Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2020, 11:45   #1

Volvo 120 saildrive

Hi
Two weeks ago I change the seals on my saildrive , I also notice the shaft had a score so I fitted a skf speedy sleeve , is I have done a few times before without any problems .
This time two weeks on and I have water in the drive again ,
I had check the oil every day and there been no sign of water yesterday we had to motor for 4 hours and when checked the oil was milky .
I use genuine Volvo seals .
As any one else had this problem , or any other suggestion .
My concean now is if I haul out again and once strip I can't find any problems .
Thanks
medsailor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:15   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: Volvo 120 saildrive

There is a chance that it is the drain plug o ring. Overfilling even a little will cause these drives to leak. Instead of a speedy sleeve I have successfully shimmed the new seals so they don't bear on the groove. With patience you can wiggle a small diameter stiff plastic tube to the bottom of the drive from the dipstick hole to extract the milky oil.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 21:28   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
There is a chance that it is the drain plug o ring. Overfilling even a little will cause these drives to leak. Instead of a speedy sleeve I have successfully shimmed the new seals so they don't bear on the groove. With patience you can wiggle a small diameter stiff plastic tube to the bottom of the drive from the dipstick hole to extract the milky oil.
It's only been filled to the min mark so I could keep an eye on the level ,
The drain plus is a possibility as I didn't change the O ring , but surely if it was going to leak it would puss oil out ?

I don't think the pipe would reach to the bottom of the saildrive on a 120se I know on the new 130 there an extra pipe where you can put a sucking pipe in to drain al the oil out .

As I said the worry is stripping it again and finding othering .
Thanks for the reply .
Old 08-08-2020, 22:18   #4

Whats size is the thread on the dip stick? Thinking of making up a header tank for the oil and don't want to mix diffent metal parts on the saildrive .
Old 08-08-2020, 22:44   #5
cruiser

Boat: Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’

Greetings all,

I installed header tanks for both of my Yanmar SD20’s last year. I can send pics of them tomorrow when I am down at the boat. The threads for the Yanmar are:

Drain plugs M10x1.50
SD20 oil cap/dipstick M33x2 hydraulic drain plug

I imagine they are the same for your saildrive as well. I was able to find a stainless hydraulic drain plug that fit the dipstick port with an O-ring seal. I then drilled and tapped it in the center so I could install a hose barb. Then used a plastic universal “expansion” tank with a vented cap and a molded in hose barb fitting on the bottom. I mounted the tank as high as I could in the engine space and connected the hose barbs with a 1/4” chunk of fuel hose. The expansion tanks are the “white” semi-translucent plastic that you can easily see the fluid level through. I used a black permanent marker (Sharpie) to mark the oil level so i can see at a glance if I am gaining or losing fluid.

So far they are working as designed.

Safe Journeys,
~Jake
Jahwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 23:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahwork View Post
Greetings all,

I installed header tanks for both of my Yanmar SD20’s last year. I can send pics of them tomorrow when I am down at the boat. The threads for the Yanmar are:

Drain plugs M10x1.50
SD20 oil cap/dipstick M33x2 hydraulic drain plug

I imagine they are the same for your saildrive as well. I was able to find a stainless hydraulic drain plug that fit the dipstick port with an O-ring seal. I then drilled and tapped it in the center so I could install a hose barb. Then used a plastic universal “expansion” tank with a vented cap and a molded in hose barb fitting on the bottom. I mounted the tank as high as I could in the engine space and connected the hose barbs with a 1/4” chunk of fuel hose. The expansion tanks are the “white” semi-translucent plastic that you can easily see the fluid level through. I used a black permanent marker (Sharpie) to mark the oil level so i can see at a glance if I am gaining or losing fluid.

So far they are working as designed.

Safe Journeys,
~Jake
Thanks Jakel.
What's your option on the header tank , how much do you think it help to stop water coming in ?
Old 08-08-2020, 23:11   #7
cruiser

Boat: Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’

I think the theory makes sense to me. Oil being lighter than water and the elevated oil level creating a “head” pressure theoretically should keep water out. Sometimes theories are great in textbooks and not so great in the real world. So far in practice the theory seems to be proving true. I completely rebuilt my saildrives with all new bearings, seals, diaphragms etc... I have prob less than 20 hours on them since then, as I have been rebuilding the rest of the boat, so haven’t used it much. As such, my “test” is probably not the best sample. After I get more hours of runtime it should be more telling. I do like the fact that I can check the fluid level at a glance and hopefully catch any issues early.

Prob not much help but it is the best I can do.

Safe Journeys,
~Jake
Jahwork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, saildrive, volvo