Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2014, 06:49   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371
Re: AC Electrical Expense?

And Mark, at 12V, yes amps calculate out at 42A at nominal system voltage, but so does the input from the modules at a higher input voltage of Vmp 30 to 39Vdc, 9.84A/8.9A, then brought down to system voltage less the conversion efficiency loss due to inverter. If you used panels equipped with micro inverter that bypassed the anti-islanding requirement, you could skip the battery and separate inverter altogether. Witness SMA's recent TL inverter series that, when in grid-tie mode and grid goes down, provides prioritized, dedicated circuit to power without being connected to grid.
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 07:25   #17

Loss from modules is minimized by proper wire sizing, which at the now common higher input voltages, is smaller gauge. Standard efficiency loss calls are at total of 23%, but these are based on mismatch and dust accumulation and various other lab rat caveats the real world efficiencies tend to be better. I will post the results if I don't blow myself up trying to invent a PV direct margarita blender.
Old 23-08-2014, 07:46   #18

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: AC Electrical Expense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
Loss from modules is minimized by proper wire sizing, which at the now common higher input voltages, is smaller gauge. Standard efficiency loss calls are at total of 23%, but these are based on mismatch and dust accumulation and various other lab rat caveats the real world efficiencies tend to be better. I will post the results if I don't blow myself up trying to invent a PV direct margarita blender.
Allow me to be first on the waiting list for that one.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 18:15   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Curious about cost of running the AC 24/7 on a 39' Prowler Power Cat Cub.

The boat owner is paying $45 a month flat fee. I suspect that is far too little.

Anyone have a ballpark number for the monthly elec bill?

Thanks
That's impossible to state. The AC cycles on and off to satisfy the thermostat. It may run nearly all day on a hot day but not at all on a cool day. And probably not too much at night.

So - it depends on the boat and it depends on the temperature where the boat sits. It also depends on things like closing the curtains/drapes to block the sun or leaving them open. And of course the thermostat setting.
Old 23-08-2014, 19:02   #20

Appreciate the input Ron. This is the actual boat. It's slipped in NC where it is has been 80 or 90 every day for several months. You can boil eggs in the water. This thing has many very large portlights, none of which are curtained. I am guessing the marina has been subsidizing this idiot's electrical bills since last August. I have known of this boat and owner for over 5 years. I doubt it has been off the dock more than a dozen times. This is a prime example of why the size of a skipper's boat doesn't impress me.

Old 23-08-2014, 19:24   #21

So Blue crab, what really bothers you about the situation, the fact that someone is not paying their "fair share" or that they're getting away with something or what? If the marina chooses to charge a flat rate, aren't they the ones that have made the choice on billing?
Old 24-08-2014, 06:13   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
So Blue crab, what really bothers you about the situation, the fact that someone is not paying their "fair share" or that they're getting away with something or what? If the marina chooses to charge a flat rate, aren't they the ones that have made the choice on billing?
Yes and no. I'm bugged that the marina managers are too stupid to appreciate the actual situation, and have raised my elec $ as a liveaboard to more than the big cat.
Old 24-08-2014, 15:31   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

Anyone have a ballpark number for the monthly elec bill?

Thanks

Just based on a Swag of my bill, if he leaves the thermostat set at 75 or so, at least $200.
I leave my little 5000 BTU on a 38' sailboat in dehumidify mode set at 85 and it's above $100.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 18:40   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Just based on a Swag of my bill, if he leaves the thermostat set at 75 or so, at least $200.
I leave my little 5000 BTU on a 38' sailboat in dehumidify mode set at 85 and it's above $100.
Yepper. The marina leadership just doesn't get it. I suspect they will make some changes now that I've pointed all this out and moved to a metered slip to get away from the flat rate.

I also looked thru some marina paperwork and spotted several folks sponging elec while paying nothing, four guys who'd bought larger boats but were still paying the lower fees for the old smaller vessel and very few boats having the required liability ins, at least on file.

A change of management is long overdue. A new broom sweeps

Tags
cal, electric, electrical