Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2021, 00:38   #16

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Adler Barbour BD 2.5 Will Not Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Bob and Louie need to stop the childishness Innuendos read the OP.
Richard, not childish inenudos, just an opportunity to inject a little homour into the thread, thank you for the opportunity.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:36   #17

The compressor was serviced using the procedures from Richard’s website. The compressor attempts to start every 15-20 seconds and turns off immediately with another attempt in 15-20 seconds. Amps show only fan running when the compressor is off. When the compressor attempts to start, amp reading goes to 6 followed by compressor shutdown.
windseeker33647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:50   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

I thought it had been running????? Just not cooling.

I think you need to just realize it is time to retire it. On plus side if your system has been getting by on BD2.5 you can probably get a less expensive replacement.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:10   #19

I reseated the fan wires and fuse. Now the compressor is working as well as the fan. The evaporator is starting to cool...to be continued.
Old 12-06-2021, 13:19   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by windseeker33647 View Post
I reseated the fan wires and fuse. Now the compressor is working as well as the fan. The evaporator is starting to cool...to be continued.
It sounds like it will be continued again. More often than not when someone says refrigerant was added they overcharge it. While it is running get an amp reading to confirm the BD2.5 is drawing no more than 5 amps. Or wait till the next time system is warm and electronic module will reject compressor starts again. You can also set thermostat to a colder than normal temperature an see if there is frost on more than a few inches of refrigerant line leaving the refrigerated area.

I don't see how fan wires would cause a starting problem unless fan is drawing more than one amp.
If cleaning power wires solved problem it would have been a voltage problem.

the common problem with that module is overheated fuse holder in module. In that case remove 10 amp fuse and polish fuse holder contacts.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 16:53   #21

Thanks for your inputs Richard. Reference my …to be continued comment above, the unit continued to cool and run at 5.1 amps for twenty four hours, the condensor had thick frost on the entire surface but none on the return line. I turned the unit off. The next day, I tried to start the unit but it went into a continuous compressor attempt start, delay 20 seconds followed by another compressor attempt start cycle. The compressor never started so the run amps could not be checked. Is it plausible that the low voltage protection mode in the electronic module could be erroneously detecting low voltage (11 volts) before the compressor reaches 1800 rpm. The voltage gauge never goes below 13.2volts and 7 amps with the charger on. Do you have a Danfoss 102N3017 in stock? Do you still check electronic modules with postage paid both ways? Thanks again for your assistance!
Old 22-06-2021, 17:46   #22

I did encounter corrosion in the fuse holder on the electronic module a couple of years ago and per recommendation of Richard, I installed an external fuse to bypass the corroded built in fuse holder.
Old 15-11-2021, 08:40   #23

Continued…I opened the electronic module and found a problem with the circuit board in the vicinity of where the yellow wire from the compressor is soldered to the circuit board. When pressure was applied to wires and components in that area, the compressor would start and cool normally. I found a small leak in the schrader valve and a pin hole leak in the evaporator. The valve was replaced and J-B Weld WaterWeld was used to repair the pin hole leak. Using the pressure in the vicinity of the yellow wire work around, the unit has started and cooled/cycled normally for the last four months. If I turned the unit off for a couple of days, it would restart normally. However, if I left it off for longer periods, I had to apply pressure to the circuit board to enable the unit to start. I have had no luck in finding a cold solder connection, loose wire or bad component on the circuit board. I am looking for a source to purchase a Danfoss 102N3017 or other BD 2.5 compatible electronic control module. Has anyone ordered a module from Hestra, a company in Poland?
Old 15-11-2021, 10:26   #24
Marine Service Provider

There are at least ten different 4 pin 12 volt modules through the years prior to 1996 that will work on your unit. It you have a picture link of the Hestra module I might be able to help otherwise try Ebay for a used one. WWWRparts.com had replacements. I sold the 200 I had.
Old 15-11-2021, 10:59   #25

Thanks for the quick response Richard. I misspelled the name of the company in Poland. The correct spelling is Hesta. Their module appears to be compatible with my unit. Shipping is around $30 with a 2-3 week+ delivery time to the East coast.

https://www.hesta.pl/en/accessories-...bd3-4-pin.html
Old 15-11-2021, 15:43   #26
Marine Service Provider

Yes that is a good module for your unit and a good price depending on your location for customs and shipping costs.