Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2015, 08:26   #31

Boat: Jay Benford Junk Rigged Dory Schooner, 34'
Re: Airhead experiences? Don't get funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Can you point to a source for this SE? I'm not a NY sailor, but I've not heard of this issue before. Nature's Head claims to be: " U.S Coast Guard Approved type III marine head."

http://natureshead.net/assets/files/...egulations.pdf
Mike,

The NYC Dept of Parks and Recreation website states(http://www.nycgovparks.org/rules/section-3):

§ 3-08 Conduct and Clean Boating

Composting toilet systems are not permitted.

Thus, my concern.

Jason
SailingEtoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 08:31   #32

I know Canada has an issue with them but that is more a technicality as they are considered porta potties.(not that the technicality will get you out of a ticket if they decide to question it)

I've not heard of NY being an issue and no one questioned it when we spent a month there. Also did the Hudson River and Erie Canal and no issue. Lake Champlain has some draconian laws so they might consider it differently.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 11:14   #33

Boat: Creekmore 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
This might be a stupid question, still I am wondering how do you know that the liquid bottle is almost full?
Do you look into it regularly?
Is there a gauge warning you?

Overfilling would result in some off the stuff standing in the pipe to the tank, no? Must be a mess to take the liquid tank of to empty it...

Welcome to the Woods Mira 35 - Catamaran Lady Rovers Website!

The AH has a viewing window so you can see the level, but for us, it's generally too dark in the head and the window is too low for us to easily see it, so we just empty it on a schedule. It becomes another nightly chore. We don't HAVE to empty it every day, but we have had it overflow on us after two days, so we just empty it regardless of the level.

An overflow with the AH means pee on the floor. Not worth the risk! (I've heard it mentioned that this is one advantage of a NH over an AH.) It's no mess to take the liquid tank off at all on the AH. Loosen two little thumb screws and it slides out. We also use vinegar about once a week or so. I've read that some people put sugar in the liquid tank to combat odor, but there's really only a smell when it's not connected to the solids tank. Otherwise the fan takes the odor away. And we find that vinegar in the tank is less messy than sugar.
Simply Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 11:21   #34

Boat: Creekmore 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingEtoile View Post
So we are considering a composting toilet to replace the conventional head on our sailboat. We are pretty sold on one of the 3 popular units (Nature's Head, C-Head or Air Head) but have not sorted out exactly which one yet.

My concern are areas that restrict the use of composting toilets. Not that we are planning to go immediately but I've heard that the marinas surrounding New York City require a traditional holding tank and composting toilets are not allowed. Is this a growing trend or just an isolated issue? Do I need to consider having a backup blackwater tank just in case the authorities come knocking?
I've not heard this about NY, but I have talked to sailors in CA who had similar issues with some marinas. IMHO the benefits of a composting toilet (whichever brand you choose) are great enough to simply avoid marinas that do not allow CT. It is my impression that these types of regulation are on the way out instead of in. CT are relatively new and we all know how slowly regulations change. When we first got one we were in Marathon, FL and were told that only recently had the city marina there begun allowing CT. (Mostly because there was an Air Head dealer in town who educated the city about the process.) Much of the decision NOT to allow CT is due to lack of education and the snail's pace of regulatory change. Key West also at one point in the not so distant past did not allow CT. The regulation has changed slightly so that now there are different standards for "house boats" and boats that are navigable under their own power. I know Air Head has been in direct contact with the Coast Guard concerning the distinction and as long as you don't plan on living on a junk heap, there is no problem with a CT there now, either.

So the short answer is no, I wouldn't keep a backup blackwater tank. In doing so, you lose one of the greatest benefits of having a CT!
Simply Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 10:23   #35

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingEtoile View Post
Mike,

The NYC Dept of Parks and Recreation website states(http://www.nycgovparks.org/rules/section-3):

§ 3-08 Conduct and Clean Boating

Composting toilet systems are not permitted.

Thus, my concern.

Jason
Thanks Jason. I guess you're right about City of NY marinas. I notice they also say you can't pee over the side at the dock. I guess they're trying to avoid people dumping their urine over the side with a composting toilet. At the dock I dump our urine bottle into the land head. If I'm tied to a dock (and paying big bucks anyway), most of the time I use the marina's toilets anyway.

I don't think this means NY State has a restriction on CTs.
Old 19-11-2015, 11:33   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Thanks Jason. I guess you're right about City of NY marinas. I notice they also say you can't pee over the side at the dock. I guess they're trying to avoid people dumping their urine over the side with a composting toilet. At the dock I dump our urine bottle into the land head. If I'm tied to a dock (and paying big bucks anyway), most of the time I use the marina's toilets anyway.

It is NY City. It's as far from there as I can get. Having grown up there.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 16:26   #37

Boat: C&C 38 Landfall (1983 vintage)

We empty the AH's large liquids bottle every other day (with 2 people using it). We generally pour it down the sink in the head, which goes overboard. You can tell if the liquids bottle is getting full by the dribbling sound--if you can barely hear it, its time to empty. We use Second Generation-brand non-bleached biodegradable toilet paper in our AH because we think it degrades quicker.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DainyRays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 19:41   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34' "Lily Pad"

Quote:

The irony is, of course, that it is much simpler to just go below at night, remove the lock and open the Y valve. My guess is that with the Hudson River's reputation, nobody would notice. Try dragging half of your head on deck and pouring the floating contents overboard without anybody noticing. Shows how much thought was given to this decision but consider the source. There is, by a huge margin, absolutely no contest as to which of the two systems is the greater polluter.
Old 09-12-2015, 21:33   #39
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeene01 View Post
Probably the biggest adjustment for men is to SIT for #1. It's much easier when underway. Also prevents visitors from splashing the surrounding area.

Regards
MikeF.
When at sea, gentlemen sit to pee.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 22:46   #40

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Just used an Airhead on an 8 day offshore voyage. It worked well, though it didnt have the vent fan working so it got a bit damper than I would have liked. The Chead design seems better for an awthartships mount?

Small issues I can see with the design. Some urine seems to leak back into the toilet on one tack if it isnt aligned for and aft. I also found it hard to brace myself at sea due to its height. So ideally some sort of raised footrest would be nice.

I also see some issues with composting toilets and quarantine in the future in countries like Australia and NZ that take this kind of thing very serously. Not a problem for now, but a container of peat moss or coir is not going to thrill them! Nor is a potential container of foreign compost. We emptied ours half way and logged it just in case they asked about it.

Still what a huge improvement over anything else I have used.
Old 13-06-2016, 23:20   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
I also see some issues with composting toilets and quarantine in the future in countries like Australia and NZ that take this kind of thing very serously. Not a problem for now, but a container of peat moss or coir is not going to thrill them! Nor is a potential container of foreign compost. We emptied ours half way and logged it just in case they asked about it.

Still what a huge improvement over anything else I have used.
Just dump when you are 10-20miles offshore and bring it in empty. Really no worse than bringing in a 30 gallon vat of liquefied raw sewage.

So what's your worst case scenario...they confiscate the contents?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 23:28   #42

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Ha, that would have been fun. I dont think it will be a big issue, just another little thing to be aware of. Maybe dont open a package of peat or coir, then they might let you keep it.

At this stage it isnt on the quarantine guys radar in NZ, but I am sure it will be at some stage. Could make for some interesting conversations..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-07-2016, 14:05   #43

I have both nature's head and c head. I live alone on a hunter 450.

The natures head has a better urine capacity, which provides me almost a week of use without changing. 3 weeks on solids.

The c head is far easier to change the solids container and must be changed every 10 days. The liquid must be dumped every 48 hours.

The c head is more comfortable for me and more like a normal toilet.

Both models work well and have no odors. The c head is simply more comfy and easier to manage.

The customer service from both companies is golden ! pardon the pun. The owners of both companies will help you with whatever issues you have and are a pleasure to deal with. You can't go wrong with either model.
mtenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 14:48   #44

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtenzer View Post
I have both nature's head and c head. I live alone on a hunter 450.

The natures head has a better urine capacity, which provides me almost a week of use without changing. 3 weeks on solids.

The c head is far easier to change the solids container and must be changed every 10 days. The liquid must be dumped every 48 hours.

The c head is more comfortable for me and more like a normal toilet.

Both models work well and have no odors. The c head is simply more comfy and easier to manage.

The customer service from both companies is golden ! pardon the pun. The owners of both companies will help you with whatever issues you have and are a pleasure to deal with. You can't go wrong with either model.
It is nice to hear something good about customer support.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 16:17   #45

Boat: Rafiki 37

After a few years of use my Nature's Head vent fan stopped working for some unknown reason. I sent an email to NH owners, just noting the problem and wondering if they had heard of this before. I in no way asked for anything (it was an easy fix), or even hinted that I was annoyed. Basic maintenance I figured.

Before I even knew it, and without any request from me, NH sent me two new fans AND complete fan housing. I even got the old fan working. So now I have two complete spares ... all without even a request from me.

Now THAT is customer service .

Tags
enc, fun, funny, head