Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2023, 10:27   #31

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Another Fridge Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Nope, styrofoam, commonly used in refrigerators. It will be epoxy sealed inside a sealed sub assembly so no problems.
If it truly is Styrofoam, you can't epoxy it. It'll melt. Polyurethane foam is cheap and readily available at Homedepot and Lowes. It's the stuff to use, not Styrofoam.
Old 25-01-2023, 10:40   #32

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

1, Get 2-part foam.
2, Mix and pour in lid, (lid should be like a tray, with bottom and surrounding sides.
3, Board-sand expanded foam flush with top of lid frame.
4, Glass over with epoxy.
5, Add countertop part on top of frame.
6, Install.
Or the reverse, install countertop section on surround/frame, flip over and pour foam in from the bottom, glass bottom.

Now you're ready for more important things like varnish and beer.
Old 25-01-2023, 14:12   #33

Boat: Island Packet 40

Polyester resin melts polystyrene but I'm fairly sure epoxy does not however I'll try a test bit to make sure. I have also considered just vacuum sealing it in plastic since they are fairly small pieces.

Unfortunately we don't have Home Depot in Australia the big one being a company called Bunnings and I don't want to buy a large sheet for a small job. I already have plenty of polystyrene on hand left over from the decking over and sink proofing my dingy.

It'll work out fine, trust me.
Old 25-01-2023, 14:37   #34

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I’m pretty sure epoxy won’t dissolve the foam too. Unless it’s some kind of super fast cure version maybe, they add some odd stuff to the hardener that might be a problem.
Old 25-01-2023, 18:07   #35

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

I use this and don’t cut the 2 seals apart. Corners can be crazy glued and I the adhesive goes crazy glue it too. Great stuffClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0660.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	270555Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0663.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	270556Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0662.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	270557
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 01:54   #36

All the woodwork on the lids is now completed and the white cardboard pieces are the templates to be used in hot wire cutting of the polystyrene insulation pieces. After sealing and installing these the upper and lower pieces will be epoxied together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20230201194945.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	270952  
Old 05-02-2023, 00:52   #37

The images show the cutting board with aluminium angle pieces clamped on to ensure the cuts are vertical and act as the connection from the hot wire "garrote" to the 12 volt battery.

The second the pieces installed in the lid sections.

The next operation is to seal and glue the polystyrene pieces in place, then trim the excess, then seal the fresh cuts and glue the lids to the bottoms.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG20230204135509.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	271145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20230205181839.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	271146  

Old 14-02-2023, 12:10   #38

"Polyester resin melts polystyrene but I'm fairly sure epoxy does not however I'll try a test bit to make sure. I have also considered just vacuum sealing it in plastic since they are fairly small pieces."

The first test did not go well as I tried it using Norseal Epoxy Wood Sealer and it dissolved the styrofoam so I'll just have to bite the bullet and use the more expensive West System epoxy which is supposed to be formulated without the styrofoam eating solvents.

I am beginning to suspect that the 100% solids epoxies would generically be the non styrofoam eating ones.
Old 16-02-2023, 06:32   #39

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Quote:
"Polyester resin melts polystyrene but I'm fairly sure epoxy does not however I'll try a test bit to make sure. I have also considered just vacuum sealing it in plastic since they are fairly small pieces."

The first test did not go well as I tried it using Norseal Epoxy Wood Sealer and it dissolved the styrofoam so I'll just have to bite the bullet and use the more expensive West System epoxy which is supposed to be formulated without the styrofoam eating solvents.

I am beginning to suspect that the 100% solids epoxies would generically be the non styrofoam eating ones.
You have to be careful when epoxying polyurethane foam as well. Thick fillets and filling gaps with epoxy can melt the insolation not chemically, but thru heat generated by the epoxy curing and the insulation containing that heat.
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 08:47   #40

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:

I’ve had no problems with epoxy and XPS foam. I buy my resins from Trojan Fibreglass. A small fraction of the cost of West Systrm.
Old 16-02-2023, 09:14   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I’ve had no problems with epoxy and XPS foam. I buy my resins from Trojan Fibreglass. A small fraction of the cost of West Systrm.
Thanks GILow, I've pit their web site into my materials directory for future use.

I took the easy way out and wrapped the styrofoam in film wrap since it will be sealed inside the lids anyway.
Old 20-02-2023, 01:58   #42

All the woodwork done, insulation in and all glued together ready for prep and painting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG20230220135822.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	271783  
Old 20-02-2023, 02:17   #43

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Very nice Job, Raymond, in a tough spot to work. Thanks for your documentation anx photos.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 02:39   #44

Now that the lids are made the next task is to build the eutectic tanks.

The tanks are made from steam table trays with stainless steel sheet lids. There were two choices as to how to seal the lids: the first to use an adhesive for sealing and metal screws with nuts for mechanical fastening and the second, nitrile rubber gasket materials for sealing and the same screws for the mechanical aspect.

I decided on the nitrile rubber gaskets bonded to the stainless steel with super glue and the image shows two of the component parts fitted with the gaskets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG20230226201513.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	368.3 KB
ID:	272044  
Old 04-03-2023, 10:48   #45

The first image illustrates the glands through which the copper tubes constituting the condenser coil will enter the wholly DIY manufactured eutectic tank. These are fabricated from large SS washers with a thick rubber gasket, The holes will be opened out to 3/8" and when the gasket is compressed the tubes will be insulated from the SS tank skin.

The second image illustrated an expansion of the eutectic volume of the Ozefridge eutectic tank by way of fastening a second steam table tray to one of it's SS sheet sides. The Ozefridge tank is the largest they manufacture. However my box was designed with side alcoves to allow larger volume tanks without excessively reducing the storage volume.

Whilst it is a manufacturer unauthorized modification and consequently has warranty implications I'm fairly confident, going on the apparent high quality of the Ozefridge equipment, that a warranty claim will not arise.

The tank fillers are also SS washers with a rubber gasket with a 1/4" gas thread turned in the center hole for a brass plug.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG20230305042305.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	272396   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20230305042546.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	272397  

Tags
rebuild