Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 14:05   #1

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
A first - Head Inlet hose Permeation

I have never seen anyone post about an inlet hose permeating so I thought I would.

My seawater inlet hoses to my heads are very clearly permeated and stink. Originally I thought it was smell "leaking" over (they are in an adjacent locker) from the discharge hose, but after changing the discharge hose, the smell was still there. A warm wet rag confirmed my suspicion, they stink.

Even crazier, its both inlet hoses in separate hulls (catamaran), so its not an isolated thing.

Has anyone ever had a seawater inlet hose permeate?
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 14:47   #2

Re: A first - Head Inlet hose Permeation

Many times that is the case, when you cose the thru hulls the micro organism's die and STINK!
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 15:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorst View Post
Many times that is the case, when you cose the thru hulls the micro organism's die and STINK!
Yep, common.... especially if they sit unused.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 18:02   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Has anyone ever had a seawater inlet hose permeate?
It's really not THAT unheard of. The environment inside a hose is anaerobic...sea water is full of bacteria, micro and not so micro animal and vegetable sea life that, when left to sit, die and decay, STINK. That stagnant sea water stinks when the toilet is flushed for the time after the boat has sat..it's no different really from sewage left to sit in other hoses...so why would sea water inlet hose be any more immune to permeation than the head or tank discharge hose?

In fact, the inlet hose (and the holding tank vent line too) can be even MORE likely to permeate 'cuz owners and even builders try to save a buck by using clear water hose or really CHEAP flex PVC from the hardware store
instead of sanitation hose. Shields or Trident #148 should be resistant enough if you flush out the inlet line before the boat can sit....Simplest way to do that is by teeing the head intake line into the head sink drain line so you can just fill the sink with clean water and flush the toilet. (Those are VERY INcomplete instructions...I've posted useful ones here enough times that you should be able to find 'em).
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 20:36   #5

Thanks guys.. I had a few other cruisers say they had never heard of it (probably cause they use their toilets every day).

I've also had the suggestion of T'ing into the inlet hose and sticking the raw end of the T into a bottle of vinegar, then flushing the toilet. This would "pickle" the line so it could be left for long periods. Kind of like winterizing an RV.

Frankly I don't think this will be an issue once we move aboard for good (and I replace the hose).

FYI, the hose is white Shields brand, no idea of the number on it though.
Old 12-08-2015, 21:27   #6
Marine Service Provider

I've also had the suggestion of T'ing into the inlet hose and sticking the raw end of the T into a bottle of vinegar, then flushing the toilet. This would "pickle" the line so it could be left for long periods. Kind of like winterizing an RV.

Wouldn't work. However, using a bucket of clean fresh water to which a quart of distilled white vinegar has been added to flush dead and decaying animal or vegetable sea life out of the inlet line, pump and channel in the rim of the bowl will kill the odor they created while they were in there.

FYI, the hose is white Shields brand, no idea of the number on it though.

If it's single wall flex pvc, it's most likely #148. It WILL permeate...I had 1.5" head and tank discharge permeate on my own boat in less than ninety days, but it's unusual for it to permeate when used as flush water intake. But the water in most marinas is pretty skanky due to runoff, so if the boat sits for extended periods without being flushed out , it can happen...obviously, 'cuz it did.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 15:30   #7

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

I posted this before, as a lubricant that has worked extremely well for me, but also as a deterrent to offense smells: squirt liquid dish detergent into the system with the last few flushes, every time the head is used. It has worked beautifully for the last six years aboard PILAR. The major key, though, is enough flushing prior. No short cuts.
GafferMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 16:02   #8

I sure hope my other hoses don't permeate in 90 days. That would suck big time after spending the money to change them. I would love to run sched 40 PVC but I don't have the room to install it. I would have to cut 1ft pieces and have a ton of butt joints.

Further to my posting.. It appears all my hoses are original (10 years old) and the boat has spent 5 of those 10 years in the tropics. Not only in the tropics, but in a pretty "bio-engorged" bay. I suspect this contributed to the problem.
Old 13-08-2015, 18:12   #9

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

One word, composting.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head