Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2016, 13:44   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Air Conditioning Strainer Install (Before/After Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You went from bronze to plastic for a perceived problem? My one boat with AC would shut off if the flow wasnt enough, maybe Jeanneau figured that would tell you if it was clogged...?

The throughhull strainer in that photo is the same junk the 5 year valve is made from.

I don't like the plastic strainers, but it's a huge improvement over that style of strainer...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 14:07   #17
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiic View Post
For whatever reason (probably to save money) Jeanneau installed a tiny bronze strainer for the 24,000BTU air conditioning system.

Not only did I feel it was undersized, but I had no way of knowing if its clogged unless I opened it.

I searched for a plastic solution because I will be spending most my time in saltwater. I decided on the Groco WSB-1000-P pump inlet strainer and it fit my space perfectly.

Decent job.

Agree with others that a bronze strainer is more durable than plastic, but it's certainly not the end of the world.

Glad to see the double hose clamps. (Better if they were opposing directions and sides of the fittings.)

Not sure if it was necessary; when an HVAC system experiences insufficient flow, it will shut down and display an error code (check the valve is open first, then strainer, then pump.)

I would have been inclined to orient the strainer so as to not take up so much bilge space. (If you are never needing that area for storage, no worries).

Ensure there are limber holes from this area to the bilge pump, or install a bilge pump in this compartment, so if any component starts leaking, the pump will come on. Better yet if the pump is alarmed.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 14:48   #18

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I've got the same plastic strainer, and haven't really worried about it. Due to a really shallow bilge, I didn't mount it to a bracket; it just lies its side held place by the stiffness of the hoses.

But I have to say, the install IMHO is a vast improvement over the bronze strainer mounted rigidly to the thru hull, creating quite a long lever arm. At least that's what it looks to me.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 14:48   #19

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

I have the exact same strainer in my engine intake line. The boat is from 2005. When I bought it from PO in 2011 it took me several weeks of repeated efforts to finally unscrew the clear bowl without wrecking it. The threading is plastic on plastic and over time some type of plastic bonding seems to set in. My advice, next time you clean it, put some neutral sea water resistant grease on the threads. BTW it has now been in constant use and 11 years old. The boat is in the water all year. Installed under the waterline, still clear and no problems.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 18:51   #20

Boat: Sigma 41

I replaced the small factory installed ac strainer with a large Raritan clear plastic strainer which i bought from Hopkins Carter a good price around $100. The clear plastic is very thick and lets you see what is inside before opening it up.
It also has 1.5 inch ports. Works well when floating sea grass is ingested in large amounts.
dneve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 21:00   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You went from bronze to plastic for a perceived problem? My one boat with AC would shut off if the flow wasnt enough, maybe Jeanneau figured that would tell you if it was clogged...?
You wouldn't suspect that was bad for the AC unit? It is. Rather like waiting for the low oil pressure light.

It is also nice to be able to clean proactively, rather than at night.
Old 20-10-2016, 21:25   #22

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
You wouldn't suspect that was bad for the AC unit? It is. Rather like waiting for the low oil pressure light.
Awh, just exercising the electronics.
Kinda like opening and closing a thruhull valve every month.
Old 21-10-2016, 07:24   #23

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiic View Post
For whatever reason (probably to save money) Jeanneau installed a tiny bronze strainer for the 24,000BTU air conditioning system.

Not only did I feel it was undersized, but I had no way of knowing if its clogged unless I opened it.

I searched for a plastic solution because I will be spending most my time in saltwater. I decided on the Groco WSB-1000-P pump inlet strainer and it fit my space perfectly.
I doubt Jeanneau used that filter "to save money" but more likely because it fit in the available space in a manner that would have allowed it to be opened without spilling (much of) the contents into the bilge pan. Never-the-less, your Groco strainer is certainly adequate for the job and, of course, does have the advantage of allowing you to see the condition of the filter strainer. Note that when you do want to open the filter, I'm sure you don't need reminding to do so slowly so you can collect the run-off in a shallow pan rather than allowing it into the bilge pan. Your March pump is a good one but it will not like being exposed to any water. Moreover, keep in mind that the pump has two small oil galleries on either end of the motor and needs a couple of squirts of 3-1 oil every 2-3 months to keep it happy. In re: the filter, normally hand tight will keep it sealed but it does help to add a little silicon grease to the threads from time to time to prevent binding/galling.

Other than the foregoing observations, I think you've done a good job.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 10:11   #24

We have run into a related issue. We recently bought a 2014 Jeanneau 509. After being alerted by our neighbors at the dock on the Mystic River, where we are docked, that it has some peculiar combination of seagrass, worms and fish eggs that are clogging A/C strainers we decided to check ours. The seacock, to which the A/C strainer is attached looks pretty corroded. We are concerned with removing the strainer cap (to clean the strainer) as it does not appear that there are any spare O rings on the boat. Nor none available from Jeanneau unless we buy a whole new strainer. The mechanic at the dock found some similar size o rings but they are not flat the way the one on the strainer looks. Has anyone had to replace the O ring when the cleaned their strainer and if so what size is it and where best to order it?

Maybe we are being overly cautious, but since the water flow seems fine now we are hoping to get the spare O rings when we do attempt to remove the cap and clean it.

Thanks all,
sailingmonika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 10:20   #25

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

IMHO your situation is long term unacceptable. The strainer will clog, the only question is when. I would live with it for now but on the next haulout I would replace with separate filter and

and through hull. Here in Florida AC is a necessity not a luxury
and regular filter cleaning is generally necessary
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning