Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2021, 05:16   #1

Adler Barbour refrigeration unit short cycling

So I recently purchased a boat with an retrofitted Adler Barbour refrigeration unit. The compressor was locked up so I replaced the compressor with an aftermarket unit with control module. It worked great for a week and I went to check the pressure again and found I had not soldered the fitting on correctly and broke it off causing all the refrigerant and a lot of oil to dump out. Repaired the solder joint, pulled a quick vacuum, and recharged to find the compressor is now short cycling. I am used to automotive systems so it’s taking some getting used to the lower pressures of this unit but I have varied the charge up and down and it still does it. Before it cycles off it sounds like the compressor is bogging down. The evap plate still frosts up while
It’s running. Not really sure what I could of changed from dumping the refrigerant. Is it possible I lost too much oil? Gonna run a deep vacuum today.
Bjl4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:23   #2
cruiser

Boat: 2017
Re: Adler Barbour refrigeration unit short cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjl4776 View Post
So I recently purchased a boat with an retrofitted Adler Barbour refrigeration unit. The compressor was locked up so I replaced the compressor with an aftermarket unit with control module. It worked great for a week and I went to check the pressure again and found I had not soldered the fitting on correctly and broke it off causing all the refrigerant and a lot of oil to dump out. Repaired the solder joint, pulled a quick vacuum, and recharged to find the compressor is now short cycling. I am used to automotive systems so it’s taking some getting used to the lower pressures of this unit but I have varied the charge up and down and it still does it. Before it cycles off it sounds like the compressor is bogging down. The evap plate still frosts up while
It’s running. Not really sure what I could of changed from dumping the refrigerant. Is it possible I lost too much oil? Gonna run a deep vacuum today.
Suggest not running compressor until you can top up the oil, replace filter dryer (if poss) evacuate properly then re-gas, leak test and test run. Re-gas slowly until sight glass indicates full and compressor runs continually.
OzeLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 14:33   #3
Marine Service Provider

Let out small amounts of refrigerant say 2 seconds at a time but wait 5 minutes each time to be sure pressure is equal first also run it each time. If you are sure there is no air in unit you have too much refrigerant or a solder joint is plugged. How long does it run? What size is the oil puddle that leaked out?

If you let out all refrigerant and it still stops running look for blockage.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 16:11   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Let out small amounts of refrigerant say 2 seconds at a time but wait 5 minutes each time to be sure pressure is equal first also run it each time. If you are sure there is no air in unit you have too much refrigerant or a solder joint is plugged. How long does it run? What size is the oil puddle that leaked out?

If you let out all refrigerant and it still stops running look for blockage.
I feel stupid having to admit this but it looks like a battery problem. I don’t have a good idea how much oil was released cause it went everywhere including all over my battery charger. Looks like it fried my charger. I was doing some unrelated electrical work and found I was at 10v. I’ve got a new charger hooked up and all seems well. Been running for an hour without cycling with the tstat jumped. Pressure is on the low side at 4-5psi but I have good frost on the evaporator. Going to connect the tstat back up and see how it does.
Old 03-07-2021, 16:25   #5

I bet that thing runs COLD when you get the charge nailed. Mine is 20 years old, never had a recharge, and frosts the plate fast. Love it.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 17:12   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by C420sailor View Post
I bet that thing runs COLD when you get the charge nailed. Mine is 20 years old, never had a recharge, and frosts the plate fast. Love it.
Low on refrigerant is easy to correct add til evaporator has a frost covering of 90% of evaporator's Surface area and no frost on line leaving refrigerated box.

Your concern now is in the amount of oil lost.
Old 03-07-2021, 17:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Low on refrigerant is easy to correct add til evaporator has a frost covering of 90% of evaporator's Surface area and no frost on line leaving refrigerated box.

Your concern now is in the amount of oil lost.
Ester oil correct? I was thinking about pulling it back down and adding an ounce
Old 03-07-2021, 20:27   #8
Marine Service Provider

Adding oil is easy but I would not be to concerned about two ounces. You seem to indicate a lot more oil loss. Oil is important for lubrication it is also a heat conductor to heavy metal sealed air cooled compressor pump enclosure.
Old 05-07-2021, 16:17   #9
cruiser

Boat: 2017

There is only one correct way to remedy the situation where an unknown quantity of compressor oil has been lost, refrigerant gas lost and the real possibility of the system being contaminated due to the broken connection, and that is to repair it properly! Simply adding gas as a 'suck it and see' remedy is very wrong and likely to see you with an ongoing problem.
Again: Suggest not running compressor until you can top up the oil, (or better still replace oil and replace filter dryer (if possible) evacuate properly then re-gas, leak test and test run. Re-gas slowly (not exceeding 15PSI) until evaporator frosts over and compressor runs continually.
OzeLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 18:58   #10
Marine Service Provider

I assume you dehydrated system again after soldering line if so then you will not need to replace the Adler Barbour Filter/dryer. Conformation of this is good frosting of evaporator and filter and line leaving it is still warm. You will know in 24 hours if dehydration was adequate.

Tags
refrigeration