Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2021, 15:43   #1

Boat: Corbin 39
Volvo Saildrive

Hi
I am getting water infiltration into the lower saildrive unit turning the oil milky.
All seals and hardware around the prop shaft have been replaced two months ago. The oil drain plug is solid and has never been undone.
All oil changes through the dipstick tube.
We are leaving Turks and Caicos in two weeks for the DR.
Anyone with Volvo Saildrive knowledge please let me know if there could be another source for the water getting into the transmission that I’ve missed.
Thank you so much in advance
Mike T.
mike toynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 16:21   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: Volvo Saildrive

One likely possibility is that the oil level is too high. Better to fill it just up to the bottom of the mark. Too much oil doesn't allow for expansion and can induce powerful suction on cool down. Second guess would be monofilament fishing line wrapped on shaft which can quickly destroy a seal. Third guess is an outer seal installed backwards. With patience it is possible to insert stiff tubing through the dipstick hole and work it to the bottom to extract the contaminated oil. You can mitigate a seal leak by loosening the dipstick (breaks the suction) after each use but don't forget to retighten (I would leave my key down there to be sure). Some attach a vent tube or header tank to the dipstick threads.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 16:56   #3

It could be the gasket between the transmission and the saildrive leg. (It’s also where the boot attaches.)
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 05:16   #4

Perhaps the outer seal was installed backwards. I can change the oil through the dipstick tube no problem. I have also tried different levels of oil, nothing too drastic. There is quite a suction when I loosen the dipstick so I’ll try your suggestion. The shaft appears ok when I have dove it, nothing attached. I was hoping to avoid a haul out.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 16-04-2021, 05:19   #5

I believe the saildrive boot is up for replacement so I’ll have the gasket you mention looked at at the same time.
Cheers

Tags
sail, saildrive, volvo