Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2018, 01:00   #1

What is wrong with my fixed 3 blade propeller

Good morning all ( EU-timezone her ) ,

last May I had 2 year haul-out , you know the usual stuff , AF , zincs .....
I decided to , again , try to give the propeller blades a kind of AF coating . I've tried many years ago to find out this fairly expensive coating was gone in no time.
But on this occasion I decided , as an experiment , to apply epoxy resin with added copper oxyde . Good thing I did , because it revealed something that would not visible by using untreated blades .
2 months later part of that coat was halfway gone on 2 blades , the third one still looked pristine .
After 4 months the complete coat on 2 blades was gone .
No big deal , to be expected , but the problem seems to be that 1 blade has not been touched , as if it's not working or hasn't been doing anything .
Some extra info , my cutless bearing is in there for about 8 years and hardly shows any signs of wear , so there is no unbalance in that department .

The propeller is Radice OTE 13R
Could anyone tell me what's wrong ? How in gods name can 1 blade stay out of the picture so to speak when it doesn't seem to be out of position ( by the looks of it )

Thanks and regards
bobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 19:13   #2

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: What is wrong with my fixed 3 blade propeller

Perhaps you might measure the pitch of that blade and compare to that of one of the blades that show wear of the a/f.

Old 30-09-2018, 23:59   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

You probably need to stir the coating a bit more before and during application.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 20:16   #4

Alan , thanks for the link , it will however take another 2 years for the next haul out so I can get the prop off . That will give me the opportunity to replace the cutless , I already have a spare in stock .

Raymond , at first I wasn't sure if that was meant as a joke , but then it got to me . No , the mix was fine for all 3 blades ,coats were equally done, and the thing is this untouched blade really looks untouched .Last time I was looking at it there were no traces of wear . As where the 2 other blades are bronze .
This is very odd , could a propeller blade be taken that far out of the picture ?
Now in the past I have picked up some ropes a few times , occasionally with engine stall as a consequence . But to bend a blade that much , it should show on a visual inspecting that was done 5 months ago .

I was hoping to find someone with a similar experience and try to find out if a new propeller is called for .

Regards
bobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3 blade, propeller, rope