Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 12:30   #1

Boat: Oyster 39
anything to be mindful of removing a frigoboat engine driven system?

Hi everyone,
I am hoping to remove my old frigoboat engine driven system today and replace it with a modern novakool unit.Looking at all the lines and contraptions I'm a bit concerned aboit how to remove the old unit. I have imagery of becoming mr.freeze somehow from batman...is there anything to fear at all? Or does anyone have a recommended procedure?
Deep6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:50   #2

Boat: PETERSON 44
First thing is you are not supposed to just blow the freon. Supposed to recover it. That way your not stuck some place inhaling freon. It will be pressurized so look out.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 08:49   #3

Boat: Maine Cat 30
Re: anything to be mindful of removing a frigoboat engine driven system?

I am a little late to the party, but I'm having the same questions. I have gotten the frigoboat out of its hole. This required removing a floor panel in front of it. Then I had to get the drain hole free from the drain pipe fixture underneath. This was done by placing a large flat head screwdriver into the drain hole and turning counterclockwise until the pipe below fell away. There are a couple of nipples in the drain hole that allow your screwdriver to gain purchase/traction. Then I removed the wires to the thermostat and the light (whose line had been cut some time in the PO's tenure). Now I'm staring at the last impediment, the copper pipes and wondering if I can just snip them and be done with it or somehow recover the freon first.

I am also replacing with a Nova Kool unit. R5812 is the model.

How did yours go?

Cheers
Pat
Old 20-08-2014, 09:54   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Generally refrigerant is not safe to breath. It can cause the heart to beat irregularly and could cause death if released in a confining space as most boats are. Large chiller rooms have alarms, horns and strobes and emergency fans to ventilate the machine room in case of a failure and release.

Generally R12 is a cause of ozone depletion and was more or less banned by many country's ages ago, R22 causes less ozone depletion, but should still not be released. IT also has been phased out.

R134A has zero ozone depletion, but is a greenhouse gas. Personally I love greenhouse gases as it is what keeps the planet from being an ice ball.

Generally all refrigerant should be recovered, period. If one was to vent the refrigerant then it should be vented to the outside where it will safely dissipate. If there is no service valves, then a saddle tap could be added. A ice maker kit with saddle valve would do that cheaply if one did not have the proper gauges, valves, etc.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 18:40   #5

Boat: Oyster 39

Sorry for the late reply, I called a refrigeration guy and well the guy took care of it in let's just say a not especially environmentally responsible way. The novakool is working great although be especially careful with the copper tubing. I was super careful installing it and a small blockage caused a slight kink and an immediate explicative stream.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Deep6 is offline   Reply With Quote