Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2022, 06:12   #1

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Bavaria Fridge Box

Hi all,

in my Bavaria 50 Cruiser from 2013 there is a small fridge freezer (with a tiny freezer compartment) and a top loading fridge box with Dometic CU84 compressor and VD15 evaporator. This box runs unpredictably between -1 and +10 degrees (centigrade). Both devices are not really energy efficient. I came to the conclusion that the thermostat of the VD15 is broken and would like to replace it (or the whole unit) and refill the coolant.

However, we want to go for bluewater sailing and the admiral requires a large freezer box. Is that possible using the existing compressor (maybe with an isolation upgrade) or do I need a more powerful compressor?

Thanks for your input,

-Richard (svtanuki.5toll.com)
Old 06-08-2022, 07:10   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Bavaria Fridge Box

Topspin, The thermostat may be bad and that's an easy fix, but I don't think that cooling unit, even with a different evaporator, will support a big freezer.

That cooling unit (Dometic CU84) meant for smaller boxes so while its efficiency is probably OK it won't cool much. The VD15 evaporator is meant for air circulation (to keep a bigger box uniformly cool all over).

To support a big freezer you'll need a different compressor/cooling unit and a different evaporator.

To improve the overall efficiency you'll probably need to add more insulation, I'm doubting if that Baveria has thick insulation.

If I had that requirement (big freezer) I would:
  • Add more insulation (or replace all the insulation)
  • Partition off part of the box to be the size freezer you want.
  • add a second cooling unit driving its own evaporator for the freezer.

Or you could have a refrigeration expert rebuild the whole system including the box to meet your expectations.

Either way, your bigger freezer will cost you more to build and run (probably double power).

In our case we bought a CU85 cooling unit (compressor) with similar capacity to your unit and installed it in a very small but well insulated box with a VD09 evaporator. The inside of the evaporator is the freezer. This is still a very small freezer but we can make ice and freeze about 12 days of meat meals for two of us. This requires about 60Ah (720 watt hours) per day in tropical conditions. We have a simple boat. We are not trying to match the convenience of a land based home here on the boat.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:25   #3

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Check out Engle built in, and portable freezer units. They are well insulated, efficient (1-2 amps per hour), and run DC and switch to AC when available. This is what I am doing to solve the same problem.

As stated by Wingsail, I am not trying to duplicate the comforts of home. I have a simple boat and just need an extra freezer because my small Capri 50 is not good enough as a freezer in the built-in fridge box.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Check out Engle built in, and portable freezer units. They are well insulated, efficient (1-2 amps per hour), and run DC and switch to AC when available. This is what I am doing to solve the same problem.

As stated by Wingsail, I am not trying to duplicate the comforts of home. I have a simple boat and just need an extra freezer because my small Capri 50 is not good enough as a freezer in the built-in fridge box.
A lot of people love the Engle but frankly I am skeptical of that box with its 2" insulation and a swing motor being able to operate as a 15 liter freezer at 1-2 amps average over the course of a day. Maybe in a cold climate but in the tropics I'd guess it would run at close to 3 amps almost continuously, but maybe Engle has found a way to perform miracles.

That is ignoring the elephant in the room (that big box which must go somewhere and take up space in the boat, and must be secured
and have cables run to it). I don't accept stuff sitting on the cabin sole or on any of the settees or beds. The one thing about our boat that is like a home ashore is that it is tidy and uncluttered.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
That is ignoring the elephant in the room (that big box which must go somewhere and take up space in the boat, and must be secured
and have cables run to it). I don't accept stuff sitting on the cabin sole or on any of the settees or beds. The one thing about our boat that is like a home ashore is that it is tidy and uncluttered.
I agree with you, Wing. I'm putting mine under the setee for all the reasons you mentioned, no clutter, securement, and running the wires. I can unscrew the wood top, place the angle in there and then put the setee back together.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
I agree with you, Wing. I'm putting mine under the setee for all the reasons you mentioned, no clutter, securement, and running the wires. I can unscrew the wood top, place the angle in there and then put the setee back together.
That's good, I'm surprised it fits. Under my settees are two fuel tanks and two water tanks and I have room for several packs of cigarettes, too bad I don't smoke.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:54   #7

All my tanks are centerline beneath vberth and aft berth. Also, I don't have any air conditioners, so I have space.

Tags
bavaria