Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2013, 04:59   #1

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47
Best tank materials

If money is no object, what is the "best" material to use for fuel, water and waste tanks on a long-range cruiser?
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 05:08   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
My personal preference would be heavy rotomolded poly for fuel and waste and heavy stainless for water. I pick stainless for water as its the only tank I've ever had that leaves no taste in the water.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 05:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Best tank materials

Practically speaking: Well supported Polyethylene

Theoretically ceramic would be best, but rather harder to do.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 05:27   #4

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Monel is a high end tank material for fuel and water. Tough and more corrosion resistant than 300 series stainless. Agree that polyethylene is best for blackwater.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 06:01   #5

Boat: Gaff Schooner 45' - Talisman of Fambridge

Interesting Question.

I agree that Ceramic would be best but I also think that even with a money no problem attitude Ceramic would be expensive.

I like Stainless Steel but it does rust, it does not like to flex, it does conduct electricity (and heat), it does work harden. It does not taste (once it has oxidised).

All of the others with the exception of Polyethylene are non - starters. Aluminium, expensive, corrodes no I do not like it. GRP? not that bad but unless extremely well made with an Epoxy (Food grade if for water) lining then it is not reliable in the long term.Epoxy faced Plywood can be very successful but again the cost pushes it down the list although it is very easy to work for the amateur or home builder.
I would always opt for Polyethylene, reasonably cheap, easy to work, insulates against heat and electricity. stays clean, in its food grade incarnations it is taste free.

So tank of choice - Roto moulded or welded Polyethylene.

Simes
Old 15-10-2013, 06:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simes View Post
Interesting Question.

I agree that Ceramic would be best but I also think that even with a money no problem attitude Ceramic would be expensive.

I like Stainless Steel but it does rust, it does not like to flex, it does conduct electricity (and heat), it does work harden. It does not taste (once it has oxidised).

All of the others with the exception of Polyethylene are non - starters. Aluminium, expensive, corrodes no I do not like it. GRP? not that bad but unless extremely well made with an Epoxy (Food grade if for water) lining then it is not reliable in the long term.Epoxy faced Plywood can be very successful but again the cost pushes it down the list although it is very easy to work for the amateur or home builder.
I would always opt for Polyethylene, reasonably cheap, easy to work, insulates against heat and electricity. stays clean, in its food grade incarnations it is taste free.

So tank of choice - Roto moulded or welded Polyethylene.

Simes
All materials conduct heat, basic physics.

How is monel a non starter??
Old 15-10-2013, 06:47   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

How is aluminum expensive? It is probably the cheapest tank material used.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 07:04   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Polyethylene has two other advantages, it's translucent so fuel quantity can be seen which is re-assuring and it doesn't form condensation inside like a stainless steel tank when the temperature changes.

However, a custom made polyethylene welded tank for us is $900 and a roto molded tank $250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
How is aluminum expensive? It is probably the cheapest tank material used. Mark
I think mild steel is probably the cheapest material to make tanks out of and lasts quite well. Our 25 yr old fuel tank is still going strong. I had a disaster with an aluminium tank that I won't be repeating and stainless steel has to be secured to stop it flexing or the welds work harden, then leak.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 07:07   #9

Boat: Gaff Schooner 45' - Talisman of Fambridge

Hi Mark,

I should probably point out that I am in England and over here Ally is relatively expensive. As a tank material it does not last long, often due to corrosion, so needs to be replaced on a fairly regular basis.
Is Aluminium cheap in the NW Carib'? how about the cost of getting it welded? Great if it is cheap, go to it. Over here it is not cheap, and lots of metal workers have little interest in it.

Simes
Old 15-10-2013, 07:24   #10

Boat: Orca 38

Hi Guys,

Here in the PNW aluminum is a very viable material for fuel tanks.

These 75 gallon tanks are 1/2" aluminum with all fittings, clean outs, pick ups for a fuel polishing system, baffles, hatches and sensor fittings.

They were professionally made and pressure tested. They cost me about $600 in Port Townsend WA just a few months ago. I believe most of the commercial fishing fleet that gets fitted out there for Alaska also use aluminum.

I didn't realize it was that expensive in the U.K.

I had stainless tanks before that. Corrosion around the welds were their demise. 15 year old tanks, and I expect these to last considerably longer.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	68713  
Old 15-10-2013, 07:31   #11

Quote:
Hi Mark,

I should probably point out that I am in England and over here Ally is relatively expensive. As a tank material it does not last long, often due to corrosion, so needs to be replaced on a fairly regular basis.
Is Aluminium cheap in the NW Carib'? how about the cost of getting it welded? Great if it is cheap, go to it. Over here it is not cheap, and lots of metal workers have little interest in it.

Simes
What about monel??
Old 15-10-2013, 08:57   #12

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Hi Mark,

Simes
I don't need a tank, and don't know about the NW Caribe. I was speaking from US experience, where aluminum tanks are widely made everywhere and cost very little (see other post). Everyone works in it - you can find aluminum tank manufacturers in just about every city.

I'm not defending its use in tanks - just pointing out the US availability and pricing.

Monel would certainly be my choice, but it is almost completely unobtainable in the US and extraordinarily expensive if you find it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 09:24   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

For a money is no object tank... Grade 2 Titanium.

It is immune to corrosion, is biocompatible so there is no leeching of chemicals back to the water, much stronger than plastics.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 09:49   #14

titanium.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 09:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
Hi Guys,

Here in the PNW aluminum is a very viable material for fuel tanks.

These 75 gallon tanks are 1/2" aluminum with all fittings, clean outs, pick ups for a fuel polishing system, baffles, hatches and sensor fittings.

They were professionally made and pressure tested. They cost me about $600 in Port Townsend WA just a few months ago. I believe most of the commercial fishing fleet that gets fitted out there for Alaska also use aluminum.

I didn't realize it was that expensive in the U.K.

I had stainless tanks before that. Corrosion around the welds were their demise. 15 year old tanks, and I expect these to last considerably longer.

John
Half inch aluminum? wow!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote