Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2018, 09:42   #61

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: 12 volt watermakers, which one?

Yes. Ebay is your friend, but it does not tell you anything on quality, service and the like. Fair chance to pick up junk.
Hence the question regarding the best solution for under 2000 $
Old 20-08-2018, 09:55   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Yes. Ebay is your friend, but it does not tell you anything on quality, service and the like. Fair chance to pick up junk.
Hence the question regarding the best solution for under 2000 $
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HRO-Water-M...kAAOSwGCNbdZLc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pur-Powersu...UAAOSwhHFbP9T~

https://www.ebay.com/itm/21-GPH-WATE...sAAOSw1BFaRAP~

These are just a few I found with a quick search
Old 20-08-2018, 09:58   #63

That's not the point. I can find tons of stuff there. Anyone can. The question is what really works well and reliable in that price range.
Anyone agrees that getting a Spectra is probably the nicest solution, IF one can afford it. Now what is the "Spectra" of the lower price range?
Old 20-08-2018, 10:13   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
That's not the point. I can find tons of stuff there. Anyone can. The question is what really works well and reliable in that price range.
Anyone agrees that getting a Spectra is probably the nicest solution, IF one can afford it. Now what is the "Spectra" of the lower price range?
personally if I had to buy one in that price range I would look at the powersurvivor80
It is katadyn and they also own spectra and have a good proven track record.
Old 20-08-2018, 14:16   #65

Another consideration is Rainman desal have 12v, 240v & petrol versions. I have a high output (120lph) petrol, but would go for 12v next time. System is portable and easy to set up. They are very helpful even way past warranty. Based in Australia but dealers and will ship worldwide.
Kingsleysails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 14:22   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
12V, there is only one I think I would consider, and that is Spectra, unless there is another that is more energy efficient
There is, it's the CJD Watermakers DC60A and DC60M. 60 litres per hour (16gph) at 16 amps and they've been testing a new unit that does 120 litres per hour (32gph) at approximately 36 amps using the same pump with a bigger gearmotor and two membranes.

https://www.cjdwatermakers.com/dc-watermakers
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 14:23   #67

Boat: LUCIA 40 Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Which is the problem....
As Capt Ron says: "If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there Boss"
For sure Rich ... ( I would not discuss your business on the forum, but you did it first ...) I want just to understand in the deep.

Your systems are in between the very low price and very high price... very good and I would jump into BUT ! ... seems we are far from "the paradise where GOD provide everything free to Adam et Eve " :-)

I need 60 li/h and your smallest WM give 20gal (76 li) , that's OK,
BUT (please correct me if I have bad calculations ) with your 1 HP AC motor that draws 9.3A at 120VAC = 1116W ... HUM what will be the reaction of my 2000W Victron inverter having to supply over 12VDC at 100A during a couple of hours ? and we need to add the boost pump with 8.2A.

This is my fear !
Spectra, Aquabase, and other intensifier systems needs about 25A for the same... at around 10-14K$.

Question : I did not explore deeper yet, but if you use a DC motor for the high pressure pump ? From my batteries plus 1000W solar... could it work the nice sunny days ?

Water cost (just for the joke)
I would LOVE to avoid a 10-14K$US purchase that will raise the cost of water to ...
150 days x 5 years x 60 li/d = 45000 li or 11,800 gal / 12,000$ = 1$/gal
plus the power cost ... and if you use less the cost will raise...

With your system, it will be 50c/gal and marinas charge about 25c/gal ...

OK so this is the price for LIBERTY !

Still jugling ...
Old 20-08-2018, 14:59   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj88 View Post
There is, it's the CJD Watermakers DC60A and DC60M. 60 litres per hour (16gph) at 16 amps and they've been testing a new unit that does 120 litres per hour (32gph) at approximately 36 amps using the same pump with a bigger gearmotor and two membranes.

https://www.cjdwatermakers.com/dc-watermakers
Litres per hour Output @ 13.0VDC

DC60 NZD$8400 (approx USD$5600)

DC120 expected price NZD$10400 (approx USD$6900)
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 15:03   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
12 volt watermakers, which one?

You would be crazy to run a Cruise RO off of DC power, in my opinion.
Exception is if you have a high amp alternator and are motoring anyway.
Being able to run it off of an inverter is nice for a back up in case your generator breaks and then you can use your alternator to do it, but unless you have a tremendous amount of Solar, it’s not going to work well off of DC direct.
It’s best use if you don’t have a built in generator is a little Honda, a little Honda will make you 30+ gls of water an hour, day after day and charge your batteries.
Watermaker of not, I don’t see how people get by without a little Honda generator, they take a lot of stress and worry away for me.
I believe I said at the beginning of the thread, if you want a DC Watermaker, then it’s a Spectra, just be prepared to pay for it. You get what you pay for though.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 15:36   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Looks like all agree. Spectra is the nicest solution, if, one can afford it.
Surely would want one, but hey one needs to have the funds for it.
So here is the next question, what's the best solution for under 2000$?

I think your only real hope is a used one, maybe try to contact Tellie, he may possibly have a lead or maybe if you ask him to keep an eye out, but $2,000 is going to be tough.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 15:47   #71

Actually, the idea of a Rainman looks promising as we have a (recently renovated) 2.6kW genset already.
Probably add a 2kW inverter as well as back up.
Old 20-08-2018, 15:58   #72

Boat: LUCIA 40 Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You would be crazy to run a Cruise RO off of DC power, in my opinion.
Exception is if you have a high amp alternator and are motoring anyway.
Being able to run it off of an inverter is nice for a back up in case your generator breaks and then you can use your alternator to do it, but unless you have a tremendous amount of Solar, it’s not going to work well off of DC direct.
I want to have the lowest noise and using the genset or engines is quite adding a real energy cost to raise the price of water gallon and hassel you many hours per day. The other noise I fear is the rotary pump/motor if they can't be sound isolated.

I will install 1080W solar, like many did on their Lucia, is this tremendous ? and at the peak of the day with good sun, it should be able to provide the required power... and if it miss some, battery pack will provide the little difference and then will be refilled when stopping the WM. Why not to reduce the pressure to 700 and run it longer just on solar ? and if it miss again ... OK start the 7.5 genset very occasionnaly.

I look for somebody that tried this... but I understand that 1000W of solar power is not the yet rule, but things are changing.
Old 20-08-2018, 15:58   #73

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

We just returned from four months cruising and our little Spectra 150 worked flawlessly; we never thought about conserving water, at least no more than we normally would, and we were never short on power. I've got a bump over 500w of solar and a wind generator.

I'm really impressed at how quiet it is, so no worried about disturbing others at anchor.

I think the Rainman watermakers have a great idea, eliminating the need for installation which is costly; if they had the efficiency of the Spectra, I might have given them another look.

Fair winds,

Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 17:07   #74

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbala60 View Post
I want to have the lowest noise and using the genset or engines is quite adding a real energy cost to raise the price of water gallon and hassel you many hours per day. The other noise I fear is the rotary pump/motor if they can't be sound isolated.

I will install 1080W solar, like many did on their Lucia, is this tremendous ? and at the peak of the day with good sun, it should be able to provide the required power... and if it miss some, battery pack will provide the little difference and then will be refilled when stopping the WM. Why not to reduce the pressure to 700 and run it longer just on solar ? and if it miss again ... OK start the 7.5 genset very occasionnaly.

I look for somebody that tried this... but I understand that 1000W of solar power is not the yet rule, but things are changing.
I don't get the argument. Why not get a DC WM that is efficient? A Spectra Cape Horn will get you 15gph at 18amps 12v (or so).
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 17:17   #75
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

For those running a high-amp dino juice source (AC or DC) at least a few hours per week **anyway**

then I advise forgetting energy efficiency, and look at GPH along with maker's service rep.

If an hour or two a couple / few times per week gets you all the water you need, the rest of the time you can enjoy the sound of wind and waves.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker