Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2021, 13:16   #16

Re: Advice on head replacement

1. Pump assembly is the easiest and quickest. I have done that on boats I have owned and it also solved some of the other drips and annoyances.
2. I owned two boats with the Lavac head and it is the most carefree toilet I have owned.
3. Compost toilet. I have a C-head in my present boat, tore out a Jabsco and holding tank to install. These are taller and have larger foot, so some interior modifications are necessary, but glad to have done it. The solids portion needs emptying about every ten days with the peat moss medium for two living onboard full time. The urine container every few days.
To test hoses, wet a small portion of a rag, rub hoses vigorously in one spot, then sniff. If stinky, replace hoses. They also get a build up of calcium deposits on the inside, builds up quicker in tropics with very salty water, much slower with brackish or fresh water, though lots of pumps (minimum twenty pumps per flush) minimizes build up.
The galley is the only part of the boat that gets greater use than the head.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 14:00   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Annual replacement of the joker valve in any manual toilet will improve the toilet's flushing "power," but adding water to the bowl (use a cup from the sink) ahead of solids will leave the bowl a LOT cleaner with fewer pump strokes.

It's unlikely that your toilet pump is still original...it's a certainty that it's been replaced several times in 39 years, and I'm guessing it's been a while since it was last replaced. So I'd replace it instead of just replacing a few parts in it that may or may not solve your problems. It's a MUCH easier job--just remove and replace a few bolts and hoses and you're done. Johnson Pump toilets are much higher quality than Jabsco, so I'd replace it with another Johnson Pump--just the pump, not the whole toilet. Keep it well lubricated and replace the joker valve at least annually...always add water to the bowl ahead of solids and it should give you 5-7 years of good service.

And btw...it may also be well past time to replace the hoses too. Check the inside of the toilet discharge line for sea water mineral buildup when you remove it to replace the pump.

--Peggie

And get a copy of Peggie's book.
And keep it aboard for future reference!

The New Get Rid of Boat Odors
https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...dp/1892399784/

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 14:04   #18
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for recommending me! I contributed my $.02 worth in post #5.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 21:46   #19

Boat: Chatam 50

I found it easiest on my boat to replace the old Jabsco with a new one and carry a full array of spare parts as surely one of the valves will need replacing every season. If you can find individual parts for the new Jabsco, buy a few, especially joker valves. The replacement parts often come all packaged together and as a kit are expensive and most will not have to be replaced as often as others. The flapper valve needs replacing every two seasons and the odd o-ring even less seldom. Keep the pump handle lubricated with a bit of vaseline. Our season runs at least three months every year and there are often four aboard. If sailing in salt water, make certain to flush very thoroughly each time and leave nothing but clean water in the bowl and the lines. Urine combines with sea water and creates plaque in the pipes and you don't want that. If you have a diverter valve (you will if you have a holding tank), move the handle regularly as the units are pretty poorly made and it won't take much to snap the handle off if it gets stuck through non use. Of course you cannot replace the handle.
Leee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 22:25   #20

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Seems pretty similar to Jabsco. Are you sure a Jabsco joker valve replacement (~C$24) wouldn't solve problem?

Take old joker valve to marine store and compare it to a Jabsco.
The SPX Johnson people always assured me the Jabsco parts would be compatible & vice versa (the company I worked for distributed both brands), but better take a close look before buying.
(buying a secondhand boat the one thing for sure "to go" would be the toilet! Gets you brownie (sic) points with the lady too)
Old 27-04-2021, 23:14   #21

Boat: Ta Shing - Baba 35

I had the same issues. I replaced joker valves every 6 months while living aboard. I replaced the head when it was due to rebuild. For me prices were a lot different tho. $120 for the pump or $167 for the whole unit. It was an easy choice, replacing the head like in kind took like.. 30-45 minutes.

Haven’t been super impressed with the jabsco heads.... but they’re cheap enough at least.
Old 27-04-2021, 23:43   #22

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Get a Lavac and you will not need any spares for the toilet.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 23:46   #23

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Get a Lavac and you will not need any spares for the toilet.
after 2 rtw with Lavac: not true! The Henderson pump needs new valves from time to time.

after 1 1/2 Years with Jabsco: Lavac maybe a little better, but definnitely not worth the extra money.
Jabsco spares available EVERYWHERE (& I mean everywhere!)
Old 28-04-2021, 03:40   #24

Boat: Volkscruiser

How about a Jabsco electric toilet. Just push the black button and the bowl empties. Easy enough to explain to guests.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 08:16   #25

Boat: 1982 C&C 30

In response to the straight replacement of the Jabsco valve for the Spx Flow valve - I'm not 100% sure, but the Jabsco valve does have a different shape to the Spx Flow valve (sort of a three prong versus a duck bill kind of shape) so I have my doubts...
Kelly7784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 08:25   #26

Boat: 1982 C&C 30

In response to the suggestion to just clean it out - Perhaps I should have mentioned that I did do this - which is how I discovered the valve was the problem (in concert with several youtube videos...)
Kelly7784 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, head, men