Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 09:51   #1

70's sink drain replacement

Had some work done on my boat last winter including a new thru hull. Yard did a fantastic job with the actual thru hull but messed up the sink drain somehow when they were putting it all back together. I'm not near the yard and it's not worth my trouble to take it back to them.

So I need a new sink drain and the various online marine stores I use have plenty, but they all seem to be for modern sinks with much smaller holes. Mine is about 3.5".

Anyone had luck sourcing a sink drain for an old boat? It's a 1977 Ontario 32, basically an old C&C.

I see a few household ones that look like they might be a match size wise but unsure on the materials and quality.
g_bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:06   #2

Boat: 30' Ericson / 42' Golden Star / Yard full of trailer boats
Re: 70's sink drain replacement

Yup, household kitchen sink basket strainer 1-1/2" outlet, nothing marine about it.
Just buy a good quality cast one, not the cheap stamping.
Turtle Blues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:13   #3

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: 70's sink drain replacement

I just measured my home kitchen sink drain. The hole is 3.5" but the flange is 4.5". How are you measuring? The flange sits in a recess so water can drain properly.

I have the same drains on my boat sink. The issue for me has been finding drains that are salt water resistant. Many of the "all stainless" drains are not all stainless. They have some components that are brass or pot metal and don't last long on a salt water boat. Over the years I have been through a lot of sink drains. After a half an hour at a plumbing showroom with a very friendly salesman we found a Blanco brand drain that was all stainless and plastic except for a brass insert that was a barrel bolt. So I replaced the brass barrel bolt with a stainless one. That was more than ten years ago and the problem is solved.

When we remodeled our home kitchen three years ago I tried to find the ones I have on the boat but they have changed the design. The updated design still claims all stainless but there is one small part that I am not sure about.

Good luck in your search.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
men

« Too much pressure? | - »