Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 15:36   #1

Boat: Farr37 - Southern Cross
Volvopenta Folding Prop - Feedback

Hi all,

I am currently looking at replacement options for my 2 bladed Max Prop that is just plain worn our after giving 24 years of good service. Prop has electolysis damage on the blades & there is a fair bit of wear in the gears. There is really bad vibration at about 2000 rpm so I can't get to cruising RPM without the fear of shaking the boat apart!! (Alignment & engine mounts have been checked & are OK...)

My shoping list of potential replacements includes Kiwi prop 3 bladed feathering, Autostream 2 or 3 bladed feathering, Slipstream 2 or 3 bladed folding and a few others. I am limited a bit by budget so I feel the slipstream 3 bladed feathering may be out of reach at AUD$3,700...

I'm alo interested in the Volvo folding prop - I've searched the forums but haven't seen anything much about them. Any one have any experiences with them (good or bad..)

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VP.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	7056  
Spirit28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 15:58   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Props and all

Hey, Spirit,

A bit of experience:
We had an Autostream 3 blade on Insatiable I for the last six years we owned her, and it gave good service and is still going well five years on for the new owner. On Insatiable II we installed a Flex-O-Fold 3 blade folding prop, and are very happy with it after 5 years of service. The price was WAY better than either Volvo or Gori, and I had it shipped from the USA to Tasmania. Incidentally, Bob Perry mentioned that he was impressed with the f-o-f.

This is a small sample, but it represents real world heavy cruising usage.

Hope that it helps.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying gladstone, Qld Oz
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 16:43   #3

Boat: Farr37 - Southern Cross
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hey, Spirit,

A bit of experience:
We had an Autostream 3 blade on Insatiable I for the last six years we owned her, and it gave good service and is still going well five years on for the new owner. On Insatiable II we installed a Flex-O-Fold 3 blade folding prop, and are very happy with it after 5 years of service. The price was WAY better than either Volvo or Gori, and I had it shipped from the USA to Tasmania. Incidentally, Bob Perry mentioned that he was impressed with the f-o-f.

This is a small sample, but it represents real world heavy cruising usage.

Hope that it helps.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying gladstone, Qld Oz
Hi Jim - thanks for the reply.

Yes - forgot about f-o-f Will do a bit more reasearch. Exhange rate will be a killer at the moment though!!

btw - When you were in Consitition Dock in Hobart a while back, I used to walk past Insatiable on the way to the office. Also saw you in a few of the anchorages "down the channel" as well. You certainly have a nice vessel.

Regards
Spirit28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 17:54   #4

Nigel Calder praised the Volvo folding prop on his new Malo. Heard at one of his recent presentations. He said something about doing a folding/feathering prop survey sometime this year, maybe.
westsail42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 14:13   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Prop up the dollar of your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit28 View Post
btw - When you were in Consitition Dock in Hobart a while back, I used to walk past Insatiable on the way to the office. Also saw you in a few of the anchorages "down the channel" as well. You certainly have a nice vessel.

Regards
Spirit,

Thanks for the kind words. Should you see us again, please knock us up and come aboard for a cuppa.

Doesn't look like we will make it to Tassie this year -- we're currently in the States tending to medical issues, and won't likey be back aboard until April... and as you know, the temperature in Tassie by that time of year will not support life as we know it!

Good luck with the prop hunt... with the wildness of the financial world, who knows what currencies will be in the drivers seat tomorrow? But, I suppose that either Autostream or Kiwiprop will still be viable.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:35   #6

Boat: Antares 44i - Field Trip
Re: Volvopenta Folding Prop - Feedback

Spirit 28, did you go with the Volvo props? Curious, as I've been hearing about some issues regarding reverse performance. Here is a video as well. I have them on my boat, but boat is not in water yet so I don't know if there are problems, but getting a little antsy. Boat splashed next week!

https://svfieldtrip.blogspot.com
mdsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote