Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2011, 15:07   #16

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Re: Advice Please About Electric Toilets

For those who replied to my post and anyone interested in buying a marine toilet: Here’s what I bought.
After discovering my “holding tank” was really a “holing tank” and could not be repaired I decided to buy the Raritan Elegance electric head along with their Purasan waste treatment system with sea water flush. This combination is not cheap, but it does away with holding tanks—in places we are interested in visiting anyway. It is a nice loo, with a full size seat and reasonably quiet, and uses less power than their Electrsan.
I have tons of battery power and a 6.5 Kw generator, so we don’t anticipate being short on this essential commodity. After using the head for a couple of months I bought the same system for the aft bathroom, and both are working fine.
I now plan to introduce a fresh water supply to both, for when in port, through a splitter hose with none return valves, which should resolve the smell we get from the putrid water of the Florida Intercoastal.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 19:22   #17
Marine Service Provider

Re: Advice Please About Electric Toilets

The Marine Elegance is actually designed to use onboard pressurized flush water...to use sea water requires adding a a remote intake pump. So why would you need to "add a splitter hose with non-return valves" to simply return the toilet intake to work the way it's designed to work? See the manual here:
http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/...e%20Manual.pdf

Since you've obviously already installed the remote intake pump, it would be relatively simple matter to add the controls to create the "Sea Fresh System" Raritan has already designed for the Elegance. The installation instructions are here:

http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/.../L471V0210.pdf

And I do hope you opted to add the "Smart Flush" panel that provides 4 flush options.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 05:24   #18

Re: Advice, Please, About Electric Toilets

I really only wanted to tell the people who responded to my post what I finished up with, and maybe help others.
But yes, I do have all those things, because I had long discussions with the Raritan engineers about my layout and where to locate the various equipment, like the chlorinator and Purasan. They told me it was always better to flush with fresh water if possible, but I did not want the added cost and complication of their water solenoids and switches on both toilets.
I have already had a failure of one of the control boxes anyway, but they have been prompt to satisfy this.
I plan to simply introduce a fresh water supply to the suction side of the pumps, so when this is available from the dock I will just close the seawater inlets, so the pump draws fresh water only. The reason for the one-way valve is to prevent any possible backwash into the dock fresh water, although this is highly unlikely since the pressure from the dock supply will always exceed any backpressure from the pumps and wash any residule sea water through the toilets.
I also intend to put a simple switch in the Purasan activating wire marked “Number two”, which will only activate the Purasan motors when solids need extra maceration. The toilet pump is the only thing which pressurizes the system anyway, and my lines are very short, so when only “Number one’s” are being flushed there is no need for the added power drain of the Purasan, and the chlorination process is not effected by this anyway.
It may sound complicated, but it’s actually not, and it will prevent the stink we get every time we draw the mucky marina water into our toilets.
Old 25-10-2011, 06:09   #19
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I put 4 Raratan SeaEra freshwater flush toilets on Palarran and couldn't be happier. I also was ordered to install new ones upon purchase. I really like the simplicity of the single push button control. 5 seconds for pee, 10 for the other. I also eliminated 4 thru-hulls in the process. The full size bowl is an extra bonus.
Old 25-10-2011, 09:09   #20
Marine Service Provider

SeaEra is an outstanding toilet...PS rated it "best budget buy" in their macerating toilet comparison in this year's Feb. issue.

I really like the simplicity of the single push button control.

I think you'd like the optional 3-way flush even better, 'cuz it allows you to add water to the bowl ahead of solids, which really cuts down on the amount of flush water needed to rinse the bowl. Offers a choice of "add water" only, dry flush, or same combo as the single button.

Can only be used with the pressurized flush water version (which you have), though...can't be added to the sea water version.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 15:04   #21

I do have all those things, because I had long discussions with the Raritan engineers about where to locate the various equipment, like the chlorinator and Purasan. They told me it was always better to flush with fresh water if possible, but since I have two toilets I did not want the added cost and complication of their water solenoids and switches.
I have already had a failure of one of the control boxes anyway, but they have been prompt to satisfy this.
I am simply going to introduce a fresh water supply to the suction side of the pumps, so when this is available from the dock I will just close the seawater seacocks, so the pump draws fresh water only. The reason for the one-way valve is to prevent any possible backwash into the dock fresh water, although this is highly unlikely since the pressure from the dock supply will always exceed any backpressure from the pumps.
I also intend to put a simple switch in the Purasan activating wire marked “Number two”, which will only activate the Purasan motors when solids need extra maceration. The toilet pump is the only thing which pressurizes the system anyway, and my lines are very short, so when only “Number one’s” are being flushed there is no need for the added power drain of the Purasan, and the chlorination process is not effected by this anyway.

Tags
electric