembly. Literally, this seems like the simplest design possible. Any thoughts?
stevec195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2021, 06:35   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Vetus Rim Drive Thruster

I suspect that that clunking is the motor trying to turn. You are supplying current, it is not turning, it cannot be turned, and it makes clunking noises. The problem could be mechanical - something between the two parts of the motor or jamming the prop, or it could be electrical and simply be shorting. Either way, it sounds like disassembly is in order, and that means pulling the boat. On shore, clamp it down, apply voltage, and that sucker should spin big time. If not, then go looking for errant fishing line or burnt wiring inside.