Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2017, 11:10   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 409
Aftermarket thermostat to regulate hot water temp

I have a Quick B3 40 hot water heater and it does have a regulator but its only adjustable from boiling hot to water from hell.

It just seems so wasteful to heat water up that hot, especially since it uses 120A/hr.

If I could adjust the temperate of the hot water to something more reasonable, I might even have enough solar power to leave it on 24/7.

Does a product exist on the market that would allow me to do this?
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
epiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 11:18   #2

Re: Aftermarket thermostat to regulate hot water temp

I would contact Quick. For such an expensive heater it should be more adjustable. The manual indicates it will adjust 40 C (104F) and up. Maybe the thermostat is bad if it just seems to go on and off. The simple old school thermostats work very well without issue. Too bad Quick maybe chose to invent something for your extra money...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 08:56   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I would contact Quick. For such an expensive heater it should be more adjustable. The manual indicates it will adjust 40 C (104F) and up. Maybe the thermostat is bad if it just seems to go on and off. The simple old school thermostats work very well without issue. Too bad Quick maybe chose to invent something for your extra money...?
The only thing their thermostat seems to do is select how much cold water is added to the mix to achieve a certain temperature. Its like a mixing valve.

It does not change how hot the water gets inside the heater. I can barely touch the outside without burning myself.
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
epiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 09:05   #4

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

The high water temp and mixing valve helps expand your capacity. If you have a 6 gallon tank at a high temp, it takes a lot of cold water mixed in to bring it to a comfortable showing temp, and that makes it feel like you have 12 gallons of hot water.

The high water temperature is on purpose.

Matt
Old 23-01-2017, 09:16   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
The high water temp and mixing valve helps expand your capacity. If you have a 6 gallon tank at a high temp, it takes a lot of cold water mixed in to bring it to a comfortable showing temp, and that makes it feel like you have 12 gallons of hot water.

The high water temperature is on purpose.

Matt

Besides, there's no good way to regulate the heating from your engine. Run the engine a couple hours and the water in the tank will be the same temperature as your engine's cooling water. That's often 180 degrees.
Old 23-01-2017, 10:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiic View Post
The only thing their thermostat seems to do is select how much cold water is added to the mix to achieve a certain temperature. Its like a mixing valve.

It does not change how hot the water gets inside the heater. I can barely touch the outside without burning myself.
The thermostat on the water heater is for AC heating only. That's the one I was talking about. It will not regulate engine heated water. Maybe I don't understand your system, but typically, the electric coil heats the water and cuts off when it reaches the setting on the thermostat. That's all the T-stat does. You regulate the temperature at the tap by mixing cold with hot water.
Are you saying you have an auto regulation of water temp at the tap?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 11:02   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiic View Post
The only thing their thermostat seems to do is select how much cold water is added to the mix to achieve a certain temperature. Its like a mixing valve..
In that case, it's not a thermostat, it is a mixing valve. A thermostat on an electric water heater turns off the electricity to the heating element when the water reaches the temperature it is set for. It turns the electricity back on when the temperature drops a few degrees below that set temperature.

Tags
water