Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2014, 14:12   #46

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Best Head Hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
What's the oldest Trident 101 that you've seen?

Has anyone witnessed odor permeation of Trident 101? I haven't and have a 10 year+ piece in service.
Ours became permeated and was replaced (PVC) at 10 years, but we were beginning to notice it a bit earlier than that. Not full-time use.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 14:52   #47

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Just to be clear, we are talking about the white non-sanitation hose, correct?

I have never had that problem with the proper white sanitation hose (which costs bundles more than the above stuff).

No, I'm talking about Shields Series 148 sanitation hose. Listed here http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-c...nal-LowRes.pdf in both sanitation and freshwater application groups.

I wasn't recommending it, just observing that Shields describes it as a possible choice. (For this thread. In my own application, it was for freshwater.)

-Chris
Old 17-06-2014, 14:55   #48

Re: best head hose

PVC is illegal below waterline says ABYS standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
ABS pipe, only hose is 6" connection at toilet and tank. Almost 20 years, no leaks, no odor.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 14:58   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah, it's weird.... the stuff seems as tough as bear hide when you are installing it. I had the same experience as colemj once.... bumped the nearly new hose that was on a rigid bronze seacock, and one side split spraying seawater like a shower! I think the problem is expanding it to fit. If it simply slips on it may be OK. But it seems to be made to the small side so that never seems to happen.

It was on a seacock? Would that have essentially made it into a pressurized system?

-Chris
Old 17-06-2014, 15:02   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
* Vodka is much more expensive per unit FP than glycol. Even the very lowest shelf.
* The effect on jokers is about the same, perhaps less than PG but more than EG. (I've tested this).

Heh... I was thinking about the bowl in the head, and the joker valve. Only about a jigger's worth.

I usually have cheap vodka around, so that'd save me buying a full bottle of EG for only this one application.

-Chris
Old 17-06-2014, 15:17   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
No, I'm talking about Shields Series 148 sanitation hose. Listed here http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-c...nal-LowRes.pdf in both sanitation and freshwater application groups.

-Chris
Yes, that is the same one I was thinking of. I didn't realize that one of its recommended use was for sanitation. I edited my post after I saw that.

It really is about the poorest choice of the sanitation hoses out there. I would be frightened to have it in our sanitation system! If you want to use hose for sanitation, stick with Trident 101, PolyX, Odorsafe and similar. You really do get what you pay for here (PVC/ABS excepted, of course).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 17-06-2014, 15:18   #52

Yeah, I was just editing myself, too. Our own use was for freshwater, not sanitation.

-Chris
Old 17-06-2014, 15:20   #53
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Range 42

???? A jigger is not going to get you any freeze protection. It will make the bugs frow faster... except that the ethanol will evaporate within weeks.
Old 17-06-2014, 15:25   #54

Re: best head hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
PVC is illegal below waterline says ABYS standards
I think you mean ABYC.

Not all sanitation systems are below the waterline.

Not all boats built use ABYC standards guidelines because they are not built in the US.

Nothing is illegal according to ABYC - they are only guidelines, not laws. There is no penalty for not fulfilling them.

Everyone makes rational decisions around if, and how far, to follow ABYC guidelines. For example, the fuse to our house battery bank is 14" away from the battery post. That is ABYC "illegal", but I feel confident it is OK.

Mark

Old 17-06-2014, 15:38   #55
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

I usually have cheap vodka around, so that'd save me buying a full bottle of EG for only this one application.

-Chris

will work just about as well if you drink it first so get the good stuff
Old 18-06-2014, 04:20   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Range 42

???? A jigger is not going to get you any freeze protection. It will make the bugs frow faster... except that the ethanol will evaporate within weeks.

Old 18-06-2014, 04:27   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
What's the oldest Trident 101 that you've seen?

Has anyone witnessed odor permeation of Trident 101? I haven't and have a 10 year+ piece in service.

That is my question as well, I'm replacing my hose in the near future as the locker my tank is in smells bad, near as I can tell 101 is the hose Peggy recommends?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 07:17   #58
CLOD

Boat: none

Now that I have completed the hose replacement my advise is:

Get the most flexible "good" hose!

BTW - it is pretty much a lost cause to get a barbed fitting into Trident 101 unless you can get perfect leverage to force the fitting into it
Old 25-06-2014, 08:21   #59

Quote:
It was on a seacock? Would that have essentially made it into a pressurized system?

-Chris
It was well below the waterline. A lot of pressure really from a hose like that. Take out your depth sender sometime.... you'll get about a foot and a half of large water column! At least it will on a sailboat.

"Now that I have completed the hose replacement my advise is:
Get the most flexible "good" hose!
BTW - it is pretty much a
lost cause to get a barbed fitting into Trident 101 unless you can get perfect leverage to force the fitting into it "
Yeah, last time I did a major hose replacement it took a week for my arms and hands to recover!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 09:01   #60

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)

I replaced all my sanitation pipes a couple years ago with a combination of Trident 101 and PVC. The design goal was that anywhere black water might sit in a pipe use PVC (like below holding tanks) for sure, an also use PVC wherever it was easy. Use the flex pipe where I had to because of awkward routing. I read all the similar threads to this one back then, did my research, exchanged e-mails with Peggy and came up with this. All seems fine.

This is the first time I've seen a warning about using PVC below the water line. I have it on one of my sanitation seacocks (so always pressurized), with flex pipe on the other. Now you have me worrying...

Here's a tip for getting fittings into Trident pipe - use an automotive exhaust pipe expander like this one: Sears.com. It makes all the difference.

Also I found it difficult finding 1.5" PVC to barbed fittings to connect the hard pipe to the Trident hose. Found this site really useful and very fast with delivery: PVC sch40 and sch80 plumbing fittings - PlumbingSupply.com® They also have all sorts of odd angle elbows for tough turns, and the best PVC Y valves I found (and used). Bottom of this page: PVC sch40 valves - we sell quality

JR
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head