Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2021, 07:05   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Automatic pumping of shower water without space for a sump+switch

Hi all,
I want/need automate the grey water pump out in my bow head as I install a wall hanging washing machine and the only way for its grey water hose is to let it go into the shower.

Problem is that the shower in the bow head (owner hull of a 40ft Lavezzi cat) has its grey water outlet in the floor directly connects to a hose, and the hose goes under the floor and then up under the sink where a pump sits which you need to manually operate. No space for the classic solution sump with a swimming switch and pump to automate it. No space, the outlet and hose hardly fit.
Is there another way to automate if there is water in the shower the pump switches on/off automatically?
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 07:12   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Automatic pumping of shower water without space for a sump+switch

Check out the Whale Gulper IC. It's an inline diaphragm pump like what you have now, but with an inline water sensor to turn it on/off automatically, rather than manually with a switch. Only downside is they're kinda expensive. The Whale Gulper pumps can handle hair and such, however, so they don't need an inline strainer.

As a note, the inline diaphragm pump is a far better solution for shower drainage than a sump anyway. It's a bit louder and most use a manual on/off switch, but it's lower maintenance without a sump to clean, etc. And it takes up less space and gives more mounting flexibility.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 08:05   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Check out the Whale Gulper IC. It's an inline diaphragm pump like what you have now, but with an inline water sensor to turn it on/off automatically, rather than manually with a switch. Only downside is they're kinda expensive. The Whale Gulper pumps can handle hair and such, however, so they don't need an inline strainer.

As a note, the inline diaphragm pump is a far better solution for shower drainage than a sump anyway. It's a bit louder and most use a manual on/off switch, but it's lower maintenance without a sump to clean, etc. And it takes up less space and gives more mounting flexibility.
Thank you for your answer.
Expensive indeed, the gulper IC gulley kit could fit.
But why the hell they make the hose connection part absolutely flat, no little frame or anything the hose gets friction to hold and seal. You don’t wanna tight the hose clamp down and break the plastic…only solution should be to get a 16mm hose and warm it up and force it over and then „secure“ with a hose clamp that has nothing to hold on.
But for that expense that isn’t a proper solution.
Old 26-08-2021, 08:35   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

Couldn't you just have the washing machine pump it's discharge water directly overboard and simplify things?
Old 26-08-2021, 08:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post

Found it, forget my post before. Cannot edit or erase it.

Expensive indeed, the gulper IC gulley kit could fit.
But why the hell they make the hose connection part absolutely flat, no little frame or anything the hose gets friction to hold and seal. You don’t wanna tight the hose clamp down and break the plastic…only solution should be to get a 16mm hose instead a 19mm and heat it up and force it over and then „secure“ with a hose clamp that has nothing to hold on.
But for that expense that isn’t a proper solution.
Old 26-08-2021, 08:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Couldn't you just have the washing machine pump it's discharge water directly overboard and simplify things?
Wish I could. Nope it’s installed on the bulkhead door in the bow to the bow storage room. below is the bow watertight compartment i cannot access. On the other side of the door it’s mounted is the shower. I can only go through the door and drain it into the shower Bassin.
Wall mounted daweoo Washing machine works with gravity for grey water and doesn‘t have a pump to pump it out.
Old 26-08-2021, 09:37   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Wish I could. Nope it’s installed on the bulkhead door in the bow to the bow storage room. below is the bow watertight compartment i cannot access. On the other side of the door it’s mounted is the shower. I can only go through the door and drain it into the shower Bassin.
Wall mounted daweoo Washing machine works with gravity for grey water and doesn‘t have a pump to pump it out.
Understood.

My shower has a manually operated pump to pump grey water overboard without a sump and float switch. Apparently, it can be run dry for short periods without t damage. You get into the shower, turn it on, take your shower and turn it off once the water is gone from the shower pan.

It would seem that would work for you but I don't know the brand or model of the pump. I suspect it's a common pump and you could find it in a catalog.
Old 27-08-2021, 12:17   #8

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

You say your washing machine has no internal pump for the drain water. But it probably has a solenoid valve that opens during the drain cycle. It will be electrically operated by 120VAC assuming your machine works on AC. And it will be powered up only during the drain part of the cycle.

If you have room inside the washing machine housing, you could add a 120V centrifugal pump right there. I'd use a relay with it's coil connected in parallel with the drain valve solenoid, and DPST contacts to apply AC to the pump. Using a relay will avoid overloading the circuit of the machine that is designed to power up the valve only.

Plumb the outlet of the centrifugal pump to the highest point of your sink drain, just under the sink. And you may need a check valve on the outlet of the centrifugal pump.

If there's no room for a pump inside the washer housing, you could use a diaphragm pump located under the sink, powered by 12V from the relay that is actuated by the signal sent to the drain valve. If so then your relay will have to provide 12V via it's contacts, then wired across to the pump.
Old 27-08-2021, 12:20   #9

Boat: 34 foot Ebbtide Steel Hull

Could you not fit a gulper to the washing machine outlet?
Old 27-08-2021, 13:14   #10

Boat: Island Packet 40

"You say your washing machine has no internal pump for the drain water. But it probably has a solenoid valve that opens during the drain cycle. It will be electrically operated by 120VAC assuming your machine works on AC. And it will be powered up only during the drain part of the cycle"

If this is the case you could tap off the electrical connection to this solenoid to power on a relay to run an outside pump placed elsewhere.
Old 27-08-2021, 14:03   #11

Thanks guys, the solonid solution was also on my mind and is 240V.
That Daewoo is widely used in the camping community and there are all sorts of shower sump drainage solution as most have it below the floor below the grey water tank. but nobody (or I cannot find it) posted a solution with this solonid valve steering a pump. So that seems not that easy but I will check on my buddy boat washing machine (the same) where the valve sits, how that valve operates and if I get to the contacts somehow.
In this case it’s easy as there was a watermaker installed in this location and brine pipe is there too but drainage point is on par with top of the washing machine.
Old 27-08-2021, 14:50   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

You could add a relay on that drain valve to activate your shower drain pump. Not ideal, but should suffice.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 17:23   #13

So I checked the washing Maschine out…no chance to get to the solenoid drain valve or the electric connection without tearing the whole thing apart, and maybe not even then…not surprised as many in the RV crowd have it and in 90% it’s mounted below the floor in an RV and waste tank is higher, so they need a pump solution…
It’s all located in the plastic „sandwich“ between the mounting back wall and the rear wall where the the drum is fixed…

Found by random a different location in the guest bow cabin, just 1m less front then the bulkhead door and directly behind is the watertank. And watertank shares a wall with the anker locker which has a drainage overboard.
Looks like I can run the grey water pipe below the tank, drill a whole in the wall and route the pipe into the anker locker and overboard.

Tags
pump, shower, water