Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 06:51   #1

Wind pilot?? Please help

I have a 2002 Bruce Roberts offshore sailboat. I am trying to add a wind pilot or hydraulic Auto pilot but I am unsure which one to get. If I do that hydraulic autopilot can someone direct me to what are the pilot will handle a 28,000 lb boat and also if I can be directed toward where I can buy a wind pilot I prefer used only because I'm a disabled about living my disability check and can't afford big chunk of changes coming out of the bank otherwise I do know what boat stands for LOL.. ty
Vandeusen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:43   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Wind pilot?? Please help

Hello, Vandeusen,

There's a book by a man called Letcher, Self Steering for Small Boats. If you read it, it will give you some ideas to try on your Roberts. Your Boat is difficult for wind steering, because of its shape. You really need pretty unobstructed air flow to the "fly" of the vane, so that it can respond quickly, and anything back that that gets in the way of it would be a problem.

My husband built an auxiliary rudder type wind vane for our first Insatiable, and it worked well for us. He copied parts of the old Autohelm wind steering system, but he took the design for the rudder out of a book for airplane wing design. In use, we took out the weather helm by adjusting the wheel position, and locked the steering; and the wind vane steered, adequately, thousands of miles. But if you have hydraulic steering, I don't personally know if you can lock it off.

If you have the skills or a mentor, you might be able to make your own wind-steering system, and good luck with it.

Ann
Old Yesterday, 17:41   #3

Boat: Volkscruiser

Vandeusen have you looked on Facebook market place. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-08-03-10-25-05-745.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	292611  
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:57   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

Vandeusen now I know your location how about seeing if this wind vane is still available? It looks like it has been on a similar size ketch as yours.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_3-8-2024_11567_www.facebook.com.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	388.1 KB
ID:	292613  
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, wind