Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2021, 18:42   #1

101N0202-BD50

First I would like to thank many on the forum. I have been reading about the BD50 today and have found all the information helpful but over my skill set at the current time. I am learning, I want to learn and feel that you all will direct me in the correct direction.

Second- we purchased a boat that had taken on water - about 24” and it had broken many of the systems onboard. Most everything has been fixed or replaced and I am now working on the BD50 compressor. The unit in question turns on, it has 12v running to it and I have not seen what amps it is drawing yet, read about that today. The unit has a thru hull that is cooling the compressor-assumed, there is a pretty large plate in the ice box along with the thermostat. I hear gurgling when I am inside the box but the plate will not cool.

I again assume that it will require Freon and again just started reading on this forum due to the wealth of people here.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Chris
CsMcKillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 21:38   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: 101N0202-BD50

What is a BD-50?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 21:43   #3

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

The OP is talking about fridge compressors.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 21:45   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Kinda got that feeling but wasn’t 100% sure and figured if I was wondering at least a few others would too.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 21:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
What is a BD-50?
It’s the compressor.

Thanks
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4EB5146B-A6D1-4AC7-BECD-382478D60326.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	247861  
Old 06-11-2021, 21:57   #6

Sorry- I think my Ice box fridge cold plate needs Freon - looking for information to test and charge it if required.
Old 06-11-2021, 22:12   #7

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsMcKillip View Post
Sorry- I think my Ice box fridge cold plate needs Freon - looking for information to test and charge it if required.
Having just been down this road, literally two weeks ago, I had a fridge tech come and check system for leaks and refill as required. Cost me A$300.00 plus GST, something I couldn't do myself as the gas, R134A is only available to fridge techs here in Aus. Happy days, cold stuff is cold.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 23:26   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

there are some places where you can get a can of of 134A here in the US for a DIY job, typically car a/c systems....might be the same elsewhere...but I think a tech is your best choice...as just the right amount must be put in the system for optimum results...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 00:56   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

This interests me. Is it practical to recharge my BD 50 system , I was thinking of getting a vac pump and gauge set this winter
Old 07-11-2021, 02:09   #10
cruiser

Boat: 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
there are some places where you can get a can of of 134A here in the US for a DIY job, typically car a/c systems....might be the same elsewhere...but I think a tech is your best choice...as just the right amount must be put in the system for optimum results...
Yes you can buy R134a in cans in some countries but please don't use any that have additives like 'Leak sealer or dyes. While fine for car air-cons, these additives may cause damage to the tiny marine systems. And you are correct, find a competent tech, it will be best in the long term, usually!
OzeLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzeLouie View Post
Yes you can buy R134a in cans in some countries but please don't use any that have additives like 'Leak sealer or dyes. While fine for car air-cons, these additives may cause damage to the tiny marine systems. And you are correct, find a competent tech, it will be best in the long term, usually!
Yes, I know not to use a can that has stop leak in it. I also know that I will need to get a different fitting fit the valve as the Isotherm unit has a strata valve on the low pressure side.

Our unit is also water cooled so there is only 1 line running to the cold plate. I read where you want the compressor about 7psi on the Freon- I read two different threads where you want to run the compressor and another where you don’t-

Right now I will be planning on doing the work myself. I have rebuilt the diesel, plumbing systems, electrical, pressure pumps, water heaters.

Thanks
Chris
Old 07-11-2021, 11:33   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsMcKillip View Post
First I would like to thank many on the forum. I have been reading about the BD50 today and have found all the information helpful but over my skill set at the current time. I am learning, I want to learn and feel that you all will direct me in the correct direction.

Second- we purchased a boat that had taken on water - about 24” and it had broken many of the systems onboard. Most everything has been fixed or replaced and I am now working on the BD50 compressor. The unit in question turns on, it has 12v running to it and I have not seen what amps it is drawing yet, read about that today. The unit has a thru hull that is cooling the compressor-assumed, there is a pretty large plate in the ice box along with the thermostat. I hear gurgling when I am inside the box but the plate will not cool.

I again assume that it will require Freon and again just started reading on this forum due to the wealth of people here.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Chris

through hull cooling would indicate a Frigoboat or Isotherm unit with a BD 35 or BD50 compressor. Typical leaks on Frigoboat units are at the line connector Oring replaceable seals, without loss of additional refrigerant. Follow Frigoboat's bulletin and use only fresh Orings from them. Information on leak testing and topping off refrigerant can be found on my web site.
Kollmann Marine

Refrigerant R134a is always available every wear in small quantities and equipment to adept refrigerant servicing from 134a fittings to Freon fittings are reasonable priced on the web.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:18   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Your problem could originate anywhere for many reasons. It won't help to fill the unit with a fresh load of 134a if you have a leak somewhere.

To the OP, as much as you might want to avoid spending the $$$, you are better off having a fridge tech come assess the problem and fix it than try to mess with it yourself.

Having a cold beer is the price you'll pay for thinking smart !! You could offer the tech a cold beer while you are at it.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 13:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
through hull cooling would indicate a Frigoboat or Isotherm unit with a BD 35 or BD50 compressor. Typical leaks on Frigoboat units are at the line connector Oring replaceable seals, without loss of additional refrigerant. Follow Frigoboat's bulletin and use only fresh Orings from them. Information on leak testing and topping off refrigerant can be found on my web site.
Kollmann Marine

Refrigerant R134a is always available every wear in small quantities and equipment to adept refrigerant servicing from 134a fittings to Freon fittings are reasonable priced on the web.
Thank you Richard. I have read and re-read many of your post. Thank you for posting and providing this information.

I will follow up with any findings.

Thanks
Chris
Old 16-11-2021, 23:49   #15

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Having just been down this road, literally two weeks ago, I had a fridge tech come and check system for leaks and refill as required. Cost me A$300.00 plus GST, something I couldn't do myself as the gas, R134A is only available to fridge techs here in Aus. Happy days, cold stuff is cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Your problem could originate anywhere for many reasons. It won't help to fill the unit with a fresh load of 134a if you have a leak somewhere.

To the OP, as much as you might want to avoid spending the $$$, you are better off having a fridge tech come assess the problem and fix it than try to mess with it yourself.

Having a cold beer is the price you'll pay for thinking smart !! You could offer the tech a cold beer while you are at it.
As I previously said, happy days, however the "fridge tech" supposedly checked the system and found no leaks regassed it and received his money for the check and repair. This lasted a couple of weeks, wont answer the phone when I call and doesn't return calls or message's so I have just bitten the bullet and ordered an Ozefridge unit to replace the leaking waeco that resides there now. Didn't really want to spend the cash but sometimes you simply have to and move on.
Not Happy but......................

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote