Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2008, 12:51   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1977 Cuttyhunk 59 Ketch, "Diva" in Trinidad
Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff S.
AC discharge thru-hull: below waterline, or piss off my neighbours?

My Quandry of the Week:

After peeling, reglassing and refairing, my hull is a complete blank canvas, and I'm free to put new thru-hulls for everything wherever they seem to make the most sense. We're installing ac units (one under the forward cabin bunk, and one aft in the lazarette), and I'm faced with the choice of putting their raw water discharge thru-hulls below the waterline with all its associated sink-the-boat issues...or about 12" above the waterline, which causes the boat to sound like it has a bladder infection all night; could be an auditory nuisance to my neighbours at anchor. Of course, when I'm using them at night, they'll be running off the generator, and while the gennie lives in the engine room and as such the running noise shouldn't be much of an issue for my fellow cruisers, it will have it's own discharge...so maybe the cooling discharge is a moot point?

What are any pros and cons of the two configs that come to mind?

Thankee,
Geoff
Old 21-04-2008, 13:56   #2
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Hey Geoff

Thought you had already sailed off into the sunset! Got more pics of the boat project?

Can't you locate the AC discharges closer to the waterline? I've seen them just above or in the bootstripe and that lowers the angle the stream hits the water. Seems to be a lot quieter that way. Anti-siphon loops would fix any problems with sinking the boat via the AC discharge eh?

Rick
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 14:16   #3
Eternal Member

I agree with Rick. I put mine just above the bootstripe and, in addition to the loop, I installed shutoff ball valves (belt and suspenders logic!). Works great, and doesn't make a lot of noise.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 14:32   #4

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
I thought about my install for quite a while, what I did was above the waterline, but it's at a part in the hull where it's angled directly at the water, it's makes hardly any noise at all. At our marina there are a lot of them that make a lot of noise, everyone just lives with it, i honestly can't hear even the loudest ones inside the boat.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 14:38   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Geoff,

Just make sure you install the water intake thru-hulls on the opposite side of the keel from the head discharge!!! And opposite the A/C discharges, too, to prevent recirculation.

Course you probably already thought of that!
Old 21-04-2008, 16:04   #6

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
What about using the same simple technique used to quell noise on building downspouts?

Simply attach a piece of rope to the inside of the pipe at some point and let that run out your through hull and down to the waterline.

Because water is hydrophilic to itself, it will cling to the rope and silently flow down into the water. This way you can have your through-hulls as high as you like.
drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 16:09   #7

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Mine comes out with a vengence, not a trickle.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 17:06   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good thoughts, all. I was thinking that, even at the proposed 12" above the waterline, it would still be underwater when heeling, so the above-water safety argument is kind of moot. Bootstripe seems like a good place.

Come to think of it, every time I'm in a "quiet" anchorage, I can't hear the water discharges over the wind generators!
Old 21-04-2008, 17:41   #9

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Forget at anchor, we have seen marinas with floating docks make the owners turn off the AC units because they hosed the docks down when the discharge is up high.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 00:06   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I doubt the other residents would be all that concerned. I would think you and the others on board would be more concerned with the water noise. And then, there is nothing like the gentle sound of running water to put you to sleep.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 02:04   #11

....and nothing like the continuous drone of a small engine running a generator all night to keep you awake.....
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 03:17   #12

How about this for an odd suggestion: get some elbows fabricate that you can slip into the thru hull from the outside when you are at anchor which conduct the water to below the water line? I know this would look weird and require you set this up at anchor, but it would suppress any noise WHEN you want to. This might even work with hose that you can shove into the thru hull. You can make it work!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 05:22   #13

I would be concerned about siphoning. Besides, with all the in mast furlers howling all night long who would hear the trickle of water?
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 02:39   #14

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat05-10-01.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	3394

Somthing like this !!! (a small pin hole at the elbo stops siphoning) This one unscrews with a course thread "milk pipe ring"
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 07:24   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Then, if you could rotate them to blast drunks on dinghies at 2am...

Tags
thru hull