Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2021, 04:25   #1

Boat: Amel 50
Best Way to Clean Up Antifreeze After Winterization

Thanks to (or as a consequence of) boat yards all being short staffed, I decided to bite the bullet and do the full year-end engine and winterization service myself.

As a first-timer, I managed to spill some propylene glycol antifreeze here and there. It's easy to clean from the bilges, but it's kind of sticky and hard to clean on the wood cabin floor. Does anybody have a product to suggest to clean it up?

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:42   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Best Way to Clean Up Antifreeze After Winterization

Sure. Ordinary Dawn dishwashing detergent, or if it's spots, try Dawn Power Wash. It's not difficult to break down ethylene glycol, and anything "marine" will cost a bunch for little or no advantage.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:45   #3

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Sure. Ordinary Dawn dishwashing detergent, or if it's spots, try Dawn Power Wash. It's not difficult to break down ethylene glycol, and anything "marine" will cost a bunch for little or no advantage.
Dawn strikes again. Where would the world be without it?
Old 01-10-2021, 04:53   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Any liquid soap will do. Even Windex glass cleaner.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:29   #5

Boat: GibSea 472

Why not avoid alltogether the antifreeze for winterisation of all wresh water distribution system. For many years now I use compress air to remove all traces of water in the system, Works well(need to disconect an entry and exit hose however). For my engine cooling circuit, I emply all water by opening the seacocks and also blowing air, However, I always take de precaution to first first pump some plumbing antifreeze and recuperate it(most of it in fact) after opeing the seacocks. So, no pollution nor bad taste .
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:39   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
Why not avoid alltogether the antifreeze for winterisation of all wresh water distribution system. For many years now I use compress air to remove all traces of water in the system, Works well(need to disconect an entry and exit hose however). For my engine cooling circuit, I emply all water by opening the seacocks and also blowing air, However, I always take de precaution to first first pump some plumbing antifreeze and recuperate it(most of it in fact) after opeing the seacocks. So, no pollution nor bad taste .

It depends on the plumbing layout and therefore your confidence level in being able to get all of the water out. Some systems will still have a tiny bit that will eventually puddle in a low point and cause a possible problem.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 19:30   #7

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Best Way to Clean Up Antifreeze After Winterization

Air is great. But as said above some systems are complex enough that air is not reliable or that air require so much disconnection that it’s not worthwhile.
My previous boat? Air.
Current boat?
Propylene glycol based antifreeze. Bypass and drain the hot water tank. I use a refractometer to ensure that each plumbing run,hot or cold, is winterized.
Two heads and a galley and an outdoor rinse. Each with hit and cold feeds. And three foot pumps.
In the spring I do a partial tank fill and full drain several times. This HT red los ermine the antifreeze taste early on
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze