Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2023, 17:55   #16

Boat: Privilege 435
Re: Air conditioning: 32,000 BTUs - SMJ was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
You find it hot in Marathon?
The privilege has these big sweeping slanted windows. Turns the cockpit into an oven. I’d rather not explain why I’m dripping sweat on a video call when everyone else up north is in a blizzard…
Old 06-03-2023, 06:47   #17

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

On a day showing an outside temp of 102, the inside temp of our 43' Portofino was 68. We have two MarineAir units, a 16k and a 9k with a 9kw generator.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 16:23   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
A pair of the biggest Coleman Machs.

No through hulls or seawater allowed in here by design.

But you had posted that the size of them was adequate. And that I should just turn them on early in the morning to make sure they get the boat cooled down. And that works perfectly.
I bought a nice Jayco Eagle trailer for use on a couple of home remodels/ gut jobs so lived in it on sight. This was in South Florida and to increase the efficacy of my rooftop Coleman Mach AC I used this on all the windows, cheap, worked great and resists moisture plus, it stows easily when not in use: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...-048/307281313
If you want to stay cool and can live with the cave effect created by blacking out the windows during the day, you'll love this stuff.
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 16:24   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Confianza View Post
The privilege has these big sweeping slanted windows. Turns the cockpit into an oven. I’d rather not explain why I’m dripping sweat on a video call when everyone else up north is in a blizzard…
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...-048/307281313

There's a home depot in Marathon...
Old 11-03-2023, 16:41   #20

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggerknot View Post
I bought a nice Jayco Eagle trailer for use on a couple of home remodels/ gut jobs so lived in it on sight. This was in South Florida and to increase the efficacy of my rooftop Coleman Mach AC I used this on all the windows, cheap, worked great and resists moisture plus, it stows easily when not in use: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...-048/307281313
If you want to stay cool and can live with the cave effect created by blacking out the windows during the day, you'll love this stuff.
Waaaaaay ahead of you. Ha ha

That stuff is great! Reflects the heat. I made composite insulation panels for the greenhouse (ahem, salon) using that exact stuff laminated to 1" XPS foam insulation. Cuts down dramatically on the heat gain. That silver stuff faces outward. Pink faces inward. I need to add another layer of pretty stuff to the inside so it looks nicer.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 22:07   #21

LOL, yeah, this can't be beat and with the additional inch you are in refrigerator territory =) If you can devise overhead shade you'll really be in business, easy on a monohull but on a cat, no lo se. Visit a Michael's and get some nice Ultrasuede and some 777 adhesive, looks nice and absorbs sound. Fair winds
Old 12-03-2023, 06:32   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Do find it so amusing how that part of the world seem dependent on AC if you acclimatize you don't actually sweat

You know, I can say the same about cold. It's called clothes, but it is also acclimatization. I consider 45-60 to be the best working weather, and I would take 50F over 95F for sailing any day.

I amused by people who feel it is cold when it is merely comfortable.

Old 12-03-2023, 06:37   #23

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
You know, I can say the same about cold. It's called clothes, but it is also acclimatization. I consider 45-60 to be the best working weather, and I would take 50F over 95F for sailing any day.

I amused by people who feel it is cold when it is merely comfortable.

I could not agree more!

Can't wait to have good working temperatures that increase my productivity and thinking capacity.

If it's too cold? You can always put on a sweater, hoodie or jacket.

If it's too hot? Suffer or start an air conditioner.

I'll take cold over hot any day.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 06:45   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Do find it so amusing how that part of the world seem dependent on AC if you acclimatize you don't actually sweat
Without AC Florida would depopulate 90%. AC was invented in FL by Carrier I think.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning