Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2022, 08:24   #1

Boat: 2016 Fountain Pajot SABA 50
volvo saildrive dealer in Fort Lauderdale

I've got a 2016 Saba 50 with a 150S saildrive that is giving me fits. Currently the drive is engaging in forward and reverse but when I add rpm's the prop wash doesn't increase and may actually decrease. I have a company working on it and they aren't getting it fixed properly. I need a good qualified company to fix this drive properly. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.
recurveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 17:12   #2

Re: volvo saildrive dealer in Fort Lauderdale

Two causes quickly come to mind, slipping clutch packs in the drive, or a spun hub on the prop. It’s unlikely that both the forward and reverse clutch packs would be damaged, but if the prop hub was spun it would show up in both forward and reverse gear. Have you tried a different prop?
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 17:46   #3

Boat: St Francis MKII 50'

They are a bit further north, but, you can call Melbourne Marine Diesel. They are very good. If you ask, Dave might be willing to drive down there.
catalystcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 15:07   #4

Boat: 2016 Fountain Pajot SABA 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
Two causes quickly come to mind, slipping clutch packs in the drive, or a spun hub on the prop. It’s unlikely that both the forward and reverse clutch packs would be damaged, but if the prop hub was spun it would show up in both forward and reverse gear. Have you tried a different prop?
you ended up being right. The prop was spun. Originally I didn't know how to tell if the prop was spun. We had a diver come out and take the prop off and look at it. He said it wasn't spun. Then I decided to put my gear on and take the prop off. Watched a youtube video about marking the prop so you can tell if it is spun and put it back on. I put the prop back on and the mark was not in the same spot which meant my prop was spun. Got a new prop and rehubbed the old one for a spare. Two days later we spun the prop on the other side. Got another new prop and rehubbed that prop for two spares.
recurveman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fort lauderdale, sail, saildrive, volvo