Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2023, 13:34   #31

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Best Chinese Diesel Heaters with Links - 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah, I just looked at the ridiculous prices of kero now! ugh!
Although those little heaters use maybe a gallon a week! ?
They use .135gph. And there are two of them so .27gph

.27 x 24 = 6.48 gallons per day.

With kerosene that’s 6.48x$11 = $71 a day or $2,100 a month.

With diesel it’s not much better.

6.48x $4.20 = $27 a day. Or $816/mo.

Damn.

Of course when it gets warmer, they will use less. But this is the height of winter. It’s very expensive.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 13:52   #32

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
KISS is good. With day tanks especially, do yourself a favor and use Kerosene fuel. You will never be plagued with problems. I used a little centrally located forced air unit on my 44 footer. No ducting, simple outlet spreading heat. Initially tried diesel and it was one problem after the next. Went to kero and no issues. It put out tons of heat with kerosene.
Mine runs fine with a mixture of 30-50% old engine oil volvo and rougly 1l gasoline on 10l oil, 50% diesel from diesel tank. That "mixture" various a bit depending on how much old gasoline from the outboard internal tank and i also always dump bottom of jerry can diesel or gasoline or the last 100ml from the internal tank of outboard into.
Basically garbage burning :-) sometimes it smokes a bit, then add 0.5l on 10l gasoline :-)
If its cold it struggles a bit with the diesel then nossle is blocked. To avoid that add gasoline 0.5-1l on 10l diesel, if its hot it burns diesel or old engine oil straight but a bit gasoline helps to get temps higher so nozzle is not clogging so easy.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 13:58   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Mine runs fine with a mixture of 30-50% old engine oil volvo and rougly 1l gasoline on 10l oil, 50% diesel from diesel tank. That various a bit depending on old gasoline from the outboard internal tank and i also always dump bottom of jerry can diesel or gasoline or the last 100ml from the internal tank of outboard into.
Basically garbage burning :-) sometimes it smokes a bit, then add 0.5l on 10l gasoline :-)
You have an FP.

You run it with no ducts at bridgedeck level? Or in one hull?

How does the other hull fare?

How do you move heat around? Fans?

I would very much love to burn old gasoline and oil and diesel to take a bite out of the heating bill and have more fresh gasoline in the spring.
Old 20-06-2023, 13:59   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

Damn.

Of course when it gets warmer, they will use less. But this is the height of winter. It’s very expensive.
Have you considered one unit just heating where you linger? Why heat two hulls? I wouldn't leave them on overnite anyway when I had one.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 14:02   #35

Quote:
Have you considered one unit just heating where you linger? Why heat two hulls? I wouldn't leave them on overnite anyway when I had one.
Based on my last post up there with the numbers I certainly am considering just one of them. Lol.

It’s interesting that CaptainRivet is using only one for a 44ft cat.

I don’t think heating just where you linger is the right answer. Because if your water tank or your plumbing freezes that’s also very expensive and time consuming.

But no. I can’t have no heat. I can’t be turning off the heat just because it’s nighttime.

If that’s the case these are useless. Might as well get a woodstove again. The small wood stoves are about 10kw. The whole point of these heaters is that they don’t need to be attended all the time.

Glad I started this thread because there seems to be a lot of pitfalls here.

Actually, thinking back to the numbers, I don’t think it would be any more expensive to have two of them. Because it would shut down or go into some low power mode once the place was up to temperature. So two of them will get it up to temperature twice as fast using half the fuel each.
Old 20-06-2023, 14:14   #36

Boat: Pearson 385

38' monohull, 1 heater. I found my consumption per day at OAT 28-35F to be less than 1 gal per 24hrs with a cabin temp between 65 and 70F. Couldn't run constantly at high settings, got too warm. I think I was able to maintain comfortable temps at around 2hz. thermostat setting. Remember, when these are installed as designed, they warm return air from the cabin and use outside air supply for combustion. This way you get to keep the air you previously heated.

As they say, your mileage may vary...
MWGDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 14:19   #37

We do sleep with it on overnight if needed. I sealed all (both) exhaust joints, checked them with a co detector, and we have a co alarm in our sleeping cabin.
Old 20-06-2023, 14:55   #38

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:

Damn.

You won't be running them nonstop (pending on location though).
Few hours per day at the most..

I spent not even 60liter over winter in Portugal, but hey it's not Maine over there...
Old 20-06-2023, 14:59   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWGDVC View Post
We do sleep with it on overnight if needed. I sealed all (both) exhaust joints, checked them with a co detector, and we have a co alarm in our sleeping cabin.
I haven’t considered where to mount mine yet. But it might be outside on the deck. Or maybe in a locker behind airtight bulkheads. Stuff like that.

And that’s good to know from everyone about the real world usage. I mean, I think I’m wintering over this year. So it would be actual cold weather. Snow. Not just a chilly morning or whatever.

So if it’s only a couple gallons a day that’s much better.
Old 20-06-2023, 15:24   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

Damn.

You're making a big mistake with these calculations. That's at max output. You won't run them like that.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 15:27   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You're making a big mistake with these calculations. That's at max output. You won't run them like that.
I like to check the worst case scenario. What will they run at if not the worst case scenario?

You used these in Denmark or similar over the winter, right?

What was your consumption?

I have a huge interior volume to heat. Excessive
Old 20-06-2023, 15:58   #42

We know a little about cold in north AlabamaClick image for larger version

Name:	20150108_042454 (2).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	277051
Old 20-06-2023, 16:06   #43

Quote:
You have an FP.

You run it with no ducts at bridgedeck level? Or in one hull?

How does the other hull fare?

How do you move heat around? Fans?

I would very much love to burn old gasoline and oil and diesel to take a bite out of the heating bill and have more fresh gasoline in the spring.
its in the STB hull engine room installed, a 10cm diameter hose runs fhrough the bulkhead, then y piece into 2x 6cm hose. one is 150cm long heating the owner cabin, the other around 350cm "heating" the salon. the output of the heater is enough without an additional fan. thats the org. routing of hoses factory option ebersbächer. just connected the 50cm 10cm hose heater to y-piece annd connected the input to a ventilation opening, bought the webasto exhaust hose and connected it.
mainly heating owner, the ducting salon was there and just use it. other hull not heated. not necessary and no ducting,so big effort to add there. if i really need to heat BB hull guest cabin (happened once)i just connect a 1000W heater and run from inverter/LFP on the 600W setting.
Old 20-06-2023, 16:34   #44

the
Quote:
Based on my last post up there with the numbers I certainly am considering just one of them. Lol.

It’s interesting that CaptainRivet is using only one for a 44ft cat.

I don’t think heating just where you linger is the right answer. Because if your water tank or your plumbing freezes that’s also very expensive and time consuming.

But no. I can’t have no heat. I can’t be turning off the heat just because it’s nighttime.

If that’s the case these are useless. Might as well get a woodstove again. The small wood stoves are about 10kw. The whole point of these heaters is that they don’t need to be attended all the time.

Glad I started this thread because there seems to be a lot of pitfalls here.

Actually, thinking back to the numbers, I don’t think it would be any more expensive to have two of them. Because it would shut down or go into some low power mode once the place was up to temperature. So two of them will get it up to temperature twice as fast using half the fuel each.
i have 40ft old school cat so small hulls and round deckhouse , comparable to a 36ft Mahe boxy new design from Interieur volume.
mainly heat the owners, the salon gets a bit warm air but its not really heating with around 10-12 degrees Celsius outside, for the admiral thats already Siberia :-)
For serious heating in 0 degrees you need two 8kw for sure. to keep watertank from freezing its i portant where it sits. i don't think they are enough e.en when they are underneath the bed, worst outside. assume you even need the 7-10kW bullerjan woodstove type to make this happen.

what this heaters really deliver and how you burn waste oil watch that video:https://youtu.be/4tiSEGO6pYI
Old 20-06-2023, 18:56   #45

Boat: Island Packet 40

Have decided to go with the cheap models but now stuck on whether I should buy the base unit and permanently install it somewhere or self contained unit on deck and feed the hot air in through one of the dorades.

Tags
diesel, heater