Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2024, 12:45   #1

Air Head Stinks Like an Outhouse!

I've had my Air Head for about 3 years and it's been pretty great until maybe 6 months ago when the urine seperator somehow stopped working. I'm not sure how it worked in the first place but it's sure not doing it's job now and the result is so nauseating, I've considered shot-putting the whole thing into the deep blue. Anyone else had this issue?

I couldn't see anything jammed in the mechanism on the trap door but I wasn't gonna spend too much time looking because of the stench. I'm about to store the boat for a considerable time so I might throw the toilet in the trash and either buy a different brand next or build one. So weird, this thing worked great before!
SomeGuyInaShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 14:15   #2

Re: Air Head Stinks Like an Outhouse!

I bumped into an Airhead user a couple weeks ago who complained about the same thing. Said urine was mixing with the solids compartment, but sounded like it had been going on for a while. He felt the design on my Nature's Head was superior.

Sorry I don't have a suggestion for a repair. But yes, you have some company out there. Overall, we've been pleased with our NH - two of us full time in Mexico.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 14:48   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Crud has accumulated in the area between those two holes and the entrance to the urine container, allowing urine to overflow into the solids container. Probably once a year or so I fish a wire or some thin metal tool into that area to clean out hair and other crud. Vastly easier than most required cleaning procedures on any traditional marine head I have owned. You want clear passage from those two holes into the urine container. Also, occasionally when we have some guy on board who insists on peeing while standing we end up with urine in the solids compartment. Ask everyone to sit and avoid that problem.
Old 04-02-2024, 15:38   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Sounds like KW has given you the solution. Seems simple enough. You definitely don't want urine getting into the feces container.

I've only ever owned and operated a Nature's Head. The design wouldn't allow this problem to happen, but if men use too much (ahem...) water-pressure, the urine can back-flow over the sloping lip and into the main container.

Good luck with the fix. Sounds simple enough.
Old 04-02-2024, 15:47   #5

10-4 buying a Nature's Head lol
SomeGuyInaShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 03:48   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The AirHead fix is really easy and I wouldn't scrap the head just because of that!
Old 05-02-2024, 07:54   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
The AirHead fix is really easy and I wouldn't scrap the head just because of that!
Agreed. Although I've never owned an AH, they seem to be great composters. I always think of AH and Nature's Head as basically the same, with a few minor differences.

The fix seems very easy. I'd certainly do that first.
Old 05-02-2024, 14:40   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@ SomeGuyInAShirt:

I used to camp in campgrounds with old fashioned wooden outhouses. Pour in about 1 qt. of non-pasteurized beer,* and then wait as long as you can to use it, sort of deal. It worked enough to be able to stay in to do one's business.

*Do not be passing it through your kidneys first.

I sympathize with your difficulty to work in those conditions, especially if it is hot and humid. People vary in their ability to handle it.

I think, if you don't mind the financial hit, offer it free to someone as is/ and they take it away. Then you pack up your boat for your departure, and install a NH when you come back and have more time. Normally, I'd suggest trying to fix it, but when you are under more time pressure than monetary, maybe just getting out from under the problem is the better way to go.

Ann
Old 05-02-2024, 15:14   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I've always felt the diverter lip on the Airhead was way to subtle. Why not a larger lip, like the new designs? I'm sure some epoxy putty would do the trick. I believe they do this to save vertical height, but an extra 1/2-inch would be great. This is not the first time I have heard of this problem with Airheads. They need to modify the mold just a tick.

Mine has a much higher lip, and hence, never has this problem.

Tags
head