Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2023, 11:57   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Anyone use the Seawater Pro Mini

I am looking for a water maker for my boat and I’m thinking portable so that I won’t have to mess around with through hulls and can use for my next boat (I’m not a full time cruiser or live aboard). It seems Rainman is the go to portable but this comes in at a better price. Has anyone used the seawater pro mini? They also have a micro on the board which would suit my needs well, especially from a $3k price point but that seems to be indefinitely delayed.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2023, 02:19   #2

Boat: Imexus 28
Re: Anyone use the Seawater Pro Mini

Built my own portable unit out of a secondhand Katadyn Pur Survivor 40e and a cheap Pelican Case knockoff from a motoring store.
Low output but also only 4amp hour power draw and fits neatly in my generator box along with the smaller of my two generators.
It has vibration absorbing feet, noise insulating foam internally, is water resistant and weighs just over 22kgs with lots of spares and consumables contained in the case including a spare reverse osmosis membrane and seal kit amongst others.
Happy to supply advice to others to replicate if asked.
Regards Graeme
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2460.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	284671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2498.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	284672  

Name:	IMG_2538.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	284673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2455.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	284674  

Name:	IMG_2441.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	284675  
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2023, 04:05   #3

Boat: Beneteau 46

I have the regular Seawater Pro AC version not the mini, but there is no reason the Mini would not work fine. SWP is using standard off the shelf components and their tech support has been excellent. My only question would be the amp draw which is not specified in the description - I would call them on that. Given the low output it would need to run a long time to fill your tanks.
Indolent58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2023, 04:41   #4

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indolent58 View Post
I have the regular Seawater Pro AC version not the mini, but there is no reason the Mini would not work fine. SWP is using standard off the shelf components and their tech support has been excellent. My only question would be the amp draw which is not specified in the description - I would call them on that. Given the low output it would need to run a long time to fill your tanks.

Their website says 600 watts at standard 110vac. So 600/120 = 5 amps draw. Not bad for 14 gph output!
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2023, 12:50   #5

Boat: O'Day 34

I’ve had a 120vac SWP for 5+ years and it’s been a great unit. Mike, the owner/engineer is always available with excellent tech support.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2024, 07:54   #6

I have one here at a marina in Casco Bay, Portland Maine. It's my first watermaker and we've been using it every week on our boat this winter since our purchase a month or so ago. We are unlikely to need it outside of the winter season since we have almost 175 gallon capacity in our tanks and can refill when dock water is turned back on. Space is also a concern for installation. Hence the purchase of this model.

Overall I like it and it suits our needs well. Having no experience previously I can only offer observations. It's rated at 14gph but we're getting around 7. TDS settles down to about 120 or so after it's been running for a bit. Water temp is in the 30's and I understand that has a significant effect on output. Components seem of high quality. Setup is pretty straightforward, takes about 5 minutes. TDS meter is not included, I tee'd one inline, about $30. I like the simplicity of just controlling pressure. No electronics of significance other than a 24v ac to dc converter for the boost pump. I'm replacing the 5 micron prefilter for each run, mainly because I'm sourcing in the marina and they are only $1 each.

Cons. the CPC fitting at the boost pump housing connecting to the boost pump output hose is challenged due to the stress of the stiffness of the hose when dangling over the side. I replaced a few inches of the stiff hose with 3/8" ID 1/8" wall silicone tubing spliced in with pex clamps and that seems to fix the problem of it working loose, which would be very bad. I also added a velcro wrap to hold the output hose against the filter housing, and a leash to the housing that I secure to a cleat to take the load off the hose and wiring.

Not for everyone, but I also replaced some of the CPC connectors; waste water - changed to a stainless connector to fit a standard garden hose, and for the boost pump hose at the high pressure pump I swapped the plastic CPC for a 3/8 stainless quick connect (commonly used in beer brewing).
Docsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 04:02   #7

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Docsparks - do you think your lower than rated output is due to water temp ? I'm sure I saw somewhere they mention that the rating is for 78 degree water. Although you getting half the rated output seems really low ? I don't know how much temp affects this....?

Old 12-01-2024, 06:13   #8

Sure looks like it. According to one website

https://aquaticlife.com/blogs/news/how-temperature-affects-ro-water-production

with our water temp in the mid 30's I need to derate at least by a factor of .34 which means I should expect under 5 gph. Getting 6-7 seems like the unit is performing very well.
Old 13-01-2024, 03:02   #9

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Thanks, that is good info. I did not realize water temp could so drastically change output.

Although you are definitely in some cold water !

Old 13-01-2024, 05:59   #10

Yeah, I didn't appreciate the drop either. We were lucky, I had considered their ultraportable one but I would have been very unhappy with as little as 2 gph winter production.
Old 13-01-2024, 11:39   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsparks View Post
Yeah, I didn't appreciate the drop either. We were lucky, I had considered their ultraportable one but I would have been very unhappy with as little as 2 gph winter production.
Their micro isn’t even out yet. That’s the one I’m considering but I really don’t need it often and won’t be in that cold of water.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2024, 20:53   #12

Boat: Beneteau 46.1

Similar to the OP, I started looking a the SWP portable for an upcoming offshore trip. I also would like to avoid the "where does it go, can I snake the power and hoses, do I have time to do that install" concerns.

My question is whether it could be successfully used while underway -- dropping the LP pump and hose into the wake at 4 - 8 kts!? Thoughts?
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water