Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2022, 13:36   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Best water heating option on cat with outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Did I say prohibited? No.
How does a propane water heater company prohibit use on a boat? Do they send the propane water heater police after you? The statement they’re making is to relieve them of any liability Incase of an accident, I don’t think they have the authority to prohibit how you use their product after you purchase it.
If you feel uneasy with the use of a propane water heater on a boat then don’t install one on your boat?

https://sunpacificsolar.net/marine-s...theyre-unique/
"Prohibited" was the word used in the manual of the unit I posted a excerpt of. I would think that means they accept no legal responsibility for explosions.

Many of these units do not operate properly at angles of heel and may seize in the open fuel position that is why they should not be used on boats. But I guess you know better than the people that designed the units.
Old 21-10-2022, 13:41   #77
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
"Prohibited" was the word used in the manual of the unit I posted a excerpt of. I would think that means they accept no legal responsibility for explosions.

Many of these units do not operate properly at angles of heel and may seize in the open fuel position that is why they should not be used on boats. But I guess you know better than the people that designed the units.

My boat doesn’t heel, it’s a catamaran!
Out of the 11 catamarans that we’ve owned 7 came with factory installed propane on demand water heaters. We changed out a couple of those units and installed 1 in a boat that we did a fit out on. 30 years later and no problems.
What I find funny about the Truma is they’re produced for trailers/rv’s but prohibited in boats. If it’s because they can’t handle being on an angle maybe it’s time ABYC got with the times and gave them the thumbs up on catamarans?
We also have no propane solenoid…….
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2022, 13:52   #78
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
What I find funny about the Truma is they’re produced for trailers/rv’s but prohibited in boats.
What is the max angle of heel of an RV/Trailer ?

Perhaps you should call Truma and offer your engineering expertise and lobbying skills.
Old 21-10-2022, 13:55   #79
smj

Quote:

Perhaps you should call Truma and offer your engineering expertise and lobbying skills.

Stick with your ABYC, you’ll be ok
Old 21-10-2022, 13:56   #80

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:

It's less the angle of heel, it's predominantly that trucks and RV vent below, while anything on a boat can collect in bilges an accumulate.

But, I agree it's bizarre that on demand Propane heaters are used wildly in NZ, Australia and the US while in Europe they make a fuss about it.

There are some which have a burning chamber which is completely sealed from the inside of the boat and take vent and exhaust through deck fittings.
Old 21-10-2022, 14:16   #81
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Stick with your ABYC, you’ll be ok
I concede, you clearly know more than the people who design the units.
Old 21-10-2022, 14:18   #82
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
It's less the angle of heel, it's predominantly that trucks and RV vent below, while anything on a boat can collect in bilges an accumulate.

But, I agree it's bizarre that on demand Propane heaters are used wildly in NZ, Australia and the US while in Europe they make a fuss about it.

There are some which have a burning chamber which is completely sealed from the inside of the boat and take vent and exhaust through deck fittings.
Yeah, kinda like buying an electrical outlet that says do not insert tongue.
There will always be some who .... disagree
Old 21-10-2022, 14:18   #83
smj

Best water heating option on cat with outboard?

Quote:
I concede, you clearly know more than the people who design the units.

Yet 7 out of 10 production catamarans that I’ve owned came with factory installed propane on demand water heaters at the time of build, including your fine Canadian built PDQ catamarans.
Guess I’m not a sheep that just follows the flock.
In edit: my mistake, it was 8 out of 10
Old 21-10-2022, 14:25   #84
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post

They also make a fuss about it in the US.
I’ll be the first to admit that an improperly installed or used propane on demand water heater can be dangerous, but one that’s well thought out? Not really.
Let’s face it, if it were up to the insurance company’s they would be much happier to insure our boats as long as we never started the engines plugged in shore power or untied the dock lines.
Old 23-10-2022, 10:41   #85

Quote:
The manual for that unit says "For outdoor use only".
Install that unit in a boat and it's likely insurance will be void.
or when the surveyor finds it, insurance will demand removal.
Just take a look at the warnings. How will you keep it away from all combustable material at a minimum of 1.000mm or 3feet on all sides on a boat?

Cheers
Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Devanti Outdoor Gas Hot Water Heater Portable.png
Views:	32
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	266249  
Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 11:10   #86

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:

Could you tell us which tankless water heaters do not operate properly at angles of heel?

Oh never mind, I know that you won't want to discuss this. Your mode is to make bald faced statements then refuse to discuss or defend them.

But for the other cruisers I can talk about real world experience.

I have been using these for close to 40 years, and I have had several from ancient Paloma's to the modern ones with several, redundant, electronic safety features. I am not sure about the oldest units which used a pilot light because I just can't remember that far back, but as I can recall, and I am positive about all of the more recent examples: they all have worked perfectly at any reasonable angle of heel. All of the ones I am familiar with have solenoid gas shut off valves operated by temperature sensors (multiple). I have removed some of these solenoid valves and it does not seem feasible that they would fail to operate when heeled. I think your claim is a scare tactic and I wish you would substantiate it.

The manufacturers post "Do Not Use on Boats" not because they don't trust their units, but because any propane gas is dangerous on a boat and they don't want to have a liability for fires or explosions. That is a concern of many people, but there are those who are not in fear of propane. For them one of these devices is an efficient and useful solution.

In my opinion, a well installed gas appliance, including a tankless propane water heater is safe, safer than a propane stove, and installation is simple enough that it can be DIY.
Old 23-10-2022, 11:55   #87
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
In my opinion, a well installed gas appliance, including a tankless propane water heater is safe, safer than a propane stove, and installation is simple enough that it can be DIY.
Well the uneducated may put faith in your "opinion" I'd prefer to put my faith in the people who designed the units and heed their warnings.

I have never seen one of these but they claim to be designed for marine use and meet ABCY Standards.
https://precisiontemp.com/wp-content...OM-2-20rev.pdf
Old 23-10-2022, 12:31   #88
smj

Quote:
Well the uneducated may put faith in your "opinion" I'd prefer to put my faith in the people who designed the units and heed their warnings.

I have never seen one of these but they claim to be designed for marine use and meet ABCY Standards.

Your right, it doesn’t take an education to figure out that a propane on demand water heater can be safely installed and used on a boat, it takes common sense, sadly something that many highly educated people lack.
Old 23-10-2022, 14:18   #89

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:

I'm not asking for anyone to put faith in my opinions, just to look at it and think for themselves.
Old 23-10-2022, 14:36   #90

This is like arguing if you drink battery liquid. Just tell anyone that goes sailing with you.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, outboard, water