Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2021, 18:04   #16

Re: 2 lb. Propane tank

I have a 2 lb refillable tank and I can't remember where I got it from. That tells you that they do exist. I use to refill those non refillable 1 lb tanks with one of those little 2" long brass tank to tank adapters. If you don't fill them more than 80% then you won't end up with a bomb. When liquid expands to where the bubble of vapor disappears inside the 1lb tank, pressure increases 50 psi for every 1 degree F. temperature rise. Ka Boom ! Don't try this anywhere.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 08:00   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Here is a link to the manufacturer's site for the 1 pound refillable tanks.
Okay. Now, for the first time, I have seen one.I am quite surprised. Although that is why I did not say that they absolutely do not exist -- only that I had never seen or heard of them. Well, now I have.

Nonetheless, these are obviously pretty unusual. So in my mind, the question remains... Is the OP really certain that he is not confusing pounds and gallons?
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 11:33   #18

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Nonetheless, these are obviously pretty unusual.

They have been on the market for about five years. There's also a 14 oz version that is longer but with a smaller diameter for use with handheld torches. Most people transfill them from a 20# cylinder but there are a few bottle exchange operations out there and some reports of people being able to get propane dealers to fill them just as they do 20# etc cylinders.

They're reasonably widely used by people setting up base camps in cold weather (as for deer hunting) and for ice fishing houses where they are used for cooking as well as for catalytic space heaters. They reduce costs compared to disposables for people who go through a lot of cylinders, without the loss of portability and (usually) need for a hose when using larger refillable cylinders. For some situations e.g. picnics with a gas grill or stove they make sense because it is no longer necessary to burn off and dispose of partial cylinders at the end of a trip.

They have a CGA600 valve. In my experience CGA600 valves are prone to leakage with repeated use, and that is a common complaint with the refillable cylinders.

I myself have moved to using butane and isobutane for portable cooking fuel so I don't use these.

Tags
propane