Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 08:30   #76

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Another reason why Eutectic Plates are less desirable than Standard Refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
actually the home units have nothing to do with efficiency they have to do with how cheaply it can be manufactured. If they were wanting efficiency they would have kept the condenser coils on the back and not have incorporated them into the case for aesthetic reasons.
First off, the US government has mandated increased efficiency. I know of no home refrigerator manufacturers that have resorted to holding plates to achieve the requirements. Second, the condenser coils are incorporated in the case to use the entire metal case as a heat sink and prevent damage to the coil.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:46   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Another reason why Eutectic Plates are less desirable than Standard Refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
actually the home units have nothing to do with efficiency they have to do with how cheaply it can be manufactured. If they were wanting efficiency they would have kept the condenser coils on the back and not have incorporated them into the case for aesthetic reasons.
I installed a cool blue system and 200 watts of mono panels to run it. Well the new owner is living on the hook and the system is doing just great. 200 supports the fridge and all of the other power needs on the 42 ft Spencer.
The fact is I installed the solar must to run the fridge . Well it wouldn't run an Crap plate system . I installed one on a customers boat . But with 250 watts solar and it ain't cutting the mustard. ( I recommended a holding plate system he didn't want to spend the extra 500 bucks. ) he ended up having to purchase a portable generator to keep up with his refer demands.
I have two of our ColdEh machines running 24/7 on 200 watts of solar ,

Fridge is 7 cubic feet and deep freezer 0F is 2.5 cubic feet , each with there own system .

These are not holding plates as you know .

Regards John.
www.coldeh.com
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:48   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
The only reason a eutectic plate system should even be considered is if you ALREADY have excess energy available during certain time periods. Adding solar to get to that point would not be cost effective. Fact is that, evaporator plate refrigeration is more energy efficient, takes less space in the box, costs significantly less. Thats why it's used in just about every home in America. Energy consumption is HIGHLY functional on ambient temperature, box temperature, and proper system sizing and setup that any so called "experiment" by sales staff should be given all the credibility it deserves------NONE.

You are correct Cap tube systems are very sensitive to condensing temperatures .

Regards John
www.coldeh.com
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:06   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEh Marine View Post
I have two of our ColdEh machines running 24/7 on 200 watts of solar ,

Fridge is 7 cubic feet and deep freezer 0F is 2.5 cubic feet , each with there own system .

These are not holding plates as you know .

Regards John.
www.coldeh.com
John as you know your company was still in the planning stages when I did that install .
It doesn't matter I am very happy with the system I installed. Tvx is the key to performance and efficiency.

Tags
refrigerator