Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2019, 13:56   #16

Re: 2018/19 TMC Electric toilet problems

Thanks again for everyones contribution. Sounds like Steve has the same problem with rust and Mike agrees re having to sharpen the blade.

Let's not get too off topic. Anyone else with a 2018/18 electric TMC using salt water flush getting rust?
deandavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 14:47   #17

Boat: Island Packet 40

I have now checked and find I have rust stains around the base so suspect I have the rust problem. I'm going to disassemble the new unused one to see if I can isolate the steel from the salt water, perhaps with a piece of poly sheeting Sikaflexed over the face of the plate.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 19:41   #18

Thank RaymondR. In summary this is a total of four people with 2018/19 units used in saltwater that are having rusting issues and two people who may not be having the rust issue.

I wonder if @grant_ford and @aachab65 could confirm their units are 2018/19 and used to flush salt water?

I'm still interested to hear from anyone else with a 2018/19 unit used in salt water re rusting or not.

I'm going to feed this back to Whitworths (interested or not) and install the new motor. I should know within a month or two if the rust is happening again and will take action to look for an alternative then (Theres not a huge option in Australia).

I'll also report back here on how this goes.

Thanks to all.
Old 25-10-2019, 21:42   #19

We have two TMC’s in two boats, but they are both around eight or so years old, so far no issues, but we never put paper in any of our marine toilets.
Paper goes into ziplock bags and into the trash bag.
You don’t happen to have any wadders on your crew by any chance?
No one secretly using wipes?
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 23:08   #20

I really want to emphasis this thread is about recently manufactured (2018/19) TMC and its really focusing in on issues with rust with saltwater flushing.
Old 25-10-2019, 23:41   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandavis1 View Post
Thank RaymondR. In summary this is a total of four people with 2018/19 units used in saltwater that are having rusting issues and two people who may not be having the rust issue.

I wonder if @grant_ford and @aachab65 could confirm their units are 2018/19 and used to flush salt water?

I'm still interested to hear from anyone else with a 2018/19 unit used in salt water re rusting or not.

I'm going to feed this back to Whitworths (interested or not) and install the new motor. I should know within a month or two if the rust is happening again and will take action to look for an alternative then (Theres not a huge option in Australia).

I'll also report back here on how this goes.

Thanks to all.
Hi. I confirm the last TMC mounted on my boat is dated 2018 (replacing the old one).
1) it is used regularly with salt water (I live on board an average of 3/4 days per week).
2) the macerator has sharpen blades, as the old ones had.
3) at the moment I do not see rust evidence
4) at least once per month, when I leave the boat, I leave fresh water in the circuit (I fill the bowl and pipes with fresh water while the salt water charge seacock is closed. After a while I close the discharge seacock too, making sure there is only fresh water in the whole circuit).
Achab65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 23:59   #22

Thanks Achab65. Great info
Old 26-10-2019, 00:06   #23

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
I really want to emphasis this thread is about recently manufactured (2018/19) TMC and its really focusing in on issues with rust with saltwater flushing.
Hi, I understand that your loo is a recent model, but I have an older version that I needed to replace the pump assembly on and found a screw that holds the waste water impeller to the shaft, not the macerator, to be plated steel. Could this be the case with yours.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 00:55   #24

Hi Uncle_Bob.

CF isn't allowing me to insert pictures at the moment for some reason.

If you're talking about the nut on the end of the shaft that holds the impeller and blade on then I don't believe this is a problem. As part of the analysis on the old pump I socked the macerator blade and this nut in salt water for two weeks with no rusting.
Old 26-10-2019, 02:40   #25

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Hi Uncle_Bob.

CF isn't allowing me to insert pictures at the moment for some reason.

If you're talking about the nut on the end of the shaft that holds the impeller and blade on then I don't believe this is a problem. As part of the analysis on the old pump I socked the macerator blade and this nut in salt water for two weeks with no rusting.
Hi, no not a nut but a metal thread screw that holds the plastic impeller against the flat section of the shaft.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 04:06   #26

Boat: Volkscruiser

$349 for a TMC toilet at Whitworths or $479 for a Jabsco toilet from Whitworths you would have to wonder why there is such a large difference in price between the two toilets for basically the same product? Maybe you should try a Jabsco?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 05:50   #27

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
$349 for a TMC toilet at Whitworths or $479 for a Jabsco toilet from Whitworths you would have to wonder why there is such a large difference in price between the two toilets for basically the same product? Maybe you should try a Jabsco?
Cheers
I chose the TMC because it was the large bowl version, not so big a price difference. I suspect this is also the case with a lot of other folks. I considered converting the old toilets in the boat to vacuum flush but they had rediculously small bowls.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 14:09   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Cheers
Correlation does not equal causation. Based on your price logic charging more for TMC would make it a better product.

In Australia (and many other countries) there are consumer laws that say a product must be fit for use. The purpose of this thread is to ascertain if this is an isolated problem or widespread with recent units so that I (and hopefully others) can work out a course of action.

The fact that people are saying how good the product is prior to 2018 also suggests price has nothing to do with it. I also have a $1000+ SaniMarin that has its own issues.

Thanks again to others for valuable feedback.
Old 26-10-2019, 15:13   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hi, no not a nut but a metal thread screw that holds the plastic impeller against the flat section of the shaft.
Thanks Rob, I wouldn't dismiss this being a separate problem and one I'll look for if the new motor shows signs of rust. The mounting plate on my old motor had differently corroded to the point that it couldn't form a tight seal and was leaking. Weather the rust came from this or the screw your referring to I'm not so sure. Well spotted.
Old 01-11-2019, 21:32   #30

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 38

I have a 2018 TMC model using salt water.

When it is not used for several weeks, the water in the bowl goes rusty even if I leave it flushed with fresh water.

When I am living back on the boat, and the toilet is used every day, there is no evidence of rusting. There must be a 309 stainless steel screw or something causing this?

Over time I have discovered the toilet is easily blocked if paper is just thrown into the bowl and flushed. The paper traps air and does not macerate and water will eventually overflow the bowl. A simple toilet plunger will quickly fix this.

To prevent a blockage happening, first flush the waste away, then instead of just throwing the paper in, push it into the water so it's instantly wet with no trapped air. (letting go before you get wet fingers) Using this method the toilet will never block no matter what paper I have used.

I have never sharpened the blades and have no intention to do this.

As for the back flow issue, if the toilet is installed below the waterline, TMC recommend installing vented loops in both the inlet and outlet lines to prevent this from happening which I am about to install on my toilet.

I think the TMC toilet is good value for the price, but it needs to be treated different to what you are used to using at home.
Crak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, oil