Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2020, 23:46   #31

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Australian East Coast pumpout facilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
My tank has more ways of being evacuated than I care to mention.

But for compliance purposes, I’d rather not have to document every time I dump the contents. Having a pump out option removes this requirement.

Incidentally, the force you are talking about with the dragged hose would be a Venturi effect. I’d need to be doing about 30 knots to create enough Venturi effect to suck out the contents of this tank, the initial lift is nearly a meter.
If the pipe is full of water before you put it in the tank, Its gravity that drains it,

But for compliance purposes, I get your point,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:56   #32

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I think you are part of the fortunate minority that have some unified standards, and I’ll bet it’s the bigger fitting.

It is important to me because I am heading to Lake Macquarie and would like to be able to easily comply with the regs.

Anyway, I’ve got two sizes now, hopefully that will see me through.
let me know when you get to lake mac...if we are here we can get together and compare camlock sizes

that respect our present boat (that we live aboard) has a holding tank but does not have any pump out fitting. dump only...could not pump out if we wanted to. our old boat had the 32mm cam lock fitting and this worked on all the pump outs we tried (on lake mac and elsewhere in nsw)

cheers,
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:01   #33

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
It really took a long time before you guys came to the conclusion that the continent ought to be one country. I'm still surprised that all the states drive on the same side of the road - more or less.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 22:31   #34

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
It really took a long time before you guys came to the conclusion that the continent ought to be one country. I'm still surprised that all the states drive on the same side of the road - more or less.
Prior to about 1900 it was separate British colonies each with it's own governor. The govenors still exist and approve the legislation of the state parliaments.

The different railway gauges was largely a matter of where the engineers that built the systems came from.

There is a lot of stuff in Australia that baffles folks from other places but overall it works and since WW2 it has become extremely ethnically diverse without much in the way of social problems.

The state of New South Wales is probably more sensitive to the sewage dumping issue because it has extensive shellfish farms in much of it's protected waters. All the other states have sewage disposal laws and regulations but not a plethora of pump out stations. Like pretty well none at all.

I cruise in areas in the north of the state of Queensland where chartering is common and keep my VHF on scan and often hear cruise boats being instructed to pump out their sullage tanks before they approach marinas and consequently suspect that although these marinas are busy they don't have pump out facilities.

Many of the anti dumping laws are comparatively recent and whilst there appeared to be a flurry of enforcement activities when they first came into play I have not heard any complaints from fellow boaties for about the last ten years or so.

It's prudent to carry all the right equipment though and I will be laying in a couple of the different sized camlok fittings just so that I can show pump out capability in NSW waters.

Traps For The Un inntiated.

In NSW one must wear a life vest in small dingies. Unaware of this I caught the attention of one of their maritime patrols. On visiting my boat the officer asked to see a life vest and I handed him one of my inflatables. His immediate response was that the item was unserviceable because the gas bottle was not screwed down tight. I keep them all this way in storage so that they do not get accidentally inflated if the pull cord gets caught whilst removing them from a crowded locker.

Moral of the story, always screw the cylinder down tight before handing over the vest for inspection.

Never admit to having expired flares or an epirb aboard even if you have the correct unexpired items. If they're desperate for a collar you might be booked for having unexpired items. I know, they are still useful and like most folks I keep mine, just never admit to it.

If you use a registered dingy as a tender you must have all the required safety equipment aboard. Yep, you may be using it as a tender and a tender is not required to have safety equipment, but if it's registered and does not have it they will book you.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, east coast, pump