Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2013, 23:56   #1

Volvo 120 s / MD11D engine new prop

i have just changed over my hub ( it was cracked ) and prop on the boat and have unfortunately ended up with the opposite direction new prop ( right vs left handed )

Does it matter ?? can i just reverse the throttle controls ???

I have spoken to 2 different Volvo mechanics - 1 said it was bad but mainly because the clutch will be bedded in one direction and i might have probs with this .... the other said ... that might happen but the reverse gear will be almost brand new ( a glass half full kind of guy ) .... and that when he fits 2 sail drives to boats he puts opposite direction props on them anyway ....

Neither seemed to say it was an absolute problem but the old salts around the club are saying they think it is unlikely that the gear ratio is the same in both directions and the reverse gear would not be manufactured to do lots of work etc ....

I need help from a Cruising Forum expert

please assist

Matthew
bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 05:39   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Volvo 120 s / MD11D engine new prop

The gear ratio is the same both directions on the Volvo 120 saildrive. Reversing it is simply a matter of reversing the attachment point on the shift control. The clutch is a cone clutch and while it may be well-bedded in the forward direction, that has nothing to do with the reverse. The helical gears, however, may be better seated in forward and when you reverse them, they may "sing" a bit as they set in the other direction over time.

Has anyone ever noticed that "old salts around the club" are almost always wrong?

BTW, I'm no "expert", but we do own two 120 saildrives and reversed one of them after 10 years of use in the opposite direction.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, volvo