Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2021, 07:08   #1

Boat: 1982 C&C 30
Advice on head replacement

Hello!

I am new to the forum and a new sailor. My partner and I recently purchased a 1982 C&C 30. She has an SPX Flow Johnson Pump manual toilet, which we discovered does not flush all the waste it receives (there is always some left in the bowl). Through some helpful posts on this forum, I have come to realize that the joker valve is the culprit and took apart the head a couple days ago to confirm; indeed, there is a small gap there and the valve is not closing completely, which I think explains the problem.

I called SPX Flow yesterday to confirm that the part listed as a replacement (gasket kit 81-47242-01) would be compatible with the toilet as it appears to be an older model from the website (S/N A030491). The SPX Flow folks appear to have no information about older models due to an acquisition by another company, so my question cannot be answered!

My options are:
(1) take a gamble and see if the gasket valve package fits/works (about $90 + 7-10 days to get the part to Canadian PNW);
(2) buy the whole pump assembly and replace that - then it will definitely fit (about $160, same shipping time); or
(3) buy a new head and install it ($250, no shipping time as they are in stock locally) and it would be a Jabsco, which has much more readily available parts

My inclination is option (3), but I am leery of having to attach the new lines to the toilet. Wondering if anyone has advice and/or experience to share.

Thank you for your thoughts!
Kelly7784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 07:40   #2

Boat: 38" Sailboat
Re: Advice on head replacement

Does your head smell? If so there is a good chance the lines need to be replaced, especially if they are older. If you have to take the toilet apart already for repairs or to replace, you might as well go the rest of the way.

Replacing the hose made a huge difference in my boat.
SailingPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 07:45   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41

Seems pretty similar to Jabsco. Are you sure a Jabsco joker valve replacement (~C$24) wouldn't solve problem?

Take old joker valve to marine store and compare it to a Jabsco.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 07:50   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

I would install the new head and be done with it.
Old 27-04-2021, 07:56   #5
Marine Service Provider

Annual replacement of the joker valve in any manual toilet will improve the toilet's flushing "power," but adding water to the bowl (use a cup from the sink) ahead of solids will leave the bowl a LOT cleaner with fewer pump strokes.

It's unlikely that your toilet pump is still original...it's a certainty that it's been replaced several times in 39 years, and I'm guessing it's been a while since it was last replaced. So I'd replace it instead of just replacing a few parts in it that may or may not solve your problems. It's a MUCH easier job--just remove and replace a few bolts and hoses and you're done. Johnson Pump toilets are much higher quality than Jabsco, so I'd replace it with another Johnson Pump--just the pump, not the whole toilet. Keep it well lubricated and replace the joker valve at least annually...always add water to the bowl ahead of solids and it should give you 5-7 years of good service.

And btw...it may also be well past time to replace the hoses too. Check the inside of the toilet discharge line for sea water mineral buildup when you remove it to replace the pump.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 09:31   #6

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Get a composting toilet and be done with it. Fits in the same space. No seawater coming into the boat (at least for this purpose) no hoses, no holding tanks, no looking for operational pump-out stations, no overflowing holding tanks, no smell. One of the best investments I have made on Scorpius.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 09:33   #7

Replace the pump, replace all the sanitation hoses. Take care of it with lubrication and adequate pumping of waste out of the lines.
sophiedaisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 09:36   #8
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly7784 View Post
Hello!

I am new to the forum and a new sailor. My partner and I recently purchased a 1982 C&C 30. She has an SPX Flow Johnson Pump manual toilet, which we discovered does not flush all the waste it receives (there is always some left in the bowl). Through some helpful posts on this forum, I have come to realize that the joker valve is the culprit and took apart the head a couple days ago to confirm; indeed, there is a small gap there and the valve is not closing completely, which I think explains the problem.

I called SPX Flow yesterday to confirm that the part listed as a replacement (gasket kit 81-47242-01) would be compatible with the toilet as it appears to be an older model from the website (S/N A030491). The SPX Flow folks appear to have no information about older models due to an acquisition by another company, so my question cannot be answered!

My options are:
(1) take a gamble and see if the gasket valve package fits/works (about $90 + 7-10 days to get the part to Canadian PNW);
(2) buy the whole pump assembly and replace that - then it will definitely fit (about $160, same shipping time); or
(3) buy a new head and install it ($250, no shipping time as they are in stock locally) and it would be a Jabsco, which has much more readily available parts

My inclination is option (3), but I am leery of having to attach the new lines to the toilet. Wondering if anyone has advice and/or experience to share.

Thank you for your thoughts!
After I purchased a new-to-me boat many years ago it continued to have head problems for a couple years. I got tired of messing with it and finally purchased a replacement pump assembly...it was the one of the best decisions I ever made with that boat. You don't need an entire new toilet as the pump assembly is the the real working part.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 09:44   #9

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Go composting head …Rip it all out, get rid of old smelly lines and get back the tankage area.
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 10:20   #10

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Rip it all out and go with a composting toilet or a portapotty. Both my boats came with heads now gone. This increased space for storage and removed smells. Do you want to haul around gallons of sewage?

I have an Airhead in one boat and a portapotty in the other.
No smells no problems no maintenance. I would much rather dump my portapotty than wrestle with sewage-filled hoses every year.

Unless you are planning some major trips I would go with the portapotty. Easy to dump and it stays clean no smells. Otherwise a composting toilet.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 10:42   #11

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

I was going to suggest a Lavac vacuum head because of their simplicity (ours has been in use for 25 years and ccasionally needs new flappers in the Whaler pump, a minor job) but the composting head suggestions intrigue me. How often do they need to be dumped?

Jim sv Gaia
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 11:05   #12

Did nobody suggest first trying to clean the original valve before chucking everything?
Muriatic acid outdoors with glasses and rubber gloves. Give it a go.
swisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 11:10   #13

Boat: Watkins29

Compost toilet.
bermudabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 11:15   #14

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

Since you are new I will add that when you lube the moving parts or seals use non petroleum product like super Lube.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 11:19   #15

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

One more thing, Peggy Hall is the expert on all things sanitation. She posts here sometimes and has a book on marine sanitation that is wonderful. A boat with a broken toilet also has a broken crew.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, head, men